My '80 Ford LTD 2-Door Slicktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '80 Ford LTD 2-Door Slicktop

Here's the newest addition to my collection. An '80 Ford LTD 2-Door Base model Slicktop, that I picked up from one of our GMN members who is local to me (Brandon) for $800. Was a North Carolina car its entire life, and as such is about 90% rust-free. Myself being the 3rd Owner. The car has 117K on the clock, is 32 years old, and still runs and rides awesome. She is the definition of a no options Base Model, and doesn't even have defrost lines in the Rear Windshield, surprised it even had a tilt column and A/C from the factory. Powered by a stout D9 302 w/ VV carb. Future plans for the car, are a complete Frame-off Resto, and a Turbo 351W build w/ supporting drivetrain and suspension mods, which should put her in the neighborhood of 5-600 horses. I won't accept anything less than that this time, and now have the money to make it a reality.

On with the pics!

Exterior:

All I have done at this point is swap out the hood (at Brandon's house), with the hood from my old '87 CV, and give her a good wash. Wanted to get pics of the original look of the car before I start changing things. The body is in nice shape with no major damage or rust, just a few dings and dangs here and there, which are easily fixed. The rare 1980 only Front Bumper is damn near perfect other than needing a re-chrome. I have a smooth '79 Landau rear bumper, I'm gonna be installing. I have no idea why the bottom lip of the Trunk Lid is rusted out, when the rest of the car is in such nice shape. Maybe mice got in there and packed it full of stuffing, which held moisture and in turn rotted out the lip.

I have a very nice replacement Trunklid for the car, and will be installed sometime soon.The car is sitting on a hill, which is why it's leaning to one side, and I got it stuck in the mud on a dirt back road earlier which is why the tires are dirty. For anyone wondering, the red car in the pics is an old '87 Merc project I decided to abandon for other reasons, is now my parts car, and is about to be hauled off to the scrap yard soon. The white car is my '80 MKVI, that I'm currently doing an SEFI 302 HO conversion on, and getting ready for the road again.

Interior:

Haven't done anything in here, haven't even cleaned anything yet. Just a standard base model cheap vinyl interior. Doesn't even have door sill plates. The Dash and all the Interior Trim are still really nice and easy restorable. Everything else in here will be re-upholstered. Carpet is the only thing still available new to my knowledge. Only other interior I have ever seen optioned just like this one in a box, was in an '85 CVPI ex-police detectives car. Regardless of what Bucket seats I end up going with in this car, the entire Interior will be redone in Red, as I'm planning on painting the car Gloss Black. Something about a Black car with a Red interior.

The trunk carpet was nasty so I had already ripped it out at this point. It had the cheap base model carpet though, which doesn't cover the entire trunk anyway. I will be looking soon to score some LX carpet from a creampuff in the yard. Nice and rust-free Trunk pan, and inside of the Rear Quarters (which is a common rust out point).

Engine:

VV powered D9 302, nothing special, but surprisingly stout and torquey for such a weak little motor. The air cleaner assembly was removed for the pic, you can't see it in the pics, but there is a massive spaghetti mess of vacuum lines behind the Intake, WTF are they all for!!! The VV only runs right when it wants to, and will be replaced with a Holley 4bbl w/ Intake, and Lokar Throttle/TV Cables soon, so that I can drive the car around reliably. Lots of clean up, and removal of unnecessary items to be done in here. This is gonna be a nice weather only car, so I'm deleting the A/C and Heater Core and removing everything related from the car to lighten things up. There's a '90 Towncar fan shroud, and Aux Trans cooler in there too, looks to be stock otherwise. This is one area of the car which is going to change very dramatically over time.

Undercarriage:

Nice and clean, just how I like em. Only minor surface rust on a few places. PS A/C drain bulkhead doesn't have even a speck of rust inside it. Nice custom dual exhaust setup w/ Flowmasters installed, nice and tucked up to the body, just how I like it. Was well done by whoever did it. I would have ripped it all out by now if someone had just thrown some ill-fitting mustang parts on there. Body Mounts look to be good for now, but I'm going to replace them anyway with Poly units.

Core support is bent, but I have a replacement sitting in my shed ready to install.

She's an excellent starting point for what I want to do. Which is to build a lightweight Full-Size street rod that I will enjoy driving fast on windy back roads, and to embarrass/win money from the local Chevy douchebags at our 1/8mi track here. Planning on doing a full frame-off Resto, having the Bumpers re-chromed, and a fresh Gloss Black Paintjob laid down as well, to make her look new again. More progress is coming soon. Stay Tuned.

Nice!!! Wierd how the only rust is on the trunklid. That's a great project.

Packman

Comment

Looks like a fine project! I like your plans for it except the changing of the color combo...IMHO those cars in green are full of win!
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I saw rust in the usual spots... door bottoms... a-pillar door jam (body joint there between the hinges), bottom of the rear bumper...

but yeah... looks good and solid and in need of a little love.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Happen to like the Black Ext and Red Int. Many years a go I had a girlfirend that had a '75 Ford Granada with that combination and so it always reminds me of her. Lots of work, though, to make it happen especially the interior but sounds like you can get it done! Good Luck!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Thanks mangs, I think I'm really gonna enjoy working on this project. Can get kind of tedious working on the Mark VI, where everything has to be perfect. I can relax a little more with this car and not worry so much.

Yes, surface rust on the door bottoms, and the very common rust in the door jamb body seam between the hinges. That's pretty much the most major rust areas on the entire body though, and what does exist there can be easily fixed at this point. The rear bumper is very crusty, and is getting replaced with a nice rust-free creampuff of a smooth bumper from a '79 Landau.

I've already started working on her, and more progress is coming very soon.

Comment

PLEASE keep the interior that color.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                PLEASE keep the interior that color.
                ^This...Green FTW.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Negative. The original non-faded color which is like a Metallic Aqua Green, is not a bad looking color on the Body, but just looks straight up tacky in the interior, imo. The car is gonna be painted Gloss Black as well, and then it surely wouldn't it wouldn't look right with a lime green interior, which is really the swaying decision for me. If I was gonna keep it more Luxury Car than Hot Rod, I probably would keep the Green on Green and just have everything redone. I'm going for a mean/intimidating look with this one though.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                    . I'm going for a mean/intimidating look with this one though.
                    Just my two cents, if that is the case possibly consider going Black on Black w/ some nice 20% tint. Sweet!
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yesterday I got the nice Trunk Lid installed on the car, and without even checking to see if the key Brandon gave for for it was correct or not, I slammed it shut, and sure enough when I try and open it again it was indeed not the right key. FUCK! I thought, what am I gonna do now, other than hack the trunk lid somehow to get it back open, or call an expensive locksmith. Feeling Defeated, I slinked away.

Today, while thinking about it at work, and how much it pissed me off that I didn't check before slamming it shut, it occurred to me that the '87 Trunk lid I installed had a Trunk Popper on it, and if I remove the rear seat back I can probably reach my hand through the hole into the trunk, grab the power wire for the trunk popper, and then I'll be golden.

So, I get home today, pull out the rear seat back, grab the trunk popper power wire and pull it out, hooked it up to a 12V battery, grounded said battery on the body, and Pop goes the Trunk Lid! Very Nice when you can redeem yourself like that, after doing something stupid. Installed a good Trunk Lock Cylinder w/ Key afterward, aligned the Trunk lid, and all is now good in LTD land. More pics are coming soon.

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                      Just my two cents, if that is the case possibly consider going Black on Black w/ some nice 20% tint. Sweet!

That is a possibility. I may end up doing just that. Most racing bucket seats already come in Black, so that would save me some money as well!

Comment

That's good. Least you got it open without having to call a lock smith. Good thinking mang

Comment

I'd of cried if that happened to me. Then my father would come out and tell me to STFU. At which point he would have figured out a way passed my problem so he can watch TV in peace.

Packman

Comment

Happened to me once on one of my parts cars, had my mtn dew voltage in the trunk along with some tools and parts, dew was fresh from the fridge 2liter....I ended up popping it open like you did.
                            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Got the Entire Interior stripped out, ripping out all the nasty old insulation and carpet now (Which was the source of the musty smells), cleaning stuff and getting everything the way I want it to be for now. Front bench seat is in the garbage pile as well now.

I'm hitting it hard today. Will have another big update for this car soon, before I get back started on my MKVI again.

Comment

Working...
                              X