No announcement yet.

My 88 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget to list it here along with what needs repairs. Sure SOMEONE will snap it up! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

someone with a boat will want a boat so they can pull the boat with their boat and enjoy their boat boat.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll make a listing soon, i'll have to replace the water pump and all it's associated hoses and junk first but after that it should be solid. The water pump took me by complete surprise, no signs at all it was about to fail, hopefully nothing else is like that *knock on wood*.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
          the Suburban isn't going anywhere, holds more sentimental and actual value.
          Have any pics?
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Of my Suburban? I think so, i'll have to dig them up.

Right now the TC is driving ok, the tranny shifts rough from 1-2 and slips if I gas it too hard. I'm gonna have the fluid and filter changed soon by a tranny shop and have them tell me how long they think it has left. I may have a small external aux cooler installed to keep it alive as long as possible.

Plans are to get a tach for it, have the rotors turned and new pads put on as well as bleeding. I'm gonna ride out my current tires for one more winter then throw my AR Outlaw II wheels on, and down the road I want stock Stang shorties, catless downpipes bolting to my stock H-pipe then Thrush Welded mufflers, and a 92-97 k code rear. How much of this will happen, not sure but it's likely since selling the car would result in a massive loss, so it'll most likely stick around a while.

Comment

Of my Suburban? I think so, i'll have to dig them up.

Right now the TC is driving ok, the tranny shifts rough from 1-2 and slips if I gas it too hard. I'm gonna have the fluid and filter changed soon by a tranny shop and have them tell me how long they think it has left. I may have a small external aux cooler installed to keep it alive as long as possible.

Plans are to get a tach for it, have the rotors turned and new pads put on as well as bleeding. I'm gonna ride out my current tires for one more winter then throw my AR Outlaw II wheels on, and down the road I want stock Stang shorties, catless downpipes bolting to my stock H-pipe then Thrush Welded mufflers, and a 92-97 k code rear. How much of this will happen, not sure but it's likely since selling the car would result in a massive loss, so it'll most likely stick around a while.
              Fluid and a filter will most surely kill that AOD.
              Get new rotors, your cooling properties of your rotors will be reduced everytime you cut rotors.

Comment

Why would a fluid and filter change kill it? Will the new fluid make it slip more? And i'm not talking a flush, just dropping the pan and changing what comes out along with the filter. I figured i'd have the shop give me their diagnosis when the pan is off, but i'm pretty sure it's beyond hope anyways.

Comment

Why would a fluid and filter change kill it? Will the new fluid make it slip more? And i'm not talking a flush, just dropping the pan and changing what comes out along with the filter. I figured i'd have the shop give me their diagnosis when the pan is off, but i'm pretty sure it's beyond hope anyways.
                  New fluid is basically a solvent, picture all of the clutch material that's made its way into creveses throughout the transmission, now picture fresh fluid washing that away. Where do you think that crap is going to go? To the filter, potentially clogging it, and crucial ports in the valve body, most of them for lubrication.
                  So then the new fluid becomes blackened already, and now the trans is worse off than before. And by only draining the pan, you've only removed 1/3 of the fluid in the system. There's still like 4 quarts in the torque converter, and some still in the case itself in the valve body.

Comment

It's basically screwed no matter what, so I guess i'll drive it till it does then have it sit again until someone will buy it or I can get the money to rebuild it. I'd think someone would love a clean body/frame to transplant in a new drivetrain.

Comment

Since I don't have a place to do it, gonna have a transmission shop check it out and probably tell me what I already know: it's dying. Oh well, it's up for sale anyways but in the mean time I may throw new plugs into it since I can feel it miss, rather not do a full tune up since i'm gonna sell it but since I still drive it every day I guess I have to, needs new wires, cap/rotor and fuel filter. Should run like a top then, already runs fine except a slight miss.

Also when I start it up it pops more out the exhaust then it used to (like a backfire but not near as loud), not sure what it means but so far it's still running like a champ (knock on wood).

Comment

Update...kinda...sorta...not really

Moved it to the empty spot in my parents garage since my dad is driving my Suburban and it doesn't fit in the garage, so now it's not in danger of being towed and my mint vinyl top is safe. Now I just need to decide if I want to sell it or keep it around. I'd love to keep it but I don't have the funds for it right now and could use the money from selling it. In the meantime, i'm coming up with ideas should I decide to keep it.

Here's a short list, opinions are welcome as long as you're not a tool about it:
                        -stock Mustang shorties and have 2.25" downpipes made and reduced to 2" to bolt to my almost new 2" H-pipe (run just pipe for now until I decide on mufflers)
                        -Mustang upper and TB since I need to take stock off to replace whatever's left of the vacuum lines
                        -rear sway bar
                        -mount my AR Outlaw II's, with 235/60 front and 255/60 rear for muscle look
                        -install cheapo tach
                        -have tint redone, 20% sides and 5% rear
                        -3.73's and trac-loc

Keep in mind this is all academic should I sell it.

Comment

Plan Update

I think soon I'll make progress with this for real. I'm beyond ready to be rid of a car payment, so I've got to get this thing running, legal and figure out what else has gone wrong since I parked it.

To do:
                          -Have transmission shop look at it, and do rebuild or install reman transmission. It'll hurt, but in about 6 months I'll have paid the same amount in loan payments. Like to do a shiftkit and small cooler to help it last a while.
                          -Brakes, tuneup stuff, and replace leaky gaskets and rotted vacuum lines. Maybe do HO upper, but at this point I'd rather just fix it quick and be done.
                          -Lower axle ratio, thinking 4.10 and limited slip. I'll be starting a new job closer to home soon so I won't have much highway to drive. Not that it'll matter having working OD, which will be a first since this one barely would go into OD (then slip) and my old Vic wouldn't go into OD at all. I read on Silverfox's site about a Billet OD Servo, may need that.
                          -Probably should install gauges to monitor things like oil pressure and whatnot.
                          -Tint may be necessary, it's turned quite purple over time and bubbled up a lot more, might be a visibility hazard now.
                          -Not sure how well old tires are holding air, so far only one has gone flat but I can always rotate it to the back. With my new set of wheels, I'll be using winter tires since I'm a big puss when it comes to snow.

That should about do it. Won't be cheap but a lot cheaper than payments, which is the goal. Gonna focus on keeping it running, not making it a hotrod. The 4.10 gears should give it enough push to keep me satisfied for now.

Comment

I think the Panther bug has bit us all lol. The force is strong.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Nice Townie! Get yourself some Sig Series seats and you'll be cruising in comfort!
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Sweet ride dude!

Where can you score those cup holders? I like those
                                "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                                -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                                -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X