CFI to roller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI to roller

I have a roller motor for my vic, its all stock from a mustang, but has a roller cam. Will my cfi operate with this motor? Need opinions fast. Thanks.

Blane
    85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
    09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
    79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
    64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Originally posted by 85ltd View Post
    I have a roller motor for my vic, its all stock from a mustang, but has a roller cam. Will my cfi operate with this motor? Need opinions fast. Thanks.

Blane
    Come to think of it, it won't work. It'll be pulsing the wrong side injector. Though there's only 2, I think the difference in the firing orders will cause some misfires. Convert it to SEFI, or Carbed.

Comment

I guess doing the HO CFI setup comes to mind, but I recall discussion to the effect of it being hard to find, hideously impractical, and still not very tolerant of anything different than what it came on.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I can't remember, but were those 85/86 CFI H.O.'s roller motors or not?, I think they were!

Still, I don't see why you can't have CFI on a roller motor. Having said that, I would rather go with SEFI myself. But not because the motor has a roller cam in it. If CFI is the choice because of cost, I'd go with it.

Comment

'83-'85, IIRC. Auto Mustangs and V8 Fox LTDs. And no, I'm pretty sure the CFI HOs were nonroller.

The only real problem with sticking your stock CFI on - well, most anything - aside from 86VickyLX's concern - is the likelihood that the fuel calibration will probably be a good bit off from what the "new" engine needs. Do you have a way to tune it?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            I guess doing the HO CFI setup comes to mind, but I recall discussion to the effect of it being hard to find, hideously impractical, and still not very tolerant of anything different than what it came on.
            IIRC, Someone on here found a HO CFI computer and unit. It didn't really act any different than the stock shit. Save for maybe a different injector pulsation.

Comment

You could always go ahead and convert it to run the SEFI fuel injection too
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Pete had a non-HO roller motor with CFI on it. It worked. I wouldn't try running CFI on an HO engine though. it would run too lean. You'd be better off sticking a 2bbl carb or going with real fuel injection.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

SEFI for the win, better mileage, power and tuning capability's with the SEFI might as well update to take advantage of it all and its honestly not all that much more to do it.
                  YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Question, since I keep hearing the term used, what's "CFI"? I understand that the early motors are TBI instead of MPFI... but what's CFI?

Unless... it means Cross-Fire Injection, like the '82 and '84 Corvette? If so...
                    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

CFI = Central Fuel Injection. Its that carb/efi thing you have. Chevy used Throttle Body Injection. Same thing, different name. Ford also had Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection where GM had Multiport Fuel Injection. Again, similar concept, different name.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, okay. So it's Pretty much a larger version of this then? Kind of like my old man's '93 Buick Roadmaster I'm guessing.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpGxKBQVS14

Any functional differences between the Ford and GM designs? I know GM used a MAP sensor to determine how much fuel to inject, and the injector was pretty much a constant spray.

That car wouldn't start with the throttle open. It was pretty fun to occasionally use that quirk trick my friends into thinking the car won't start and we're stranded, lol.

Not trying to derail the thread here, just hungry for information.

Mind you guys, I'm a GM/Toyota head here. This is only the second FoMoCo product that I've ever owned, lol.
                        Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 10-10-2011, 12:44 AM.
                        1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Working...
                        X