PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for quitest performance muffler

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Did you add the resonators too or no?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

They just look big compared to the tiny 14" magnaflows. They're about the same size as stock panther mufflers, maybe a little smaller.

Yes the resonators were added after the magnaflows were too loud. I have no idea how the system would sound if i removed them. I may or may not eventually find out. As of now I'm pretty happy with it.
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

so both at once. I was wondering if the resonators made a significant difference on their own. I may give it a go. I'm tired of the drone on the Towncar, and swapping the straight piece behind the axle for a resonator would be simple enough to do. I have a set of Magnaflows under the car now, and I think they are the 20" version but I'd have to actually look. Its been so long since I really looked at what was under there, I just don't remember.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Resonators made the car about 1 to 1.5 decibels quieter both outside and inside the car, from 10 feet away out the back of the car measured on an app on my phone...so they do make a difference, just don't expect them to work miracles. They cut out the harshness of the exhaust note, make it more mellow. If you have the 20" magnaflows perhaps these would be just enough to make it nicer. You can see how you like my setup at scottfest
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

Mostly I'm looking to kill the drone. There is one speed where it feels like my brain is rattling inside my skull, its fine otherwise. Sound deadening material in the trunk helped but if I could tame that noisy spot I'd be happy.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    Packman thats pretty much the setup i'll have. catted mustang H-pipe. Do you have headers? that makes a huge difference. Instead of tailpipe glasspacks I have resonators. I can let you know how it does after i get them on this thurs/fri
    Yes, I had the BBK Shorty and Mustang cat'd H-pipe set up. If like Kishy; you're not driving it in the winter with salt and such, your setup should work for a while. A few months before I parked my CV, the cats rotted off the H-pipe. Could be something to look out for. Otherwise, those Dynomax muffs were great on the lopo.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

If I didn't install cutouts, my Mom would have hated the CV though

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123