PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for quitest performance muffler

Default Looking for quitest performance muffler

I know that may seem like an oxymoron but that is what I am looking for.
    This will go on my 1990 Town Car 302.

I have seen some threads all about exhaust options and I believe I have solved most of my problems from searching and reading on here. Thanks.
    But I don't have the money to buy different mufflers to find the right combination so i am asking for your experiences.

I may also get two different sizes and/or add some resonators to make it quiet and not have the drone.
    This is my family/performance car (another oxymoron) and want the best of both worlds.

It has stock exhaust now and is whisper quiet. I know I will not get it that quiet and really don't need it that quiet but hopefully you can help me in my decision.

Thanks,
    Neal

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Smile

I just installed a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (2.5" offset/offset) on the driver side and a Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo (longer muffler; quiet) on the passenger side of my mom's Crown Vic. The rest of the dual exhaust is BBK shorty headers and matching H-pipe for '86-'93 Mustangs. I got cutouts right after the H-pipe; which is why I couldn't fit the Hemi Super Turbo on the driver side. With the Dynomax mufflers, it is noticeably quieter than the Summit turbo muffs I had on there. Very little drone inside the car when cruising around town and prettty quiet outside. I have yet to take the car on the highway. Perhaps this weekend. I hope this helps.

Packman

fuck no, not today, thank you kindly 1990LTD's Avatar

I like my Magnaflows...they get gnarly up around 2500-3000 rpm but I can putt down the road very quietly - I would come home anywhere from 2-8 AM and not once have I gotten a complaint about the volume of my car.

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Packman,
    I read about your muffler install. How long is the quietest muffler you got?
    I am thinking bigger is better. Biggest I have found on Jegs is 21"
    I assume yours are the welded ones??? Got any part numbers?

I will have BBK shortys and Jegs H-pipe with Caprice tails and Mustang Mids. All 2.5"

Most of my time in the car is highway speeds. 55 - 80 mph. So gnarly at high rpm's is not what I am looking for.

It looks like the 17749 mufflers are the way to go. What do you guys think?

Interesting reads:
    sorry for the non- FOMOCO links. LOL

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90648

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html

my 88 lopo with magnaflow cats and muffs is rather quiet. my 93 with magnaflow cats and muffs (same setup - 2.25" pipe on the 93... 2" pipe on the 88) is much louder. on the lopo, even revving the nuts off, it's not really that loud. It lets you know about it, but it's not really close to being able to hear it too far down the road. The 93 would wake the neighbors when you rev it... with a few pops on the slow down.

with 2.5" pipes... I'm in the dark on whether it'll make any real big noise with the 5.slow

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
    Packman,

I will have BBK shortys and Jegs H-pipe with Caprice tails and Mustang Mids. All 2.5"

Most of my time in the car is highway speeds. 55 - 80 mph. So gnarly at high rpm's is not what I am looking for.

at 80mph with 3.55 gears you'd still be under 2500rpm

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

absolute quietest things I've ever heard are Walker QuietFlow mufflers. 2 different lengths will kill the drone, should be pretty quiet. They may not be the most performance-oriented things though.

I have 2 cats and Magnaflows on my car. Not overly loud, but not silent either. I've heard John's car with basically the same exhaust, except his has 4 converters and its quieter. It would probably be annoying with no cats.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    absolute quietest things I've ever heard are Walker QuietFlow mufflers. 2 different lengths will kill the drone, should be pretty quiet. They may not be the most performance-oriented things though.

I have 2 cats and Magnaflows on my car. Not overly loud, but not silent either. I've heard John's car with basically the same exhaust, except his has 4 converters and its quieter. It would probably be annoying with no cats.
    No cats with mine and it's not bad at all. There is no drone at any speeds

The trash heap has spoken! Pesty351's Avatar

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt These are reported to be quieter that stock until you stand on it.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826

Walker (Dynomax) Super Turbo. Thrush Turbo muffler next.

(Looking up the Walker QuietFlow, how long has Walker owned thrush??? Looks like the quieter mufflers are all slight variations on the Super Turbo anyway.)

Alex.

I'm going to recommend the Dynomax Super Turbo also

1988 Signature Series Town Car

I run IMCO 3 pass priemium mufflers 2.5". quiet as stock flow good enouf for my 430 some HP.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

I post a lot...

I got 2 of these guys for my dual exhaust; I think they are the dynomax super turbo (made by walker?)
    http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata...ker_17732.html

I will say that there's a loud drone at 1500 rpm, goes away at less than that, goes away at more than that. Obviously there's exhaust noise at 3000+ rpm, but not that you're minding that when accelerating ;-)
    The 1500rpm drone is a bit annoying, since you might find yourself cruising at that rpm range, and it sometimes is dissonant with the subwoofer.
    So, I might have gone for something different. But they were cheap

I want some grape drink baby, mmmm it's purple

I have MAC chambered mufflers on the mustang. They are super quiet at idle and cruising rpm (like stock almost) but get a little throaty when you call on it, nothing to knarly but you can definetly hear them.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

I got Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flows, stock length (Can't remember length in inches) and mine is not loud at all. But I'm still running manifolds and converters yet too and I know the converters absorb a lot of noise so it might be what's causing mine to be quiet after all. But I do find a difference with the Flowmasters over the old Cherry Bomb Turbo short mufflers I had on there before in terms of flow and power, so they are a good muffler for performance overall without being really loud.

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 267,xxx km. Out for 2017, new HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, orange, 302,xxx+km. AKA "King Billy". Takes the beating like no vehicle should ever have to. Bought 2013/11/26.

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
    Packman,

Yeah, the Dynomax 289-17749 is the longest muffler that I got. It's 23" overall length. The reason I couldn't fit it on the driver's side is because I got a bend in the pipe followed by the cutout which takes up some space. Otherwise, I would have gotten two Hemi Super Turbos. Though, I like the current set up. I hope the current set up lasts more than four years. The Summit muffs were completely rotted out inside; I'm guessing from the cats. If the Magnaflows last for at least a decade, then they're probably worth the money.

Packman

I looked into the Walker Quiet Flow mufflers.
    For the TC it only has 2" options.
    I may have to call them to see what they offer in 2.5"

Otherwise it looks like the 17749 and maybe some resonators too.

Question:
    Are resonators more effective before the muffler or after the muffler near the tips?

I was thinking about using a resonator between the mid pipes and muffler since I need something there anyway. But not sure if it will be as effective as if I were to put them near the tips.
    If not I may put them near the tips.

Then again I may not need them but I am going for quiet as possible.

Thanks for all of the input.

I think in general the best for quiet yet high-flow are largish square/rectangular case mufflers that have a straight through design. The type that look like a glasspack on the inside and a stockish muffler on the outside. A lot of Magnaflow and Dynomax mufflers are like that.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

It depends on how you set your exhaust up. I cut up a '94-'96 Impala cat back to make everything after the H-pipe work. I will see how another engine sounds and if it's too loud, I will place the 12" or 18" resonators (glasspacks) on the tail pipes. Right now, what I got works with the lopo.

Packman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast