cfi to carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cfi to carb?

might be switching to a carb on my 84 merc. I have most of the parts to complete but ran into an issue. i was assuming that my car cam stock with 2 fuel pumps ( one high, one low pressure) but come to find out i have just the high pressure. how can i bypass the high pressure to run with the carb and use a fuel regulator. thanks
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

use a fuel pressure regulator with a return. That will sort it out. Use the high pressure to feed the regulator and the regulator will let the excess return to the tank.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

cfi to carb?

okay thanks. so after the regulater just put a t fitting in the line (one to the carb and one to the return) correct? i have a mr gasket fuel regulator what psi should i set it at to feed the 2 barrel holley 2300 carb.
      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

the money you'll spend on that regulator is more than you'd spend on removing the stock fuel pump, making a regular pickup, and putting either an electric or mechanical low pressure carb-friendly pump on.

return style regulators have 3 connections. High pressure in, regulated pressure out, and return line out.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

cfi to carb?

yeah i looked up the return regs and they are expensive. i had a thought tho. is it possible to get a low pressure in take fuel pump from like a 84 thunderbird sence they came with one high and one low pressure pump. also once i remove the cfi wiring what will energize the fuel pump. I already perchased a holley 2300 which was bolted to a 1990 crown vic that was at the junk yard, hei dist, fuel reg, and small rv cam.

Comment

cfi to carb?

has anyone done this set up before. thanks

Comment

i did this on my 84 cv. its as easy as disconnecting the cfi and putting in a 2 barrel and a regulator. at summit racing they have either 1-4 psi which is a 12-804 part # or a 4.5 to 9 psi 12-803 pn both by holley for $27.95. im using a swap meet holley 500 and the latter of the regulators and while it runs a little rich it still runs good

Comment

thanks cars463. does your 84 vic have just one one high pressure pump in the tank also. do you have any tips or extra info on the swap.

Comment

I'm almost certain there's one pump but I'm pretty sure it would work either way. I monted the regulator bracket to the wiper box with some screws I'm not really sure which regulator to get because with mine being the higher flow of the two on my stock motor I have it adjusted just about to the lowest it can be. So if you're planning anything performance oriented id get the larger one

Comment

Working...
                  X