No announcement yet.

My 88 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sucks to hear it, but thats a brake upgrade sales pitch if I've ever heard one. At least nobody got hurt.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

From what she told me, it sounds like they locked at least the rears and it wasn't going to stop. I think she was following too close, or maybe driving too fast, not paying attention and panicked when she noticed the car in front hitting their brakes hard, maybe a combo of those. Her definition of following close and driving too fast differ a bit from mine, so I'll never know what truly happened. She was actually on the phone with me at the time it happened, so I suspect she wasn't paying close attention and is afraid to tell me. She called me to ask about the shifter, I told her to drive in 3rd until she hits the highway and then shifted into OD but the shift marker on the dash didn't line up so she wanted to make sure she was doing it correctly. I should've just told her to use OD the whole time, not like it would've killed the trans and probably would've avoided all this. Oh well.

I agree though, 4 wheel ABS is very nice. I also suspect had she stomped the brakes quicker and harder and locked up all 4, it would've slowed in time, but again too late. I've had to panic stop in it before, always did fine for me, even in rain.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

don't even need the ABS, the big brakes are just a lot less inclined to lock up than the stockers are. Locking up the tires will significantly increase stopping distances, its about the last thing you want to do in a panic situation. Thats my favorite thing about the better brakes, you can romp the pedal without it immediately screaming bloody murder and losing most of your control over the situation.

Well, nobody got hurt, and thats what really matters. Sucks about the car, but there are more of them.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wish I could replace it with a Panther, a newer one. I'm gonna try to find an older Civic or something, a little beater that'll get 40mpg and be reliable. I figure there's tons of old Civics and Corollas around, so I'll look for one of those cheap with a 5spd and call it a day.

I'd just use my truck but the transmission is a cold blooded bitch and doesn't like to shift when it's cold outside, I have to double clutch it and rev match to get it to shift in the cold. Gonna change the fluid to GM Synchromesh soon and see if that helps. Rather not buy another car, just don't have the time and especially money for another old can of worms.

Comment

Ryan still has his 03 towny for sale... yes, it's in NY and that would be a hell of a drive to KS... but it's an option.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Parts aren't cheap for those things and they're not all as great as people make them out to be. Co-worker has a 1999 Civic or Accord rice burner and a aftermarket IAC valve is over $200, compared to the A/C Delco we got for the GMC @ $35. Its a four banger five speed and he says it only gets about 24mpg in the city and just under 30mpg on the freeway. My 1994 Grand Am got at least 24 in the city and 30+mpg all day long on the expressway with it's automatic & single cam 2.3 four banger. Too bad they're all clapped out now as I'd get another one if I could.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Around here, Civics that aren't shitboxes tend to go to the latino crowd. The rest for sale are usually the ones that have been fucked up to the point of being scrap metal. I could pick up a decent aero panther for less than a Civic, and it would likely be in much better condition. I'm not really in love with them but I'd drive one way before a riced out / rotted out import.

Comment

Oh man, this could be you though, Thain. VTEC bro. Track day bro. Dat stance bro. Fuzzy dice & tattoos not included.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	civic-ef-so-you-think-you-can-stance-canibeat-stanceworks-itsjdmyo-competition-IMG_7354-copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1278525
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

This would be more like it for me:

Bone stock. Both my brother and friend of mine have Civics that look exactly like this. Both theirs are auto's, but still they're not dirt slow and handle very well. I'd like to find one just like it but with a 5spd. Kept it all stock and not worry about it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X