No announcement yet.

The MegaMerc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

today is heater core flush day for me when I get home. hoping seriously that I don't have to swap it out. That Lincoln is a nightmare behind the dash.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Did I luck out? ALLDATA shows 4.5 hours of work for my Merc's heater core, and the instructions don't seem TOO overwhelming...
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
        Did I luck out? ALLDATA shows 4.5 hours of work for my Merc's heater core, and the instructions don't seem TOO overwhelming...
        It's not overwhelming. It's just that the car is almost 30 years old, it's been molested (wiring), brittle vacuum lines and the like. And if it's your first time... it's going to take longer than 4.5 hours...

Comment

I started it around 9:30, took my time, got distracted, took food breaks & stuff, still got it done before dinner. There are only 4 bolts left over! The hose from the core to the pipe @ the rear of the manifold was wrong. The one on it still has the tags, it is a Motorcraft dated 2002 which makes sense since I remembered it to be around 10 yrs ago that I built the thing.<br>br>As far as the restrictor, it doesn't have one. When the heater hose blew on my Mustang (car was only around a year old) general consensus was that the restrictor caused higher pressure that toasted the hose. I do beat on it from time to time, are they really useful?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I think what people would benefit from more would be a complete shutoff valve to the core. No flow, instead of restricting flow.

Comment

no flow would probably pop hoses all the time though. and yes, the restrictor is a good thing. would you rather replace a hose or a heater core?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                no flow would probably pop hoses all the time though. and yes, the restrictor is a good thing. would you rather replace a hose or a heater core?
                Do you know where to get one?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                  Do you know where to get one?
                  cheap chrome socket and a hose clamp to keep it in place (preferably closer to the output from the engine than the inlet to the heater core). or late model restoration... http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...low-Restrictor

Comment

I purchased mine from late model Jim.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

New Mufflers.....

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...238#post736238

Comment

Replaced the broken odo/trip odo gears a week or so ago. Pn is Dorman 924-388...

Comment

New exhaust is not as loud as I wanted it to be....

Comment

Swapped all 4 snows on today....

Comment

The tow truck can't bring the MegaMerc home till tomorrow.....

Left work, leaned into it pretty good on the straight section of the main artery (3 lanes each dir), no burnout, no hard launch.... Lost all forward drive when the loud rattling/buzzing started.... Neutral, no noise, D or OD, noise... Coasted to the next turn off & down the street, pulled to the side & experimented, no noise in P or N, (that just doesn't look right...) Noise in gear... Tranny? looks ok, rear? Why is there black liquid emanating from the pumpkin cover?..... Turns out that one of the Mitymerc's old sponsors sold his flatbed no tow... Arranged for a tow, fell through, So, I am waiting for Pantera to come get it with his cool new truck j/k. I have arranged for it to be dragged home in the morn. I spent the afternoon chopping ice & shoveling to clear the pad behind the garage so I have a place to work. I hope it is just spider gears or something simple.

After the the epic burnout @ Scottfest it made a clunking noise a few times heading back to the ranch, but stopped after that. Maybe stripped the teeth from the clutches? I really don't want to buy gears & set them up while lying on wet frozen concrete... And now it is snowing...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Jeesh, good luck with it all. Just in time for the weather to get crappy too...

sigpic
                                - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Working...
                                X