My 88 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
    I think the Panther bug has bit us all lol. The force is strong.
    Not as much as just getting tired of the car payment draining the checking account every month. It's one bill I can eliminate, and the Lincoln will be reliable again once I start driving it every day again. Sitting in the garage like this is killing it.

And I have no idea where those specific cup holders can be bought, they came with the car when I bought it.

If I had brought my camera with me (no smartphone here) I could've posted a depressing picture of it. Right now it's under a pile of junk, and if I don't get it out soon it'll look like a barn find.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Well, I think I have the best wife in the world. While I've been busy at work, she arranged to have my car towed (by her dad's company at a big discount) from my parent's house in their garage to a transmission shop to have it rebuilt. It has a new battery and it tagged/insured. I'm still not driving it because it needs a full tune-up but it runs and drives.

Kinda wish she had told me, I need to make sure to get the brass TV bushing on it so I don't smoke the new transmission. After that and a full tune-up (including all fluid changes), need to replace the top end gaskets (not head gaskets I don't think), injector o-rings and vacuum lines. With the upper intake off, I really want to swap a HO upper on it, if I can find one for a reasonable price and the guy is willing to sell me the parts I need, don't need the lower or the Mustang computer. Then I can have a machine shop bore the EGR spacer, weld the TB bracket and I'll be good to go. Also might buy a new set of headers if I can't find any stock HO shorties for cheap. After that, should be good to go for a while. I might eventually put new gears and Trac-Loc in it, but that'll be a ways down the road due to cost. This car is so heavy it does fine in snow, besides since I have the other set of wheels, I might mount winter tires to the stock wheels.

There's a big list of things right now, like gauges and new tint. Also the a/c isn't blowing cold like it used to, need to recharge it and find out how long it lasts. If it leaks bad and I can't fix it for cheap, I'm just gonna go all Roadkill on it and take the belt off, run it without a/c and smog. I ran it like that when the old belt was about to shred and it had better throttle response without it.

I forgot how much I like that car, rides so smooth and the exhaust sounds so great when the cats are cold. When I get headers, it won't have cats so that'll be nice.

Comment

Awesome! Looks like you're back in the game!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I'll really be back once I sell my 4Runner and get $360 a month back. Then again, might use that money to upgrade to a house, really tired of bs apartments. Once I get a garage to fill up with tools, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Comment

Does this look like the brass tv bushing to you? Looks like it to me, so I can start driving the car regularly now if I want.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8&l=74aa478dde

Comment

That's it, I assume the pic is of your car, you're good to go.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Looks like a steel one, and its upside-down looking. The "hat" should be towards the bottom and the clip sits on top. Unless the thing I'm seeing on top is actually the clip. The brass ones sit such that there is not really any gap between the shoulder on the bushing and the bottom of the throttle body. The steel ones may be cut a little differently.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Came here to say some of what Thain said lol.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The little cotter pin (if that's what it's called) is on the top of the tb bracket. It looks shiny from the side but kinda looks like plastic from the top, hard to tell. Would the plastic one be a light color like that, or would it be black? I imagined the plastic one being black.

Comment

the plastic could be black or white.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought there was something funny looking about that setup. I put my brass bushing on like 2 years ago so I had to go look at it to see how I put it on. I did read in other threads that you can put the bushing on either way, but I agree with gadget on which way it should go. I really need to do some cleaning but here's a picture of mine:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150813_184942847[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1278116
                        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 08-13-2015, 08:24 PM.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Pretty sure it's not gonna hurt anything this way, the cotter pin looks secure and I can't move it around so I don't think it's going anywhere. Next time I'm going by the shop, I'll have him look at it again to confirm if it's metal or not. I could take the intake tube off, but it's kind of a pain to get back on.

Debating on new tires soon, current ones have tiny dry-rot cracks in-between the tread, so probably should. I figure as long as I keep proper pressure in them and don't drive too fast, should last me until the snow falls at least. The tread itself isn't too bad, kinda like to know how good it is in the snow, definitely gonna find a shop that'll do an oil undercoat.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                            Pretty sure it's not gonna hurt anything this way, the cotter pin looks secure and I can't move it around so I don't think it's going anywhere. Next time I'm going by the shop, I'll have him look at it again to confirm if it's metal or not. I could take the intake tube off, but it's kind of a pain to get back on.

Debating on new tires soon, current ones have tiny dry-rot cracks in-between the tread, so probably should. I figure as long as I keep proper pressure in them and don't drive too fast, should last me until the snow falls at least. The tread itself isn't too bad, kinda like to know how good it is in the snow, definitely gonna find a shop that'll do an oil undercoat.
                            Yeah, according to what I've read in other threads it's not wrong to have it that way.

For the driving on questionable tires, from experience I can say take it easy on corners. I had tread separate on an old tire after pushing it through a turn (like I often do). It was an old spare that I had just put on a couple days earlier, luckily I had a second spare in the trunk.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I can't push it hard through corners, doesn't have a rear sway bar, rolls like a canoe in the corners. I really want to find a rear bar and install it, current body roll is not gonna fly, I don't like to use my brakes to take a turn.

Also does anyone know if I can install a bigger rear window where the smaller coach-roof window is? I'd like to know in case I get the urge to do a slicktop when I have my windows re-tinted.

Comment

The full size glass should go in there, but the fiberglass thing needs to go first. Towncars look right stupid without a top. Lots of ugly body lines under there.

Comment

Working...
                                X