Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MegaMerc

Doing water pump today.....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

What a coincidence Im doing the same thing today
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

I had to stop half way because the rain became too annoying....
      I wanted to start the Heater Core today also.
      Unfortunately I can't work past 5 tonight & can't touch it again til Sunday afternoon.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
        I had to stop half way because the rain became too annoying....
        I threw my back out when I got up this morn, had to wait for a part & didn't get started till around 10:30.
        even with the rain delay I am almost done w/the water pump.

Have to exchange the u rad hose & a heater hose so I am done for the day......

Comment

I just started mine about 3:30 old one is off now gonna eat, and then back to work on the new one.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

Estimate of time to complete this job, if you tried within a day?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
              Estimate of time to complete this job, if you tried within a day?
              started workin on mine about 3:30 stopped to eat about 6 and finally got it done about 10:00 pm. Its not a hard job its just a ton of stuff to tear apart and normally difficult rusty bolts. id say around 5 or 6 hours your first time could probably get it down to 3 or 4 with experience. This was my first so yeah about 6 hours.

Comment

I should have mentioned this yesterday.... the WP bolts came out no prob w/3/8 ratchet.....

Tech tip... I used lots of antisieze when I replaced it 10 +/- years ago (not just on the threads, but on the shafts of the bolts also).

Comment

Water pump job is ~4 hours if you have all the required stuff and have done it a couple times. I've done mine too damn many times. Car used to shit a water pump about every 10k miles for a while until I finally got a pump that wasn't a piece of shit on there. Avoid reman pumps, they suck.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The W/P bolts on mine were quite troublesome so I used the handy air impact gun to get em out. Used plenty of rtv going back together even took the back plate off the pump and did both sides of the gasket. I also put never sieze on every single nut and bolt that I took apart on the way back together. And so far not a single drop has leaked.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                      The W/P bolts on mine were quite troublesome so I used the handy air impact gun to get em out. Used plenty of rtv going back together even took the back plate off the pump and did both sides of the gasket. I also put never sieze on every single nut and bolt that I took apart on the way back together. And so far not a single drop has leaked.
                      I still have to install the new rad hoses & fill it...Didn't think of rtv-ing the back plate, bummer.....

Comment

I only did the backplate because the instructions with the pump said to which actually surprised me. I figured they'd pretty much tell me to just slap it on and go after i got over the initial surprise of it even having any instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                          The W/P bolts on mine were quite troublesome so I used the handy air impact gun to get em out.
                          I already mentioned how lucky you are that you didn't break any of them, right?

I always RTV the back of the pump also. Might not actually have to, but I think huge coolant leaks are really annoying.

Thain: I like my reman water pump. $15 >> $95!!!!
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Today is Heater Core Day

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                              Today is Heater Core Day

ouch i hate heater cores. when mine goes i have somebody im paying to put the new one in. i aint rippin the dash out of my lincoln.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                              -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Working...
                              X