83 Mark VI CFI to SEFI HO swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 Mark VI CFI to SEFI HO swap

We're doing this to a 1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature series, so far we got 88 Mark 7 with 92 mustang HO engine for parts, BBK headers/Xpipe, Dynomax Bullet mufflers...Right now I'm looking for advise on the SEFI swap since a few members here have done this before I got the general idea of the swap but it is going to be all those little things that is going to frustrate me. Stock engine is blown up, no saving that stock boat anchor.
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

swap all accessories to the new(er) engine (water pump, power steering pump, etc). Can't remember if the timing cover needs to be swapped or not... I'm thinking not, but could be wrong. Then the SEFI stuff on the HO is put in place. You'll rather have the wiring harness from an SEFI crown vic or grand marquis though. That will put all the connections in the right places (AC clutch, Map sensor, etc). The layouts from the fox bodies are quite different. Wiring is the most tedious part (isn't it always). Good luck.

I'm sure there's other tips I'm forgetting... there'll be others chiming in I'm sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Go into the Electrical Vacuum section in the Box Tech forum and I believe there is a sticky about that conversion. If not, contact 85crownhpp; he performed the same swap you're talking about.

Packman

Comment

The link in my sig should help.

One trick I can remember is to grab the fuel rail and lines off a donor box, and just cut them off right behind the quick disconnect at the bottom of the engine where they turn into plastic. That way you can cut the rest of the plastic line off, leaving a nice nipple to clamp some high pressure fuel line to. Repeat on the other end to mate it with the frame rail lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf2968flf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1267773

Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf2971flr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1267774
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
          The link in my sig should help.

One trick I can remember is to grab the fuel rail and lines off a donor box, and just cut them off right behind the quick disconnect at the bottom of the engine where they turn into plastic. That way you can cut the rest of the plastic line off, leaving a nice nipple to clamp some high pressure fuel line to. Repeat on the other end to mate it with the frame rail lines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30248[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30249[/ATTACH]
          That's what I plan on harvesting for him.

Comment

Would the fuel system be up to the task? it has the "WIX" type screw on filter...

Comment

Bump, is there something like the Walbro 255 pump that would fit the 83 Conti? Our cars get driven hard so going lean is something I'd rather not risk.

Comment

Not sure about the fuel pressure... Id look up psi specs for EEC- III and EEC - IV CFI and compare... mine runs great with the stock pump.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I just looked up the pumps and they are the same ones for the 89 crown Victoria, I tried summit racing to see if they had a high pressure pump that would fit and all I got was OE replacements like Carter...So if there is a way to mod the 89 fuel pump with a walbro 255 that would also work with this swap...also this is not going to stay in there for long its getting a stroker fairly soon...so more fuel will be eventually be a must have.

Comment

Welcome back, Jay...
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Thank you for the welcomes

Comment

EEC-III supposedly has to fuel pumps... I don't know if there's any truth to that or not. Anywho. I got some goodies for you today at the junkyard today Jay.

From a 1989 Crown Vic Station Wagon.
                        Complete SEFI Wiring Harness (minus an already cut VSS wiring. But that won't be too hard to tie in to your existing VSS wiring.

Lopo Throttle body with TPS and IAC
                        Lopo EGR spacer with EGR valve
                        Accelerator Cable
                        Throttle Valve Cable
                        Cruise Control Servo Cable
                        Throttle Body Linkage Bracket
                        SEFI Vic Fuel Rail
                        Fuel lines leading to fuel rail
                        Paired with the stuff on the Mark VII parts car and the Mustang engine for necessary sensors and such, you should have a HO SEFI Mark VI Two Door.

Comment

If his car has digital dash, it doesn't have a VSS in the normal place. Its in the digital cluster. Its possible to tap into it, but you probably don't want to mess with it. It would be a lot more work for no reason. One would need to be added to the transmission, plus wiring. If its an analog dash car, then its got VSS wiring already in the normal locations.

also, I could swear theres already an 89 Vic harness up there someplace out of the wrecked car. I don't think that would have gone to the yard with the rest of the car.
                          Last edited by gadget73; 09-21-2011, 10:45 PM.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

normal locations being that POS inline crap attached to the speedo cable and then to the speedo in the dash in my 82. I'd prefer the digital dash or the VSS in the trans. That thing is a PITA!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes it has the digi dash, in fact both of them do, I already had an embarrassing problem with the mark 7 when I ran it out of fuel with "5 miles to empty" lol I was going to use the transmission out of the mark 7 since it has significantly less miles on it and it has the HO governor.
                              Last edited by interceptor1985; 09-22-2011, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X