Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what IS the best minimum-mod drop-in engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what IS the best minimum-mod drop-in engine?

Alright, so as things are looking right now (assuming all goes well) I'll be face to face with about 125 to 130 horsepower from a throttle-body '83. From what I understand, block wise, a 302 is a 302 is a 302. But my question is, down the road - be it for the short or the long term - what's a good value-oriented upgrade for an AOD setup in a GM? From my days at CrownVic.net, HO seemed to be the way to go... but is an OBD-I Explorer application also something to consider?

I'm not looking to build a race car here. Just something with buckets of torque to hustle the car when the time to hustle comes, but cruise and be easy on revs (and hopefully fuel) when no hustlin' is necessary?

Mind you guys, I'm greener than a baby banana when it comes to Fords... any help is good help.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Explorer HO conversion would be the way to go. A stock displacement, low mileage 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0 will do the trick nicely. Paired with a Mark VII computer, EEC-IV computer harness and such, will give you a nice engine. Upgrade the valve springs for one thing. This will drop right into the existing setup on Matt's 83 grand marquis. Use an air box from a later model vic, and an air tube from a vic 98+, and you'll be golden. You'll have to connect the fuel lines together so you can use the EFI fuel rail, but your stock pumps should be able to handle even the Explorer stuff.
    As for an AOD upgrade, one from a 90+ crown vic would be the best improvement, save for the Wide ratio AOD.

Comment

I have a 302 from a 2001 Explorer. It is a very torquey engine.
      I used a Mark VII computer and injectors from a '95 TC since they had the same electrical connections that I needed. Explorer were the same injector but different plugs.

Comment

i have the harness for you so you can start the EEC-IV swap it will be going with the car. you also need the 90 GM fender for the airbox that is already on the car along with the new vacuum box. you also already have the 90 towncar fan shroud installed. all you really need is to get the explorer motor. early models had gt40 heads and later models had gt40p heads which flow a little bit better.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
          I have a 302 from a 2001 Explorer. It is a very torquey engine.
          I used a Mark VII computer and injectors from a '95 TC since they had the same electrical connections that I needed. Explorer were the same injector but different plugs.
          Early 5.0 explorers have the same injector plugs as our cars. And you can also use a SEFI panther TPS.

Comment

Assuming all goes well on Thursday, I have this fleeting suspicion me and you will soon cross paths, Vicky.

Thanks for the heads up. Question though, was I right on my bottom end (cam excluded) and rotating assembly beliefs?

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

A 302 block is a 302 block yes. Some are more desirable than others. The HO block is the same as the lopo block, though that uses forged pistons. The lopo uses cast pistons. The explorer uses Hypereutectic pistons also a cast piston yet it's an mix of aluminum and silicone iirc.
              Where in Jersey are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                A 302 block is a 302 block yes. Some are more desirable than others. The HO block is the same as the lopo block, though that uses forged pistons. The lopo uses cast pistons. The explorer uses Hypereutectic pistons also a cast piston yet it's an mix of aluminum and silicone iirc.
                Where in Jersey are you?
                About an hour or so north of you. Monroe Township. 8A off the Turnpike.

I've got a modest HP goal of 230-240 HP and 290 TQ. Shouldn't be too hard to do, should it? This car is mainly going to be a commuter, but I would like to see it be able to get out of its own way. My '86 GM's performance - and mileage - was less than stellar. Maybe 13 or 14 seconds to 60 and averaged 12 MPG with me driving it like an old lady, 8 if I drove it like an asshole. >.< I also kinda wanna drive your Vic just to see what the Explorer HO motor puts out.
                Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 10-10-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
                  About an hour or so north of you. Monroe Township. 8A off the Turnpike.

I've got a modest HP goal of 230-240 HP and 290 TQ. Shouldn't be too hard to do, should it? This car is mainly going to be a commuter, but I would like to see it be able to get out of its own way. I also kinda wanna drive your Vic just to see what the Explorer HO motor puts out.

my buddy john will help you out with the merc he is a good friend and knows alot about my car. john will also be working on my new lincoln.

the merc as it is makes 168HP and 267 pounds of torque. that was when i last dynoed it at tech. that was without cats.

his vic is awesome i have been in it and with the new 3.55 Trac lok rear and the explorer motor it huals ass and makes around 330 Pounds of torque. his is also been bored over though.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                  1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I know this is kinda veering off topic, but how the eff did you go from 125 HP to 168? 0.0

Then again, no clue what the TBI302's performance potential/constraints are.

Comment

I know this is kinda veering off topic, but how the eff did you go from 125 HP to 168? 0.0

Then again, no clue what the TBI302's performance potential/constraints are.

i had duals put on without cats. put hot air intake, bypassed the air injection and smog crap at the time. i dont know if our machine at tech was accurate though it seemed to me a little high but i am just saying what the machine said. it does feel peppier than stock though.

Comment

About an hour or so north of you. Monroe Township. 8A off the Turnpike.I've got a modest HP goal of 230-240 HP and 290 TQ. Shouldn't be too hard to do, should it? This car is mainly going to be a commuter, but I would like to see it be able to get out of its own way. My '86 GM's performance - and mileage - was less than stellar. Maybe 13 or 14 seconds to 60 and averaged 12 MPG with me driving it like an old lady, 8 if I drove it like an asshole. >.< I also kinda wanna drive your Vic just to see what the Explorer HO motor puts out.
                        dyno'd the engine at 258hp and 326 torque. I figure around 225ish with the aod behind it. you're not driving my car lol. you're welcome to go for a ride. provided that you pay for the gas i'll be wasting lol.

Comment

Took a trip from tremont to westmont. 23.6mpg.

Comment

you're not driving my car lol.
                            :p
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Took a trip from tremont to westmont. 23.6mpg.
                              Okay, you've got me sold.

Believe it or not this engine feels like it has more punch than the SEFI motor in my '86. When it's not wheezing and bogging that is.

Anywho, the car runs good enough to be a daily driver for now. Now all the lady needs to do is save up so she can put her car on the road.
                              Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X