multiple question post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple question post

im pretty new to working on these cars so i have a couple questions.

1. I did a little searching but didnt come up with much, what would be the easiest way to change the spark plugs? i noticed that it looks like the fuel rail sits right on top of them on the drivers side. any insite on this?

2. I need to replace the water pump, what do i need to do to take the fan off? any special tools for that?

3. Does anyone have a diagram for the serpintine belt? i think im missing something or the belt is to long?

Sorry if these have already been asked, i'll do some more searching though.

what car is this again?

ah... 93. Scott has my 93 in his possession... so a belt diagram won't be forthcoming from me. Maybe Scott can take a pic (or someone else that has a 93 or similar 4.6L)

the water pump will need a special tool just to get the fan off. I saw one at Scott's when I was there recently. Or a large wrench avle to get around that huge 6 sided shaft with a long enough arm to whack it with a hammer (more than one whack will probably be needed to get it going... but it should spin off nicely after that). You will need the belt to be on to do this though.

The spark plugs are pretty easy to get to on the passenger side. The driver side just needs the big plastic part of the intake removed. The hose clamps are part of the equation, there's a couple of mounting bolts for that huge plastic section on the area near the throttle body (typically broken if someone removed it half assed and didn't remove those screws). All you really need is a 6 inch extension to clear the fuel rails. you may need to wiggle a bit to get around them... but it should clear fine.
    Last edited by sly; 10-19-2011, 01:08 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
      what car is this again?

ah... 93. Scott has my 93 in his possession... so a belt diagram won't be forthcoming from me. Maybe Scott can take a pic (or someone else that has a 93 or similar 4.6L)

the water pump will need a special tool just to get the fan off. I saw one at Scott's when I was there recently. Or a large wrench avle to get around that huge 6 sided shaft with a long enough arm to whack it with a hammer (more than one whack will probably be needed to get it going... but it should spin off nicely after that). You will need the belt to be on to do this though.

The spark plugs are pretty easy to get to on the passenger side. The driver side just needs the big plastic part of the intake removed. The hose clamps are part of the equation, there's a couple of mounting bolts for that huge plastic section on the area near the throttle body (typically broken if someone removed it half assed and didn't remove those screws). All you really need is a 6 inch extension to clear the fuel rails. you may need to wiggle a bit to get around them... but it should clear fine.
      awesome, thanks for the information.

Comment

Also, put the plugs in dry, no anti-seize, and torque them to 12-14 ft/lbs. THe earlier 4.6 have about 4 threads in the soft aluminum heads to hold the plugs, and its easily damaged by over-torquing the plugs, which can eventually cause them to shoot a plug. No need to remove the fuel-rail, you can work around it.
        -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
        1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Working...
        X