Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what IS the best minimum-mod drop-in engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vicky... I think I want to make a clone of your car's engine bay.

I gotta get down there and have the blueprint 'laid out before my eyes' before I dig any deeper though. I want to side-by-side the two engine bays.

I'm really glad I switched from a Yaris to a Tacoma. All things considered, I'll probably be putting that pickup bed to good use.

I have a semi-realistic goal of squeezing 302HP out of a 302. It would be nice to see 1 HP/CI. Question is though, can it be done without a massive budget or killing fuel economy or mandating premium fuel? More importantly, can the AOD take that kind of abuse?
    Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 10-16-2011, 12:32 AM.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

that car moves, put a 4bbl carb and intake on it and drive it a while while you build up a fresh efi motor

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, considering the current engine's history is unknown (any way to check if it's 'numbers matching?') I don't plan on doing MUCH with the CFI 302.

Carb swap, eh? Any recommendations?

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
          Okay, you've got me sold.

Believe it or not this engine feels like it has more punch than the SEFI motor in my '86. When it's not wheezing and bogging that is.

Anywho, the car runs good enough to be a daily driver for now. Now all the lady needs to do is save up so she can put her car on the road.
          Your 86 must've had some problems... transmission or otherwise lol. Mine moved pretty well with the LOPO.

FWIW, that 83 really moves. One of the best CFI cars I've personally ever seen/driven in.
          If you felt so inclined, you could convert that engine to SEFI, that way all you would need to do when the time comes for the new engine is just drop it in and swap computers. It's not too hard to do. Just a bunch of wiring, sensors, computer, fuel rail, injectors and some modifications to fuel lines.

As for the AOD, if built properly, it can withstand a decent amount of HP and torque. Though I wouldn't build the trans from the 83. I'd get a 1990-1992 AOD and have that rebuilt, make it a wide ratio AOD with better internals. The guy to talk to about that would most likely be Brian, the trans guy Scott deals with.
          Last edited by 86VickyLX; 10-16-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

That later transmission is actually the AOD-E, isn't it, with its own separate computer?

I only doubt this CFI's performance because it starts wheezing and bogging as soon as you stand on it. It feels like it can move, but anything more than half throttle and she's choking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3iDZ_OkwsM

Don't trust that tire chirp - the road was wet. I had about 1/3 of a mile of acceleration from 50 MPH and the car was doing MAYBE 80 MPH at the fly by. '86. Dunno what the supercharger sound was but it sure sounded cool.

If I can get any variation of the 302 and whatever's backing it to match a '11 CVPI's acceleration (though I doubt nothing will sound as good as that Mod V8 screaming at 6,000 RPM before upshifting) then I would be quite content and pleased with my Box.
            Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 10-17-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

AOD-E was introduced with the 92 4.6L about mid year. It did not have a separate computer. ECM controls the trans.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

About an hour or so north of you. Monroe Township. 8A off the Turnpike.
                Ah, my home town. I know it well. Or know it as it was up until about 2003 or so....
                1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

AODE- was mid year 92. Early 92 panthers got the AOD (bastard block 4.6 introduced in '91 on TownCars). As Slymer said it only uses one computer for the AODE. Which also controls the engine. If you wanted an AODE or a 4R70w in your box. You have a few choices. A 94-95 Mustang or other fox 5.0 AODE car computer and a modified box computer wiring harness. A standalone control module for only the transmission. Or an OBD-II swap.

Comment

I want whatever doesn't blow up, lol!

But seriously though, is it worth all of the hassle of wiring an electronically-controlled transmission? On the flip side, I heard on 'dumb' automatics, changing shift points isn't as easy as plugging in a computer and adjusting a few numbers...

Comment

I want whatever doesn't blow up, lol!

But seriously though, is it worth all of the hassle of wiring an electronically-controlled transmission? On the flip side, I heard on 'dumb' automatics, changing shift points isn't as easy as plugging in a computer and adjusting a few numbers...
                      With non electronically controlled transmissions, adjustments to change shift points are all done inside the trans. What's nice about the electronically controlled transmissions, like the 4r70w, is that you can adjust the shift points basically on the fly. Standalone systems run a pretty penny, but I've heard that you can set the shift points and shift quality without much hassle. You can do it with factory mustang computer but you'd need to have it tuned. Or run a tuning software.

Comment

I do have a very particular power curve in mind, I just don't know if even with a cam that an Exploder motor's ready for 6,000 RPM.

Or an AOD for that matter.

Comment

the aod, if built right, will handle most anything you can throw at it. They can be made to deal with 1000 hp. In stock form, they're good for maybe 300. An early one like you have is probably good for 200ish.

ditto on the 302. It all depends how you build it. 6000 rpm isn't really a problem if the valvetrain components are matched to that speed. The bottom end won't care.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Remember the stock explorer valve springs are very weak, will not support 6000 rpm, that and the cam is meant for lower rpm torque, which is great if you drive your panther like a grandma, if you got a heavy foot I'd recommend something from Comp Cams...Use this to help decide on the best cam for you or contact them for a custom grind.
                            http://www.camquest.com/
                            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Well, by minimum-mod, I meant as little work needing to be done to the engine bay and accessory system as possible for installation.

I don't exactly want to just toss in an Exploder motor as-is. I was just trying to confirm that it is indeed the best starting point. Same for the AOD. Hm, wonder if there's any trustworthy race shops 'round NJ that work on AOD's?

Especially since I've got a 60mm snail sitting in the garage that I was originally going to slap on my old Supra Turbo... I wouldn't imagine the factory valvetrain being ready for forced induction.

I've always had a knack for cars with snappy powerbands, that's why I like turbos and high RPM engines... it gives the car a split personality, if you know what I mean. :evil:

Base goal though is 302 WHP on NA with no power adders, and preferably using 87 octane. I wonder if the 302 has the capacity for that?
                              Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 10-27-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I don't exactly want to just toss in an Exploder motor as-is. I was just trying to confirm that it is indeed the best starting point. Same for the AOD. Hm, wonder if there's any trustworthy race shops 'round NJ that work on AOD's?

Try Valley Ford in Totowa, NJ; or perhaps it's Little Falls NJ. It's around that area. They build both pushrod and modular Ford engines. I'll contact my friend who should still have the number.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X