No announcement yet.

4.6 PI Motor Swap With OBD-I Setup 1992-2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is this simply something that can be swapped out to a compatible one without excessive bother?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gotta drop the trans pan... but it's immediately accessible. PDF showing location

Ford part number for the solenoid needed is F5AZ7G136A
      Rock Auto has an Airtex/Wells exact match and a Standard Motor generic that is built better (more metal).

FordParts.com has it for $54.80 (almost double).
      Last edited by sly; 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Are the two solenoids physically interchangeable between the two transmissions?

Comment

If its just a pop and swap thing, no big deal. probably can get it from the Ford dealer over the mountain easy enough. They came pretty darn close in price with that AC compressor I bought, and by the time I figured in shipping it wouldn't have saved me any real amount of money to order it online.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah... it's a pop and swap for 92-97 or 98 model years. Later models used a different connection though it was physically the same solenoid as the later aeros.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So what part does it need, the F7AP-7G136-AA for a 1996 Vic ?

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                gotta drop the trans pan... but it's immediately accessible. PDF showing location

Ford part number for the solenoid needed is F5AZ7G136A
                Rock Auto has an Airtex/Wells exact match and a Standard Motor generic that is built better (more metal).

FordParts.com has it for $54.80 (almost double).
                edited that post up there...

part number is F5AZ7G136A

that linked PDF also has the part numbers.

Comment

Scott is looking into ordering the part from that Ford dealer so they'll actually have it by Friday.

Probably be a good idea for y'all to talk about it so there's not 2 ordered.

Comment

looks like its a simple matter of dropping the pan and maybe the filter to get at the solenoid. I suppose it looks like a trip to the store for at least a trans service kit. Hey Jason, do you happen to know what fluid is in there currently, and how old it is? If its fairly recent I won't bother draining the converter but if its due for a service anyway I guess I'll pick up more fluid.

Comment

Scott's got it covered.

Comment

One step forward, two backwards. Starter circuit is wired up. New relay fitted into the existing fuse/relay box under the hood and powered as it would have been on an 01. Its tapped off fuse #2, which is what would have fed power to the starter solenoid anyway on the 93. Also got the reverse lights working, simple matter of finding a wire that I missed and plugging it in.

Now for the backwards. It won't run anymore. Fuel pump does not engage, and it has no injector pulse or ignition pulse. Crank sensor ohms out fine all the way back to the ECM. ECM seems to be making this faint high pitch whine noise that I do not recall previously. The only thing I can come up with here is when I tried to start it a few times before the battery had charged sufficiently, it somehow spiked the ECM and killed it. I don't have a spare to verify so thats it for tonight I guess. I guess next week its back up here, to the yard for an ECM, and try again.

Comment

Ha I had done a full 2004 PI engine swap in my 96 town car, fired up first try

Epic threads here

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...ue#Post2169782

Victory thread

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...ue#Post2182043

Morals of the story

You need to convert the car over to 96-97 style configuration for Intake, throttle cable, EGR bla Bla I started with a 96 to make this all good from the git go..

OBD 1 not deal breaker but you CANT re-use the 96-97 harness and this leads to the golden rule

KEEP THE FUCKING PCM FROM THE CAR INTACT. Swap as many of the ORIGINAL SENSORS AND SHIT FROM THE CAR TRASH ALL THE SHIT FROM THE ENGINE

This is all you want from the new engine just the long block and Intake

Pulled the original 96 engine harness marked up all the connections, it went back on the PI engine just dandy used all the 96 sensors and injectors.

ONE EXCEPTION is the 92-2000 MAF is shit, use one from a 2001 up with a PI engine

96 MAF blocks off much airflow, many have reported a stock PI engine pegging one of these

01 up PI style MAF

Car still runs fine with the stock 96 PCM and stock tune with the 01 PI MAF, ran a 16 flat on the stock open 3.27 rear and dual exhaust (the 96 was a Touring edition aka a HPP with the Sunroof, Compass and Auto dim mirrors and the JBL audio)

Here are enough pictures to make your asshole pucker

http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q...Engine%20Swap/
                          Last edited by Chevyguy; 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM.
                          2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                          2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Good info Frank.... you must be bored at work, since you revived a thread from July.

The car in question Left Scott's shop in PA and made back to Texas under its own power some time in August. you can read the rest of the story here;
                            http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...anthers/page12 start at post #233.
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

i followed your thread chevyguy, but it would not run on the 93 stuff, ran fine wot but had a #7 misfire at part throttle........we ended up doing an obd2 conversion and now all is well!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I am more than glad I did not try this with my EEC-IV powered 94 instead... Though a few have lived to tell the tales of the conversion on the EEC-IV cars Plus with the Wixom built 91-94 town car they already have a DPFE which is one potential hurdle for converting the 92-94 STAP models with the lowly PFE system.

More power to ya to do the EEC-V swap. I do remember your tales of agony with the swap now!!
                                2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                                2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Working...
                                X