351 windsor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351 windsor

Just was think of some stuff to do to it its a stock 351 2bbl vv in a 1980 coupe.Around the area i live H.O stuff is every were. im gonna drive the car so i dont want to make it a pig on fuel. just lookin for a good combo before i start to tare down a 85 tho km windsor. what would i expet from a set e7s or gt40s and mabey a good center head and carb. what cfm should i go with. i now were there is a 85 f-250 with a 351 4bbl for cheep would this be a good investment.Click image for larger version

Name:	1980 merc.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1298439
    thanks for the info

also i dont mind spendin some money to make it work

Comment

E7s wount do it much good basicly thats whats on it. GT40s are the minimum head to use basickly the 40s are copys of the original heads the Ws came out with back in the conception of the engine. For best economy even bigger heads can be used as even the 40s are a bit small for that size engine.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

If you find GT40s for cheap, you can use them. You would basically have a Lightning engine minus the EFI. I know people that run AFR's on their 5.0L strokers and like them. I have been told that Trick Flow 170 street heads are the equivalent to the AFR 185 heads and are cheaper. This is of course, if you want to spend a little money. If I were to build a 351W, I would probably go with Trick Flow since they have a good reputation with the Windsor Ford SBF.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          If you find GT40s for cheap, you can use them. You would basically have a Lightning engine minus the EFI. I know people that run AFR's on their 5.0L strokers and like them. I have been told that Trick Flow 170 street heads are the equivalent to the AFR 185 heads and are cheaper. This is of course, if you want to spend a little money. If I were to build a 351W, I would probably go with Trick Flow since they have a good reputation with the Windsor Ford SBF.

Packman
          i mention a f-250 above for cheep. it has a 5.8 4v h.o so that would have gt40s correct me if im wrong. ive just leard from hangin around the grarage. so if i was to put them on with a good peformer intake it would be a prettty good setup for now. till i get the craving for a 408 lol

Comment

Just sticking a 4V on your current engine can make a surprising bit of difference. My P72's previous owner rebuilt the original 351W with a Performer cam, carb, and intake, and nothing else fancy except for higher compression and BBK tubular exhaust manifolds, and reports that it was a great tool for putting local ricers in their place.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Just sticking a 4V on your current engine can make a surprising bit of difference. My P72's previous owner rebuilt the original 351W with a Performer cam, carb, and intake, and nothing else fancy except for higher compression and BBK tubular exhaust manifolds, and reports that it was a great tool for putting local ricers in their place.
              Haha thats what i want

Comment

the 351 ho truck engine is pretty much what's in your 80 minus the restrictive cast iron 4 barrel intake and the electronic controlled holley 4 barrel.....dont waste your time with the truck intake and carb, either put a motorcraft 2150 2bbl on it or get an aftermarket dual plane intake and a 4bbl carb.
                my second car was a 78 cougar with a 351w i had a holley intake and carb a crane econopower cam and hollowed cats and 2.25" duals, it ran really well and was good on fuel if i did not beat on it.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  the 351 ho truck engine is pretty much what's in your 80 minus the restrictive cast iron 4 barrel intake and the electronic controlled holley 4 barrel.....dont waste your time with the truck intake and carb, either put a motorcraft 2150 2bbl on it or get an aftermarket dual plane intake and a 4bbl carb.
                  my second car was a 78 cougar with a 351w i had a holley intake and carb a crane econopower cam and hollowed cats and 2.25" duals, it ran really well and was good on fuel if i did not beat on it.
                  Right on so no differance in the heads. what might have a 2150 on it and if i do go gt40s stock cam good 4bbl and intake what cfm should i go with

Comment

600 to 750 cfm

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Wouldn't an '80 have D8OE heads? Those are supposed to be identical to E7s except for the chamber size. I recall seeing that my '79 351W was rated at 8.3:1 static compression.

F3ZE heads also have relatively large chambers ....

Comment

I don't know what came in the '85 F-250's, but I would probably guess that the stock cylinder heads were originally for a 5.0L. See if you can score a set of GT40 heads. Though, now that I think of it, are the GT40's made for hydraulic flat tappet cams? As I mentioned before, you may want to look into getting a better set of aftermarket cylinder heads; if you have the money for it.

Packman

Comment

E5s
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                            As I mentioned before, you may want to look into getting a better set of aftermarket cylinder heads; if you have the money for it.
                            This is true - a $1000 or $1500 set of heads seems like a lot, but it's easy to spend a goodly chunk of that, as much as $600 or maybe even more, on reconditioned stock heads - only to still be stuck with boring stock heads. So, not saying stock GT40 heads are a bad idea, but don't expect them to turn your car into a rocket ship either.

Comment

food for thought:

My fairly well scienced-out Engine Analyzer Pro simulation of a stock headed 351W with a truck intake and 4-barrel carbs goes from 230ish hp to 324 when you throw on a set of TFS 205 heads, even at a meager 8.9 to 1 compression ratio and with no other changes. 40ishlb ft more peak torque and more torque from 1500rpm (basically stock stall speed) up. Optimal shift points with an AOD go up by 600RPM or more, but you're gaining huge times even if you keep the shift points where they were optimal for the stock-headed setup.

It's a simulator and I'm not 100% sure on the port diameter numbers for the heads, but it gives an idea of just what that money buys you. Night and day difference, and again that's without any "supporting" mods. 325hp at the crank and that's a simulation with shorty headers, street exhaust, emissions equipment, significant blowby, very mild compression, stock cam, etc.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                              X