My 88 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 88 Lincoln Town Car

Picked it up today and snapped a few pics. Here it is in all it's stock glory:

Vinyl top, dirty but not cracked

Rust free frame

Rust free rockers

Stock 5.Slow

Also don't mind the wheel clearance, the driveway is slanted and uneven. On a flat surface it has a slight rake.
    Last edited by 88Vic; 09-29-2011, 05:10 PM.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Base model woo! Half vinyl top. Looks nice. Needs waffle grille and signature seats haha. I like it. Do you have a name for it yet? And what are your plans for it?

Comment

No bad... I would rock it.

Needs Dual exhaust and 3.55 gear.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Nice Towny. I would drive it with pride.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
          No bad... I would rock it.

Needs Dual exhaust and 3.55 gear.
          ...and a mild HO conversion!

Welcome back to the game. I heard you got like married and have a kid now too. If so, congrats!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Very Nice !
            sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Nice car dude! Enjoy as much as I enjoy mine!
              Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
              Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No waffle! very very very nice!!
                2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

Welcome back! Does this beauty have air-ride?
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Nice ride, Lincolns are truly something else
                    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Nice Lincoln! You musta gotten it from an old lady, judging from the lack of rust. I have a feeling it's not going to stay stock for long.

Packman

Comment

I got this from the 3rd owners. They got it from a guy who bought it from an estate auction, where an old lady had it and she garaged it and barely ever drove it. I think it's the proverbial "drove it to church on sunday" car.

Anyways, plans are a mild tune up (just fluids/filters since it runs perfect), stock dual exhaust conversion with muffler deletes and maybe smog pump delete. Nothing major, it runs perfect right now so i'm not gonna molest it. It's great the way it is. Eventually, i'll probably do a stock engine rebuild with HO top end parts and swap 3.55 or 3.73 gears into it with a locking diff like a Detroit True Trac. I also want to get some 15x8 polished wheels and 255/60 tires for a more muscular look. Also I want the front/rear sway bars and all the frame/underhood bracing. It sounds like a lot but not much when you think about it, it'll stay mostly stock as a lot of the parts I want are stock just options.

79LincolnLover, it has coil springs in the rear so i'd guess it's that way in the front too, which is fine by me because they shouldn't collapse on me like the air ride can. Also I can more easily put stiffer springs on in the future, like wagon cargo coils in the rear and police springs in the front.

Tom, I did get married. Actually yesterday was our 1st anniversary/her birthday. And we have a 7 month old son who looks like my mini me, we have pictures when I was his age and you can't tell us apart.

Comment

Update!

No new pics, but tuesday I did two things to my car. First I had the Walker factory dual exhaust put on, and pipe in place of the mufflers. That made a huge difference, now it sounds like it has a V8 under the hood. It's loud but not obnoxious, i'm surprised that the cats alone make that good of a tone, I was expecting a glasspack type sound but it's not obnoxious like glasspacks. More imporantly going from factory single to this made a big difference in power. Instantly I could feel how much easier it pulls. I'm very satisfied for now the way the exhaust sounds and performs. This lopo will always have this exhaust but eventually when I put a rebuilt Explorer engine in, it'll get Mustang headers and real mufflers.

Second, both serpentine belts need replacing. The important one squeals a bit but isn't cracking or worn too badly yet. The one for a/c and smog was horribly cracked and the belt grooves were all the way worn on at least 1/4th the belt, so I disconnected the compressor wiring and cut the belt off (yes I know the compressor helps with the defog, but it works well enough). That also helped a lot, I could again feel a gain from the less resistance on the engine, and it revs faster as well.

Overall with those 2 mods it feels a lot better than stock, doesn't feel near as choked up. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better mileage it gets since it doesn't stuggle as much on hills and even on flat road. I think as far as the actual engine goes, this is as far as i'm going to take the lopo, besides a tune up. I may build a cold air intake for it to see if that helps but beyond that I don't want to mess with it. I don't need anymore power and it gets decent mileage so I don't want to screw that up.

Next on the list besides getting the transmission looked at: the rear windows are off their tracks I think, then I want to replace the shocks which appear to be the factory ones, then locate a Lincoln rear sway bar, since it'll fit on with no modification to the LCA's like a PI bar will. I think it has a sway bar in the front already, so I just need the rear one.

Comment

Nice town car Im looking at one that a local mechanic has for sale for $500. 88 base model tan with tan interior vinyl top is perfect no dents perfect cloth seats very light surface rust on drivers rear quarter. He says hes been working on it for 2 months and cant get it to idle for longer than 30 secs. I ask if he checked the IAC to which he replied the wha? May be a simple fix may not be but for $500 its worth it. I know when I bought my merc it did the same thing wouldnt idle and would die when you put it in gear I set the tps to .9v and cleaned the IAC and been good ever since.
                            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

The Lincoln is sitting at work, water pump decided to throw up anitfreeze all over so it's out of commission until I get around to replacing it, but luckily my 95 Sierra is here to save the day.

Just to let you all know, the Lincoln is probably going up for sale soon, since I have to sell it or my Suburban and the Suburban isn't going anywhere, holds more sentimental and actual value.

Comment

Working...
                              X