Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

04 MGM weird sound on startup sometimes-call me stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

04 MGM weird sound on startup sometimes-call me stupid?

Well, don't call me stupid, but this is a sound I am unfamiliar with. Just got an '04 Grand Marquis and when I start it sometimes, there is a muffled blatty sound that lasts several seconds then winds down. Doesn't always happen, but it's semi-frequent. Even if the car has only been shut off for like 10 minutes or so. Almost sounds like a semi in the distance driving down the freeway decelerating. Sounds odd I know but in my abstract mind it's the best way to describe it.

Other than that having me wondering/concerned what it is, I'm loving the car. I'm losing power from my (modified) 400 horse G8 but I don't care about that anymore. Fuel milage in the Merc seems a bit better than the Pontiac. The leather feels more like leather (even if it's not) than the stiff crocodile testicle hide in the G8.
    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate
    2008 Mustang GT with some toys on it

I would guess its the air-suspension pump.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah. Its the air compressor. It can be kinda loud sometimes. After its been sitting for a few hours try just turning the key to the on position (engine off). The pump will turn on... Watch the backend of the car... it will rise up a little bit.

The leather is actually leather... however 2003 was the last year the leather was really nice and soft.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Helps relieve me. Last thing I want to do is get into a car and have something blow or huge expense on my hands. The shocks and stuff I'm doing now (new rack soon) I can handle. Watching a tranny blow on me would not a happy me make.

And that's good to know about the leather, it feels better than the crap in my G8, though the seats in that do have better support, but my GM is still nice and comfy.

Comment

These things are some of the most comfortable cars on the road today. A buddy of mine, owned quite the classic car collection until a few months back. When he auctioned them, I don't know how much he got, but it was a lot. He has an 03 Grand Marquis he picked up on a whim, probably because he heard me talking about them, and has fallen absolutely in love with it. He talks to me more about that car, more than he ever did about any of his show cars.
          Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
          AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
          Open/Lock/Ratio #
          -----------------------
          G / H / 2.26
          B / C / 2.47
          8 / M / 2.73
          7 / - / 3.07
          Y / Z / 3.08
          4 / D / 3.42
          F / R / 3.45
          5 / E / 3.27
          6 / W / 3.73
          2 / K / 3.55
          A / - / 3.63
          J / - / 3.85

Comment

Yeah, I talked my dad into getting an 05 GMQ. He loves it.

Vankor, whereabouts in WI are you?
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I'm due east of Milwaukee, in a place formerly known as "Prairieville". Any more hints needed? :P

Comment

Wackeeesha?

I'm in the Northshore area...with all the Nancies....
                1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Yes, Wackysha, or as some folks of an ethnic persuasion say, "Wau-Keesha". I have some friends who live in Helenville, that's about as close as I've gotten to your area, other than long drives out West when I go on vacations.

Comment

Idk where Hellenville is. haha I meant the Milwaukee Northshore area. The northern burbs if you will.
                    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

FYI- ALWAYS turn the Air Ride OFF when putting th car on a lift or jacking up the rear end.
                      The off switch is in the trunk, on the left hand side.

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks SVT, I'm taking it bad things will happen? I had the car taken to a shop before I bought it, and they put it on a lift but I don't think they turned the air ride suspension off...

Comment

Yeah, the pump will continuously run because it's trying to raise the rear axle, but because the car is in the air, the switch will never shut it off. Then the pump burns out. The you have to change the pain in the ass...etc.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                          X