4.6 PI Motor Swap With OBD-I Setup 1992-2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.6 PI Motor Swap With OBD-I Setup 1992-2000

Hi guys, a little uncharted territory here for me, but I thought I'd make this thread to tell you about what would be needed to make a PI engine work in your Aero or Early whale. As you all know, the 4.6 PI motor wasn't introduced to the panther platform until 2001 (whereas the Mustang got it in 98 I believe). Anywho, this thread will be dedicated to fitting a PI motor into an older 4.6 panther. This thread will be broken down into sections. As Scott and I progress on the install on Slymer's 1993 Crown Vic 2003 PI 4.6 swap.

Fuel Injectors

Anywho, while doing some research on fuel injectors for Slymer's 1993 Vic, I found out something interesting, let me first explain what fuel injectors were used throughout the years of the 4.6 in the panther.

The earlier ones 1992-1999 (1991 for TownCars) used these 19lb injectors . Or some other variation of a 19lb injector.

The Panther from 2000-2004 used orange fuel injectors like this (Part Number XL2E-9F593-C5A) These are rated at 13.5lbs. Believe it or not. This is what surprised me...
    2005 used 12lb injectors (part number 5W7Z-9F593-AA) even smaller! (personally, I wouldn't want to mess with anything newer than 04, since in 05 the drive by wire stuff came in, so who knows what else was changed between the 04 and 05 motors...).

2006-2011 Crown Vics used 25lb injectors (part number 6W7E-A5A)

Unless you are springing money for a computer chip or tune, you're safest bet is to use the 19lb injectors on your 1999 and older 4.6 panther, and the 13.5lb injector on the 2000 panther. Since the flow rates are matched with fuel pressure. I need to do a little more research on the pressures of the 2000-2002 panther, since I believe that they still had a return fuel system. 2003+ had a returnless system with higher fuel pressures. I will continue this section, as I gather more information... More later.

Comment

found the simple version of the conversion to COPs from packs... http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=88

a little re-wire and done. Looks like this should work with the EDIS just fine.

Originally posted by guitar maestro
      ok here is my final write-up with pics/diagrams

here are the wires i found on my 97 Cougar 4.6:

**All wire connections should be soldered and wrapped in electrical tape**

i opened up the wire loom on the main harness coming out of the passenger side ffrom the EEC, and cut all 5 wires and proceeded to install the COPs onto the intake manifold.........you will need some metric screws m5 x 0.8 pitch, 20mm long, in case you dont have the ones that come on from factory........you can get some at Ace Hardware, or i believe they are like $1 each and come in packs of 4, which you can get from Dan Newman.........here is where i opened up the main harness to make all connections:

although i didnt get a shot of the wires inside the main harness, if SirWill would be so kind as to immortalize me with a Tech Article opportunity, i'd gladly take everything apart to get even more pics

moving along........first i soldered two wires to the ignition wire.........one long enough to reach the coil at cylinder 1, and the other long enough to reach cylinder 7 (routing this wire behind the manifold)........then i wired up the first pair as follows:

**A half-circle on a wire crossing another wire means no electrical connection is made**

this is what one of my COPs looks like with the connectors i used:

now onto wiring the second pair........since there is already power going to the first coil, i spliced in a very short piece of wire to also power the positive side of coil 3:

to wire up the 3rd pair, i powered coil 7 first with the second wire i soldered to the ignition wire at the harness, then went along to coil 4:

i then did the same thing to power coil 8, as i did to power coil 3.....spliced in a short piece to the wire that powers coil 7, then went along to coil 2:

and there you have it.........just gotta secure all the wires neatly with electrical tape or plastic ties and cover it up in plastic wire loom, and tape up the main harness, and you've just saved a ton of space........this is how the driver's side looks like with all COPs in place:

a before shot of my engine bay:

and now after:

as you may or may not notice, the power steering reservoir is holding on to dear life with some plastic cable ties (LOL), since i haven't devised a way to permanently support it........im gonna get with Dan Newman and find out if i can get the support bracket from a COP-equipped Ford 4.6 vehicle to see if the bracket they use for the PS reservoir will bolt onto my front cover

a couple other things i should cover.........you'll notice that the noise-capacitors that are bolted to the brackets are not there.........i didnt notice any ill effects with them removed, so i chopped them off and left it that way

you will also notice that the red/green vacuum lines that also went to the passenger side bracket and connect to the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid are not there..........what i did was chop off the connector with a few inches of slack on the wire and spliced it in to the wires at the main harness........i then cut the red and green hard vacuum lines right around the passenger side fuel rail, and used rubber vacuum hose to route them to the vacuum solenoid now secured at the rear of the engine bay to the main harness with some cable ties.........yea its not pro work or anything, but i could care less how it looks back there hidden from view........hehe

and that about covers it folks....at least until i get a tech article :p
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sly; 10-21-2011, 01:18 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

excellent!

ivan fabbed up the egr pipe last night

we are using 93 exhaust manifolds with the 03 engine and intake. had to order a 98-02 egr valve........the 93 and the 03 egr pipe have to be connected together. vids soon.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

That looks incredibly weird to me. Am I to understand that the Modular V8 has its spark plugs going into the intake side of the head instead of the exhaust side?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

that'd be correct. The plugs and COP unit or plug wire come in through wells in the intake manifold. Makes changing plugs easy access, but the wells make it likely to gather dirt and water so you have to blow them out before pulling the plugs loose or stuff drops in the hole that ought not be there. It also makes them prone to misfire with bad valve cover gaskets or after engine washing because the wells fill up with liquid.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A neat little tidbit of info about the manifolds. The exhaust manifolds on the early 4.6s have larger ports that bolt to the heads, but at the collector side, the diameter is smaller. Viceversa for the PI exhaust manifolds, also with a different angle for the collectors...

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                that'd be correct. The plugs and COP unit or plug wire come in through wells in the intake manifold. Makes changing plugs easy access, but the wells make it likely to gather dirt and water so you have to blow them out before pulling the plugs loose or stuff drops in the hole that ought not be there. It also makes them prone to misfire with bad valve cover gaskets or after engine washing because the wells fill up with liquid.
                IDK about your engine, but on my coilpack-equipped Panther(non-COP), the spark plug boots sit tight to the outside walls of the plugwells. This effectively keeps any dirt/debris/water out of the plugwells:

Comment

Sounds good, as long as your boots are perpetually in perfect condition.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

the ones on my 93 were.

however... the crap on the outside of the plug hole was a little epic

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

yeah thats kind of the problem. The boot gets pulled out and all the shit that was sitting on top of it is now in the hole. A quick shot with air before removing the plug just to make sure any trash is cleared out is simple preventative medicine. I don't own one of these things so I don't know firsthand about the water problem after engine washing, but I've heard of multiple people having that trouble. I don't know specific circumstances but I can see it as being entirely possible.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 10-28-2011, 04:37 PM.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have problems on the #4 where the the coolant passage for the heater core is. It had an occasional leak, which lead to poo-like material building up around the boot.
                        The same thing with #5 where the thermostat housing is.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

EVTM's for Scott since his aero book seems to have walked off...

Attached Files

Comment

and now it's found as I posted that... oh well... at least it'll git dun

Comment

got the harness chopped up and re-routed to lay where it needs to be. Tomorrow I'll re-splice all of the common hots for the injectors that I had to undo in order to route the wiring properly, and wire up the COP system. I also need to change the connectors for the crank sensor and the TPS to the 2003 type. Have to find a home for the EVR and EVP as well. Once the wiring is actually all done, then comes the fun of re-looming it all in a way that makes it not look crappy. I really wish I had some of that non-adhesive tape that Ford uses on their harness assemblies.

Comment

Working...
                              X