86 GM 5.0 with bad miss/sputtering/jerking. some Help would be nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 GM 5.0 with bad miss/sputtering/jerking. some Help would be nice

Have an 86 GM 5.0 65K miles with a bad miss , sputtering, jerking . It occurs at light throttle the worst, but can feel it at all speeds. Occurs when Cold or Hot, but slightly better when hot. Car has good acceleration. Pulled plugs twice after coming home, they are all wet like a rich condition. PCM shows no codes. FYI, This is a Canada Car, and the engine compartment layout more like an 88 Lincoln than a 86 GM. Did all the cheap/free things first. Checked battery voltage -OK, checked charging voltage- OK Checked Timing -right @ 10 deg, checked compression – 145 +- 5 all cylinders, checked vacuum – AOK, reseated salt and pepper shaker connectors, , cleaned Throttle Body , vac tested EGR and cleaned, cleaned IAC (helped Idle but not much else), removed and cleaned all ground and power connections in engine compartment, checked fuel pressure – OK, checked (listened to) all the fuel injectors I could get at 6 out of 8 sounded fine but couldn’t reach the 2 deep under the manifold , .

CHANGED Plugs, Cap, Rotor, and Wires. PCV Valve, Screen and Grommet, Checked coil input – OK , Checked coil resistance , was iffy so changed Coil, changed throttle position sensor & set, Changed distributor complete with Ignition control module, and PIP sensor , Seafoamed engine and ran 2 bottles of injector cleaner in gas.

All of the above was done over a three week period and still runs badly. I don’t want to continue throwing parts at it. Would appreciate any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Welcome to GMN!<br><br>My first thought about sputtering at part throttle would be the TPS (throttle position sensor). But if you're feeling it all through the throttle range, that might not be it.&nbsp; It's an easy thing to test. It's right on top of the throttle body and only held on with two screws. Most auto parts stores can check them for you for free. <br><br>If you're getting a rich condition across multiple cylinders, you may want to look a bit closer at the oxygen sensors. <br><br>Having said that wait for Lincolnmania to reply. He is the guru when it comes to these cars. <br>
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

also... check the vacuum hose from the MAP sensor (located on the firewall above the heater core... or general location) if that's leaking... it'll cause no end of crap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by meandad View Post
        Have an 86 GM 5.0 65K miles with a bad miss , sputtering, jerking . It occurs at light throttle the worst, but can feel it at all speeds. Occurs when Cold or Hot, but slightly better when hot. Car has good acceleration. Pulled plugs twice after coming home, they are all wet like a rich condition. PCM shows no codes. FYI, This is a Canada Car, and the engine compartment layout more like an 88 Lincoln than a 86 GM. Did all the cheap/free things first. Checked battery voltage -OK, checked charging voltage- OK Checked Timing -right @ 10 deg, checked compression – 145 +- 5 all cylinders, checked vacuum – AOK, reseated salt and pepper shaker connectors, , cleaned Throttle Body , vac tested EGR and cleaned, cleaned IAC (helped Idle but not much else), removed and cleaned all ground and power connections in engine compartment, checked fuel pressure – OK, checked (listened to) all the fuel injectors I could get at 6 out of 8 sounded fine but couldn’t reach the 2 deep under the manifold , .

CHANGED Plugs, Cap, Rotor, and Wires. PCV Valve, Screen and Grommet, Checked coil input – OK , Checked coil resistance , was iffy so changed Coil, changed throttle position sensor & set, Changed distributor complete with Ignition control module, and PIP sensor , Seafoamed engine and ran 2 bottles of injector cleaner in gas.

All of the above was done over a three week period and still runs badly. I don’t want to continue throwing parts at it. Would appreciate any suggestions?
        You say there were no codes... what do you mean? you got a constant code 11 or you got no response from the ECM when you checked for codes?

If you got no response from the ECM, I would check and repair the EEC connector and check for codes again, you should at least get a system pass code (code 11)

I would also replace the engine thermostat and for giggles replace the fuel filter.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
          Welcome to GMN!<br><br>My first thought about sputtering at part throttle would be the TPS (throttle position sensor). But if you're feeling it all through the throttle range, that might not be it.&nbsp; It's an easy thing to test. It's right on top of the throttle body and only held on with two screws. Most auto parts stores can check them for you for free. <br><br>If you're getting a rich condition across multiple cylinders, you may want to look a bit closer at the oxygen sensors. <br><br>Having said that wait for Lincolnmania to reply. He is the guru when it comes to these cars. <br>
          Already changed the TPS, new one measures within the spec like it's supposed to. I thought the Oxygen sensors would only be read after it warmed up. Thanks for the reply John

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
            You say there were no codes... what do you mean? you got a constant code 11 or you got no response from the ECM when you checked for codes?

If you got no response from the ECM, I would check and repair the EEC connector and check for codes again, you should at least get a system pass code (code 11)

I would also replace the engine thermostat and for giggles replace the fuel filter.
            I should have said I got nothing but code 11. I just checked the cold and hot resistance on both the temperature sensor, and the Manifold temp sensor. they are both within range, and increment as they get hotter. Also checked the EGR sensor, and it's output voltages are also within spec. Also pulled off and reseated the PCM connnector. All no help. I was going to change the fuel filter but was afraid to mess with the fuel lines. They are not in good shape. It was replaced about 5 years ago anyway. Also when I checked the fuel pressure, it was fine, and the fuel was water white. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              also... check the vacuum hose from the MAP sensor (located on the firewall above the heater core... or general location) if that's leaking... it'll cause no end of crap.
              I was thinking about changing the Map sensor. I don't have a scope to check it. The vacuum to it is fine though, as is the
              vacuum in general. Thanks for the reply

Comment

try unhooking the vacuum to the MAP. If it runs better, replace the MAP. It should run much much worse, but the few times I've seen a bum MAP, it runs like its disconnected with the vacuum line on it, but runs normal with the vacuum line unhooked.

There is apparently some way to check the MAP sensor using a tachometer to read the frequency output. I've never tried this, but it makes sense to me.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ap-sensor.html
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  try unhooking the vacuum to the MAP. If it runs better, replace the MAP. It should run much much worse, but the few times I've seen a bum MAP, it runs like its disconnected with the vacuum line on it, but runs normal with the vacuum line unhooked.

There is apparently some way to check the MAP sensor using a tachometer to read the frequency output. I've never tried this, but it makes sense to me.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ap-sensor.html
                  I Didn't try unhooking the vacuum to the map sensor. I'll try it if it stops raining before I have to go to work. I've heard of the tachometer thing, but I think thats one of those "Is it working at all" deals rather than being able to see if it was in spec. Thanks for the reply

Comment

I should have said I got nothing but code 11. I just checked the cold and hot resistance on both the temperature sensor, and the Manifold temp sensor. they are both within range, and increment as they get hotter. Also checked the EGR sensor, and it's output voltages are also within spec. Also pulled off and reseated the PCM connnector. All no help. I was going to change the fuel filter but was afraid to mess with the fuel lines. They are not in good shape. It was replaced about 5 years ago anyway. Also when I checked the fuel pressure, it was fine, and the fuel was water white. Thanks for the reply.

replace the the thermostat.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I Didn't try unhooking the vacuum to the map sensor. I'll try it if it stops raining before I have to go to work. I've heard of the tachometer thing, but I think thats one of those "Is it working at all" deals rather than being able to see if it was in spec. Thanks for the reply
                      Tried it. Ran terrible, and kept stalling. I'm running out of Ideas.

Comment

did you clear eec and let it relearn after all the new parts?
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                          did you clear eec and let it relearn after all the new parts?
                          Good Point, No I didn't after Ichanged the distributor, but I did after most of theother parts. I'm really thinking of buying a better set of new wires. I could always use them on my truck if they don't help. Thanks for your reply

Comment

Did it start doing this all of a sudden or gradually over time?
                            If there are any junkyards near you I'd go nab a MAP sensor to try. Also you can test TPS function with a multimeter by probing the wires with it plugged in, key on. Black is ground, one should read 5 volts steady, and the other should vary from 1 to 4.5 volts or so as you open/close the throttle.
                            Of course double check the ECM ground at the battery terminal clamp too.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Also when I checked the fuel pressure, it was fine, and the fuel was water white. Thanks for the reply.
                              What do you mean "water white"? did you mean "water clear" ? If your fuel supply could be questionable Id get it out and some fresh in. Ethanol gas is supposed to "go bad" much quicker...
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X