X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Sucks you're selling it, I found awesomeness today at the yard
    haha what did you find lol.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

He found an 2 door red interior in awesome shape.... IS that how the frame in current condition??
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
        He found an 2 door red interior in awesome shape.... IS that how the frame in current condition??
        yes that is the frame in current condition that plate of steel is in between the rust hole and welded to the rest of the framed to support the lower control arm bolt. it isnt rotted becuase trying to break off a piece of the rust is damn hard i is still very strong. thank god it isnt rotted. that plate of steel sits directly under the control arm bolt so it wont collapse.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
          yes that is the frame in current condition that plate of steel is in between the rust hole and welded to the rest of the framed to support the lower control arm bolt. it isnt rotted becuase trying to break off a piece of the rust is damn hard i is still very strong. thank god it isnt rotted. that plate of steel sits directly under the control arm bolt so it wont collapse.

Comment

800 dollar car, msd coil, k&N filter, true duel exhaust, 25 mpg

Comment

EEK!!!!!!!! That's fucking scary dude. Thought you said you fixed the frame?
              Scary? That's perfectly normal here in Michigan.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thats bad even by Illinois standards. (Not Chicago the rest of the state, Chicago cars are destroyed in 5 yrs)
                1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

I take it the rest of the state convinced their road crews not to salt the roads? I couldn't even start my car one day because the throttle wouldn't move ... got to crawl underneath and chip salty ice off the TV cable.
                  Last edited by 1987cp; 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmashotrod View Post
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

wow...

Since everyone else is just (rightfully) giving you facepalms,
                      I'll say you're REALLYYY underestimating the forces that frame undergoes. There's a reason that metal was as thick as it was from the factory. That repair is just not cutting it. You need to completely rebuild what's rotted out, with thick plating, in a way that better mimics the way it was from the factory. Just because you can't break it off with your fingers or a screwdriver does not mean it will even offer resistance to a 4000 pound car hitting a pot hole or, god forbid, another vehicle.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                        wow...

Since everyone else is just (rightfully) giving you facepalms,
                        I'll say you're REALLYYY underestimating the forces that frame undergoes. There's a reason that metal was as thick as it was from the factory. That repair is just not cutting it. You need to completely rebuild what's rotted out, with thick plating, in a way that better mimics the way it was from the factory. Just because you can't break it off with your fingers or a screwdriver does not mean it will even offer resistance to a 4000 pound car hitting a pot hole or, god forbid, another vehicle.
                        Hammer test is the deciding factor.

Comment

What 4000 pound car? This car should be more like 3500-3600 lbs.

Seriously, though, I think in a lot of parts of the country you're lucky to find a frame as good as Matt's is.

Comment

I dunno. I live in a pretty high-rust area (urban Ontario), and I've never seen one that bad on the road. It sure as heck wouldn't pass inspection. Even if there are other cars out there like that, well, they need repairs too then lol.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                              I dunno. I live in a pretty high-rust area (urban Ontario), and I've never seen one that bad on the road. It sure as heck wouldn't pass inspection. Even if there are other cars out there like that, well, they need repairs too then lol.
                              it passed inspection after i repaired it like that. im not one for cutting frames. this is all becuase of the ac condensor that leaks like always on these cars. it is pretty solid if you feel like redoing the repair i made feel free too. i am not redoing it becuase i am not wasting anymore time with this car. let it go to a good home or it gets scraped.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                                What 4000 pound car? This car should be more like 3500-3600 lbs.

Seriously, though, I think in a lot of parts of the country you're lucky to find a frame as good as Matt's is.
                                I don't know, Buffalo is as salty, if not saltier than Michigan. And I'm used to working on rotted out POS's everyday. Your right that his car is decently clean underneath, but that one section of frame is bad.

That "fixed" (I use the term fixed very lightly) would not pass New York State Inspection under any circumstance.
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X