No announcement yet.

4.6 PI Motor Swap With OBD-I Setup 1992-2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sounds like a major clusterfuck. You should've been able to run the car using OBD1 with all the stock sensors by just extending a few wires. I wouldn't even bother with COP swap, there is no benefit in it unless you swap to 98+ OBD2 with a PCM that can control it.

I swapped to 03' harness and PCM in my box when I did 5.4 swap. It was a bit of a pain but not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
      I wouldn't even bother with COP swap, IT DOESN'T RUN ON ALL 8 CYLINDERS unless you swap to 98+ OBD2 with a PCM that can control it.
      Fixed that for you

Comment

I really dont know why it wouldn't go. Honestly it acted like a spark out of time situation, but I couldn't figure out why. Best guess was crank trigger differences. The way the COP rig was wired, if one of them was connected wrong it should have had 2 dead holes. Essentially it was using the EDIS module to drive a pair of COP coils wired in series, which electrically is about the same as the stock early coil pack arrangement. Moved the coil packs and moved the injectors and the same cylinder was dead. It had compression, and runs on all 8 now so it wasn't anything mechanical either.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
          This sounds like a major clusterfuck. You should've been able to run the car using OBD1 with all the stock sensors by just extending a few wires. I wouldn't even bother with COP swap, there is no benefit in it unless you swap to 98+ OBD2 with a PCM that can control it.

I swapped to 03' harness and PCM in my box when I did 5.4 swap. It was a bit of a pain but not too bad.
          The problem is that we decided to do cops first instead of trying to run it pure stock and just get it tuned later.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            Fixed that for you
            It should still run if you do COP conversion unless it wasn't wired correctly. You will just be firing 2 COPs at a time.

Comment

That's the weird part about it. It SHOULD have worked, but it didn't and Thain was tired of dicking with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

pretty much. SOmething was obviously wrong, I just couldn't figure it out. I honestly think the problem is the distributor, or lack thereof.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X