No announcement yet.

Looking for quitest performance muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuing the necromancy, I've been fairly pleased with the Summit clones of Thrush Turbos...all stock replacement 2" piping with Magnaflow direct fit cats, though, which is not the avenue the average person here is going when they convert to dual exhaust (either replace single like-for-like stock, or go custom bent duals in a larger diameter pipe).

There isn't much drone to speak of, however it's worth noting that the Lincolns seem to do a bit more for shutting up noise entering the car, and specifically the older Lincolns as mine is have thicker pile carpet than the newer ones.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I used used Stainless Mustang Mufflers on the old wagon. I thought the sound was just right. Not too loud but loud enough.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The old-school basic Borla mufflers are quiet and absolutely NO drone. My buddy's mom had a fox mustang with an old Borla cat-back on it. Very clean-sounding car and very quiet. Got a little noise under WOT but that's about it.

Comment

My CV is going to get cats, Dynomax Super Turbo (part# 17749) muffs, and Summit glasspacks on the tailpipes. I'm hoping that will quiet down the engine when it goes back into the car.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
            Continuing the necromancy, I've been fairly pleased with the Summit clones of Thrush Turbos...all stock replacement 2" piping with Magnaflow direct fit cats, though, which is not the avenue the average person here is going when they convert to dual exhaust (either replace single like-for-like stock, or go custom bent duals in a larger diameter pipe).

There isn't much drone to speak of, however it's worth noting that the Lincolns seem to do a bit more for shutting up noise entering the car, and specifically the older Lincolns as mine is have thicker pile carpet than the newer ones.
            The Summit Turbos was what I originally went with when I did the full exhaust on the CV. They lasted 4 years before falling apart. The Dynomax I mentioned above were on there for the same amount of time with no signs of rotting. I woulda kept them if I could have separated them from the exhaust pipes, without mangling.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
              The Summit Turbos was what I originally went with when I did the full exhaust on the CV. They lasted 4 years before falling apart. The Dynomax I mentioned above were on there for the same amount of time with no signs of rotting. I woulda kept them if I could have separated them from the exhaust pipes, without mangling.
              Aw, that sucks. Here's hoping mine go a bit longer. They're on a car that won't be winter driven anymore so maybe that'll help, but any internal failures will be the same either way.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Packman thats pretty much the setup i'll have. catted mustang H-pipe. Do you have headers? that makes a huge difference. Instead of tailpipe glasspacks I have resonators. I can let you know how it does after i get them on this thurs/fri
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Aw, that sucks. Here's hoping mine go a bit longer. They're on a car that won't be winter driven anymore so maybe that'll help, but any internal failures will be the same either way.
                  They will last significantly longer without any winter salt water spraying them. My duals on the Nova where put on before stainless exhaust was on anyones mind, and even before aluminized pipe took off, so standard pipes, I don't even think I was offered any piping options other than diameter. The walkers are aluminized though, but the plain pipes have survived at least 30 years, even my headers still look reasonable after all that time (plain steel heddmans, I only painted them with VHT before installing them). Unless they've gone to significantly thinner materials, they will be fine.

Alex.

Comment

I got them on today... WOW. This is my first attempt to make a performance oriented exhaust relatively quiet and it worked! You can hear it driving around town and accelerating, but at speeds over 60 just cruising its almost silent. The wind and road noise is now far louder than the exhaust. It still sounds good out back, a deep exhaust note, but it's not loud by any means. I'm very pleased at the results, this will make my road trip much nicer!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5585.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	1284429
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

they're hooooge!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Did you add the resonators too or no?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They just look big compared to the tiny 14" magnaflows. They're about the same size as stock panther mufflers, maybe a little smaller.

Yes the resonators were added after the magnaflows were too loud. I have no idea how the system would sound if i removed them. I may or may not eventually find out. As of now I'm pretty happy with it.
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

so both at once. I was wondering if the resonators made a significant difference on their own. I may give it a go. I'm tired of the drone on the Towncar, and swapping the straight piece behind the axle for a resonator would be simple enough to do. I have a set of Magnaflows under the car now, and I think they are the 20" version but I'd have to actually look. Its been so long since I really looked at what was under there, I just don't remember.
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Resonators made the car about 1 to 1.5 decibels quieter both outside and inside the car, from 10 feet away out the back of the car measured on an app on my phone...so they do make a difference, just don't expect them to work miracles. They cut out the harshness of the exhaust note, make it more mellow. If you have the 20" magnaflows perhaps these would be just enough to make it nicer. You can see how you like my setup at scottfest
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Mostly I'm looking to kill the drone. There is one speed where it feels like my brain is rattling inside my skull, its fine otherwise. Sound deadening material in the trunk helped but if I could tame that noisy spot I'd be happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X