No announcement yet.

Looking for quitest performance muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flows, stock length (Can't remember length in inches) and mine is not loud at all. But I'm still running manifolds and converters yet too and I know the converters absorb a lot of noise so it might be what's causing mine to be quiet after all. But I do find a difference with the Flowmasters over the old Cherry Bomb Turbo short mufflers I had on there before in terms of flow and power, so they are a good muffler for performance overall without being really loud.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
      Packman,
      I read about your muffler install. How long is the quietest muffler you got?
      I am thinking bigger is better. Biggest I have found on Jegs is 21"
      I assume yours are the welded ones??? Got any part numbers?

I will have BBK shortys and Jegs H-pipe with Caprice tails and Mustang Mids. All 2.5"

Most of my time in the car is highway speeds. 55 - 80 mph. So gnarly at high rpm's is not what I am looking for.

Yeah, the Dynomax 289-17749 is the longest muffler that I got. It's 23" overall length. The reason I couldn't fit it on the driver's side is because I got a bend in the pipe followed by the cutout which takes up some space. Otherwise, I would have gotten two Hemi Super Turbos. Though, I like the current set up. I hope the current set up lasts more than four years. The Summit muffs were completely rotted out inside; I'm guessing from the cats. If the Magnaflows last for at least a decade, then they're probably worth the money.

Packman

Comment

I looked into the Walker Quiet Flow mufflers.
        For the TC it only has 2" options.
        I may have to call them to see what they offer in 2.5"

Otherwise it looks like the 17749 and maybe some resonators too.

Question:
        Are resonators more effective before the muffler or after the muffler near the tips?

I was thinking about using a resonator between the mid pipes and muffler since I need something there anyway. But not sure if it will be as effective as if I were to put them near the tips.
        If not I may put them near the tips.

Then again I may not need them but I am going for quiet as possible.

Thanks for all of the input.

Comment

I think in general the best for quiet yet high-flow are largish square/rectangular case mufflers that have a straight through design. The type that look like a glasspack on the inside and a stockish muffler on the outside. A lot of Magnaflow and Dynomax mufflers are like that.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

It depends on how you set your exhaust up. I cut up a '94-'96 Impala cat back to make everything after the H-pipe work. I will see how another engine sounds and if it's too loud, I will place the 12" or 18" resonators (glasspacks) on the tail pipes. Right now, what I got works with the lopo.

Packman

Comment

My set up is:
              2001 Explorer engine GT40P heads
              BBK ceramic coated unequal length shortys 15150
              '86 - '93 Mustang H-pipe with no cats Jeg's brand
              Mustang mid pipes
              a piece of 2.5" pipe
              Mufflers
              Impala tail pipes
              Possibly some resonators somewhere in between all of that.
              All of it 2.5"

Comment

I found some info on Walker Quiet Flow. They are going to be way quieter than DynoMax according to the reviews I have found on other websites.

After two phone calls to Walker and finding out the 25" muffler has been discontinued here is what I have found to use if you want a quiet muffler and have 2.5" exhaust.
                I asked them to give me the longest muffler and the next longest one so I could have options and possibly put two different size ones on the car.

Both of these are Walker Quiet Flow3 mufflers and have 2.5" offset inlet and 2.5" offset outlet.

Walker p/n 22393 (Summit WLK-22393, Jeg's 289-22393)
                4.25" X 9.75" oval, 19" shell 23" overall
                $65 - $67 or more at other retailers

Walker p/n 21548 (Summit WLK-21548, Jegs not offered)
                4.125" X 8.813" oval, 16" shell 20" overall
                $45.79 at Summit or more at other retailers

As you can see one is 3" longer than the other and $20 more.

Is it worth it to spend the extra $20 for one or $40 for two to get a little bit more quieter?
                Would it make that much of a difference?

Thanks to all of you guys opinions and thanks to Gadget for opening my eyes up to Walker quiet Flow.

Comment

I doubt it's THAT much of a difference for a little longer. I think by the time you get to large-case quietflows you're going to be hearing the engine far more than the muffler, and at least at idle it will be silent either way.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I have single chamber Flowmaster 10s on my white car. Catless. Its obnoxious (totally the wrong sound for the grandma image...)

It used to have Summit Turbo mufflers (the polished stainless ones), but I didn't like the idle sound.

I had a single chamber Cherry Bomb Extreme on my truck. Sounded good, but was pretty loud, and the drone was absurd. Buzzing interior trim FTL.

Now I have a Gibson muffler on it (with sound abating internals; not a steel muffler), and it sounds ok, with very little drone.

I have to say, though, I like the sound of chambered steel mufflers much more than a conventional turbo or glasspack muffler. I like exhaust that is brash; I can live with drone.

But on my Mustang, I think I am going to go with a Magnaflow 'competition' cat back. That system uses 'Magnapacks' which allegedly make plenty of noise under WOT, and are still reasonable at cruise. The car is too comfortable for me to ruin it with steel mufflers, and all that drone...
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I've put turbo mufflers on my cars before and they're all stock quiet. Also i've never felt any gain using them over stock, but with a straight through like a Magnaflow you can tell the difference. I'd suggest 22" or 24" case Magnaflows if they'll fit, those are ultra quiet except at WOT, and even then they're not very loud at all.

I wouldn't use the Walker mufflers, they're stock type mufflers that don't flow as well as a Super Turbo muffler. A Magnaflow or a long chambered muffler will be a lot better with a moddified engine. On a stock lopo you won't notice a huge difference but when you start adding power, things like exhaust make a bigger difference.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
                        I found some info on Walker Quiet Flow. They are going to be way quieter than DynoMax according to the reviews I have found on other websites.

After two phone calls to Walker and finding out the 25" muffler has been discontinued here is what I have found to use if you want a quiet muffler and have 2.5" exhaust.
                        I asked them to give me the longest muffler and the next longest one so I could have options and possibly put two different size ones on the car.

Both of these are Walker Quiet Flow3 mufflers and have 2.5" offset inlet and 2.5" offset outlet.

Walker p/n 22393 (Summit WLK-22393, Jeg's 289-22393)
                        4.25" X 9.75" oval, 19" shell 23" overall
                        $65 - $67 or more at other retailers

Walker p/n 21548 (Summit WLK-21548, Jegs not offered)
                        4.125" X 8.813" oval, 16" shell 20" overall
                        $45.79 at Summit or more at other retailers

As you can see one is 3" longer than the other and $20 more.

Is it worth it to spend the extra $20 for one or $40 for two to get a little bit more quieter?
                        Would it make that much of a difference?

Thanks to all of you guys opinions and thanks to Gadget for opening my eyes up to Walker quiet Flow.

Good egg, very possible those are just what you have in mind. How did you determine they were QuietFlows? I recall scouring the printed Walker catalog a few years ago and coming up with only one verifiable QuietFlow part number in 2.5" in/out, and it was OE for some Cadillac and cost more like $90.

packman, I think it was, just tried an experiment with mismatched Super Turbos and reported satisfactory results. Concept being, one guy said his Mustang had different-length mufflers right and left from the factory, and had no resonance, but when he replaced the system it got the same muffler right and left, and it always had resonance after that. IMO, Super Turbos are reasonably quiet (they're second quietest after QuietFlows if you watch the Sounds of Dynomax video), but I've experienced horrible drone/resonance in any full 2.5" system I've tried. So, I'm thinking if you were to try the same thing with QuietFlows, it could be really good and quiet!
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          Good egg, very possible those are just what you have in mind. How did you determine they were QuietFlows? I recall scouring the printed Walker catalog a few years ago and coming up with only one verifiable QuietFlow part number in 2.5" in/out, and it was OE for some Cadillac and cost more like $90.
                          I looked at the website several times and scoured the web and had no luck in getting the dimensions of the mufflers. I knew what I wanted but the website only gave "factory" mufflers to fit specific cars and gave no dimensions. So I picked up the phone and called the tech line and straight up asked them for the part number of the muffler I wanted. I told them I wanted Quiet Flow and offset and 2.5 inch in the biggest muffler they had. Then when they gave me that number I asked them to give me the next size shorter muffler as a backup. I am glad I did because the 25" muffler they gave me originally has been discontinued so I called them back they confirmed it was discontinued then they gave me another part number so I have two of the biggest ones available on the market right now.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          packman, I think it was, just tried an experiment with mismatched Super Turbos and reported satisfactory results. Concept being, one guy said his Mustang had different-length mufflers right and left from the factory, and had no resonance, but when he replaced the system it got the same muffler right and left, and it always had resonance after that. IMO, Super Turbos are reasonably quiet (they're second quietest after QuietFlows if you watch the Sounds of Dynomax video), but I've experienced horrible drone/resonance in any full 2.5" system I've tried. So, I'm thinking if you were to try the same thing with QuietFlows, it could be really good and quiet!
                          I really would like to get away with spending $90 on two mufflers but I guess $20 is cheap insurance to reduce the chance of resonance. I will mock up my system and see if they will fit before I order them though, just to be sure. Thanks for the ideas too.

Comment

If you get different lengths, it should pretty much ensure that you will have no drone. A lot of that resonance thing is the two sides of the exhaust ringing at the same frequency, and it drones through the body. Different mufflers keep that from happening. I probably should have done that on my car. May still consider swapping one of those mufflers for the longer one just to shut it up if adding sound deadning material to the trunk doesn't get it where I want.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Going to bring this back from the dead. I originally had flowmaster 40's on my car, too loud and droney. So i had some Magnaflow XL SS mufflers laying around, i liked them on the maverick, so I put them on. Still too loud. I put resonators on the tailpipes, a bit quieter, but whatever frequency it's at now, it gives me a headache.

I ordered 2 18" case mufflers for a 90 caprice with the police package. Walker SoundFX, 2.25 in and out, seemed like a good option to quiet it down. Inside the muffler the pipe goes down below 1.4" in and out, a horrible restriction. I can't justify the huge power loss these will incur.

I had put the Dynomax Super Turbos on my maverick, and it didn't make it that much quieter, but people say they are. I'm considering giving them a chance, but the 20" case versions. Will the longer case (14 vs 20) make that much of a difference? Im tired of taking the system apart and back together again for no benefit. I'd hate to do it again. I dont need the car quiet, but I want it much quieter than it is now, especially cruising.
                              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Flowmaster 50 series Delta flows that I had on my 96' were pretty quiet until I stomped on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X