Kiss of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kiss of Death

Changed plug wires, but still felt like a miss. Noticed during a road test it was lacking power, when flooring it felt like it was struggling. Got back home and reved it, and it started knocking and not in a good way. Pulled the valve covers to check the valve train. Started it up and it sounds like it knocking in the bottom end (and not the low oil pressure knock). Thinking it has spun a main or something else serious in the bottom end. Have decided to take what i want off of it, part it out, then scrap it. It was fun while it lasted.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

The engine or the whole car?
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I drove one for months with no bearings or oil pressure, and the PO drove it for over a year the same way. It'll be fine. Go to the track and turn the N20 up.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

This is borrowed time but these engines can live for years on it

See how much juice you can feed it.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Please post up when and what you are parting. I am looking for things tudor specific price pending.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
            The engine or the whole car?
            Will part out everything except the wheels and axles, and anything else required to move it around. I plan on keeping the nitrous system, gauges i've added, and a few small odds and ends. Anything that is left after its been picked over is going to scrap (not a wrecking yard)

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

What will your replacement toy be??
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

seems a little drastic...

Maybe someone would buy it whole? It'd be shame for a knocking engine to be the end of a pretty nice tudor.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Have started tearing the engine down, and removing things I want to keep. Will start selling parts once i get the newer things off.

Comment

Too bad! That was a nice car. For most people, that would be a good excuse to do a performance overhaul of their engine. Though, you may be looking at something lighter (sportier) for a future toy. Good luck!

Packman

Comment

Too bad you're in TX. I'd like to have the doors off that car.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        Too bad you're in TX. I'd like to have the doors off that car.
                        Isn't that a better reason to buy the doors?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          Isn't that a better reason to buy the doors?
                          shiiping would be a killer. I would be willing to bet it would have to go truck. Too big/heavy for UPS.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I would concider the whole car stripped of what you dont want too far for me. Sad end for something only a few thousand of which were made.
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                              shiiping would be a killer. I would be willing to bet it would have to go truck. Too big/heavy for UPS.
                              When I was in a bind I found a door in Nevada or somewhere around there. They wanted 150 just to ship the damn thing. To anyone who hasn't had the privilege to carry one they are just extremely heavy.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X