No announcement yet.

4.6 PI Motor Swap With OBD-I Setup 1992-2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok... I've poured over the EVTM for the 93, an OBD-II coil pack car, a coil on plug car, as well as the earlier post that has the wiring and here's my notes. Maybe Gadget can compare his notes and see if we're on the same page.

97 Wires is the colors in the previous post from the guy's 97 Cougar.

Code:
    97 Wires   Connected to    93 colors    Waste Spark     Connected to
    R/LG       1+,3+,7+,8+     R/LG              1-             6+
    BL/LBL         6-          T/W               3-             5+
    R/W            5-          T/O               7-             4+
    Pink/W         4-          T/LG              8-             2+
    R/Y            2-          T/LBL

twin fire sets
    1,6                Over Under Match
    2,8                1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8
    3,5                6,5,4,8,1,3,7,2

Injector    93 ECM Pin
    1              58
    2              59
    3              39
    4              35
    5              15
    6              12
    7              13
    8              14

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

don't have the notes here, but I changed the - side wire colors between the coils themselves and the square bolt-together plug that hangs under the master cylinder. Didn't feel like splicing, so I just pulled the wire from pin to plug out of the 03 harness. Just mostly a mention in case anyone else looks at it before I get up there again. I forget what colors are being used, but they'd be 03 colors.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

edis module info: http://www.dainst.com/info/edis/edis.html

Code:
        Postion of VRS pickup sensor in relation to TDC of cylinder 1
        Cylinders    Degrees BTDC
        4                90°
        6                60°
        8                50°
        10               26°
        On all EDIS installations, the missing tooth of the wheel is aligned with the VR sensor when the engine is at the above TDC value. This means your crank wheel needs to be aligned on the damper such that when the engine is N degrees BTDC, the missing tooth is lined up with the VR sensor. You may need to adjust the wheel slightly so the actual timing matches the intended base timing (10° BTDC). You can use a cam timing wheel to set this, or set Cyl #1 at TDC and advance the crank wheel so the missing tooth is the correct degrees BTDC according to the table above. You can also align the missing tooth with the TDC mark on the balancer and make the VRS sensor mount adjustable.
        Code:
        8 Cylinder EDIS module pinout
        Signal                           EDIS Module Terminal
        PIP (EDIS output signal)                 1
        IDM (diagnostic signal to ECU)           2
        SAW (ECU spark control signal)           3
        VRS - (crank sensor negative)            4
        VRS +(crank sensor positive)             5
        VPWR (ignition switched 12 volts)        6
        IGN GND                                  7
        COIL 1 (coil drive) (CYL 1,6)            8
        COIL 2 (coil drive) (CYL 3,5)            9
        PWR GND                                 10
        COIL 3 (coil drive) (CYL 4,7)           11
        COIL 4 (coil drive) (CYL 2,8)           12
        So... the trigger wires for the COPs should be...

Code:
        EDIS Pin      Coil Pin
        8                6-
        9                5-
        11               4-
        12               2-
        This will avoid color code issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

http://www.cvpi.org/archives/p71inte...ead/index.html

Pinouts for the transmissions if using the newer engine's OBD-II electronics. Everything should plug up engine side, but the trans will need re-wiring to match up to the AODE solenoid harness.

Note connector pictured above is from a production 1997 crown victoria. 1992-1995 crown vics used a P/Y wire for pin 3 instead of the R/LB wire used on 96-97 vehicles.

Attached Files

Comment

i sense further wiring in my future. Someone is going to owe me a case of porter for this.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

since the 93's stock stuff is not playing nice... a stock 03 harness and whatever ECM is needed for return fuel 19# type stuff (98-02?) and then just the quick splice for the trans and plug it all in. Not a lot of wiring at all ... compared to what's already been tried. Unless we want to try to get an unmolested 93/94 harness and timing cover and put the coil packs back on. But I figure it would be less work to get the OBD-II ECM stuff than to do timing covers.

Comment

at least the edis8 is the same part from 93-03 at least (didn't look any further than that). so just need the newer ECM and engine harness.

Comment

OK, fetched a complete 01 CVPI harness. Its laid in there and connected to the engine. Plugs changed on the harness to mate to the new 1993 style plugs. I haven't re-pinned the trans plug yet but thats easy. Now I run into problems. The interface between the ECM harness and the body harness is done through 2 large plugs stuck down at the A pillar, plus on the 01 it has another round plug that lives above the master cylinder. One of the round plugs down in the A pillar will mate from the 01 to the 93, but there are a lot more wires in the 01, and none of the colors mate up. The big square one is basically the same, but its keyed differently and also has some different number of wires. I need connector pinouts for those 3 plugs on the 01, and the two connectors on the 93 to figure out what needs changing. I did grab the OBD2 diag port but it was bundled into the huge dash harness so I'll have to work out how exactly that connects to the ECM.

Comment

krikey! Bah and HUMBUG!

OBD-II port info on this page: http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=88

I don't have any info on those connectors in my EVTM. They are mentioned in location index only. They are shown on individual wires going from the ECM/PCM to stuff, but not the specific wire harness. I was hoping this would be an engine bay harness to the ECM... but apparently, that's not the way it goes. Unfortunately the EVTM is of no use right now unless you want me to post every flipping image involving the ECM/PCM.

Comment

well its the complete ECM to engine and trans harness. Thing is, the engine harness on these comprises the wiring from ECM to sensors, but also crap like the variable steering assist, the idiot light wiring to the dash, the AC compressor feed, neutral safety switch wiring, VSS output to the cruise control brain, and probably some other ins and outs. It also involves the feed out to the fuel pump, power input to actually run the ECM, the ignition power circuits, and I'm sure its got other wiring that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

I had a feeling there wouldn't be connector face pinouts. Ford tends to not do that for in-harness connectors. They only give the pinouts for device end connectors. I guess now it'll be a case of getting a 1993 manual and a 2001 manual and going page by page to figure out everything that goes through those connectors by wire color, and figuring out what needs to go where. I had to do this when I made the adapter harness to fit the 302 in the 92. That was by far the worst part of that process because so much crap passes through those plugs.

and I think I realized I fucked up again. Re-read some earlier posts and realized that the 01 does not use a 19# injector. So not only do I need the proper injectors, I'm going to need another engine harness because I cut all the 01 style injector plugs off and replaced them with the 1993 style. Goddamnit. Either that, or I need lopo 14# injectors, which should be plenty close enough to the 13.5# that it would have come with. Fuck.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 04-03-2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

I have 3 lopo injectors on a 5.0 HO I recently purchased (currently my backup engine in case the one I threw together is junk). Guy said it ran like it had a bad injector. I think he was on the right track because between the 2 random black injectors, 3 grey injectors, and 3 yellow OE injectors, I think some shit was fucked up. This is pretty much what I went through last spring when I spliced a 1990 LTC harness to a 1992 CV bastard harness to make my 289 fuel injected. Today, I added MAF, relocated the ACT to the airbox, added the charcoal canister purge solenoid wiring, installed a charcoal canister, and added in a wire from the currently non-existent AC compressor to kick my e-fans on when I retrofit and run AC again. That's gonna fuckin kick ass, I can't wait. Good luck with this bitch of a project, I hope to hear of it running and the owner pleased at slightly less of a lack of acceleration.
                        1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          well its the complete ECM to engine and trans harness. Thing is, the engine harness on these comprises the wiring from ECM to sensors, but also crap like the variable steering assist, the idiot light wiring to the dash, the AC compressor feed, neutral safety switch wiring, VSS output to the cruise control brain, and probably some other ins and outs. It also involves the feed out to the fuel pump, power input to actually run the ECM, the ignition power circuits, and I'm sure its got other wiring that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

I had a feeling there wouldn't be connector face pinouts. Ford tends to not do that for in-harness connectors. They only give the pinouts for device end connectors. I guess now it'll be a case of getting a 1993 manual and a 2001 manual and going page by page to figure out everything that goes through those connectors by wire color, and figuring out what needs to go where. I had to do this when I made the adapter harness to fit the 302 in the 92. That was by far the worst part of that process because so much crap passes through those plugs.

and I think I realized I fucked up again. Re-read some earlier posts and realized that the 01 does not use a 19# injector. So not only do I need the proper injectors, I'm going to need another engine harness because I cut all the 01 style injector plugs off and replaced them with the 1993 style. Goddamnit. Either that, or I need lopo 14# injectors, which should be plenty close enough to the 13.5# that it would have come with. Fuck.
                          Fuck this shit, put coil packs back on it...

Comment

No coil packs. One coil, a distributor, and an engine design that makes sense.

Comment

coil packs would require the old timing cover as well. PITA that.

Comment

not really convinced that the coil packs would run any different than the EDIS COP setup did. It had spark. I'm also not overly motivated to modify another 93 harness just to try it out. At a minimum, it involves splitting the whole thing apart so the injectors will plug in, even if the coil packs are just temporarily laid in place without the proper timing cover. I also would need to change connectors for the CPS, TPS, IAC and probably some other crap. It would probably take as much time to do all that as it would to move forward with the rest of the obd2 wiring, and I think the obd2 has a better chance of actually working.
                                Last edited by gadget73; 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X