Top speed limiter? Reprogramable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top speed limiter? Reprogramable?

I have a 2002 Grand Marquis and lets say "hypothetically" , it stops pulling at around 110mph, like it hits a programed wall, even though there is a lot more left, "hypothetically" of course.
    Because who would intentionally break the law by speeding excessively?
    But lets says a guy might "need" to go that fast someday, how can you remove the top speed limiter without spending 300-500 dollars on a flash device?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    I just hope that when I die, I go like my Grandfather, in my sleep, at peace with the world.
    Not like all those screaming, crying, sissies, that were riding n the car with him!

I was going to suggest seeing whether the engine management actually needs to know vehicle speed, with the idea of removing or unplugging the electronic speed sensor, but then I remembered that '90-up used those newfangled ee-lec-tronic speedos.

I will say, I've heard of vehicles available with different tire options from the factory coming with different top speed limits, such as 130 for "H" tires and 150 for "V" tires. If yours is limited to 110, it must have come with "S" speed rated tires and there was perceived to be some sort of liability thing in case someone managed to have a tire blow at 120.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

stock limiter is 114 or so (including marauders IIRC) now if you have a police ECU it is limited to 134 (or is it 131), at least my 97 CVPI is (this was of course verified on a close course under the supervision of professionals).

and the limiters are there due to the driveshafts. the civilian cars got steel shafts that start to vibrate at high speeds, the aluminum and MMX shafts from the police cars and some newer civilian cars have less vibrations. RocketCouch (ADTR.net) actually exploded the tailshaft out of his transmission a few years back at high speed
      Last edited by DuceAnAHalf; 09-22-2011, 05:05 PM.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Wow, Good info DuceAnAHalf!
        There is NO shaft "I" want to blow!
        Much less a drive shaft, in excess of 114mph, even under professional supervision in a hypothetical situation!
        I just hope that when I die, I go like my Grandfather, in my sleep, at peace with the world.
        Not like all those screaming, crying, sissies, that were riding n the car with him!

Comment

Indeed on the shafts. In the marq with the 4.30's you can really feel the vibes hard around 90mph. I have never gone faster than 95 since the gears swap because it vibrates so bad, I was afraid of damaging the tailshaft. An aluminum driveshaft is a must with lower gear IMHO.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Amazing, it was as smooth as silk, no noticeable vibrations at all. (my '02 is bone stock with only 52K miles, maybe that helps)
            It was pulling hard and then just felt like I lifted off the pedal when it got up to the limit.

I found a crashed 2002 P71 locally, and they still have both the ECU and the aluminum drive shaft.
            I will go see how bad the car is bent up tomorrow, and check price, then decide if I really need them that bad?

Thanks for all the GREAT thoughts and answers!

Comment

Yeah the only way to bypass the limiter is to get a programmer or the COP CHIP. Aluminum drive shaft is a must.

Be safe.

-ryan s.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by panama View Post
                Amazing, it was as smooth as silk, no noticeable vibrations at all. (my '02 is bone stock with only 52K miles, maybe that helps)
                It was pulling hard and then just felt like I lifted off the pedal when it got up to the limit.

I found a crashed 2002 P71 locally, and they still have both the ECU and the aluminum drive shaft.
                I will go see how bad the car is bent up tomorrow, and check price, then decide if I really need them that bad?

Thanks for all the GREAT thoughts and answers!
                at the yards here most of the shafts are useless since they pick the cars up with fork trucks which bents the drive shafts. we have found a few usable ones though
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

P 71 ECU 100.00
                  P71 Aluminum drive shaft 100.00

Both have 30 day warranty, now all I have to do is decide had bad I really want/need them.

Comment

I think you need the tail housing with the shaft.
                    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                    X