No announcement yet.

The MegaMerc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I've located a TracLoc, 4:10s and a couple maincaps. I'm concerned about sticking different caps on it since they were machined for a different rear.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...estructed-rear

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...52477-Uca-bolt

Finally had a chance to work on it on Sunday afternoon.

After the application of successively larger hammers (including the BMFH) , various impact wrenches and an air hammer. I was able to move the bolt in & out a little. Then I discovered that I could turn it a little with a breaker bar but didn't have enough room to swing it. when I realized I could now turn it the attempt was made to simply "unscrew' it with a 1/2" ratchet. No dice. I had my son to turn the wrench while I applied an air punch to the bolt. Success! after that it was a simple matter of removing the brake hose, cable & the other (pre-denutted) other bolts. Now all that is left to do is locate another rear, pick up the Trac-Loc & gears, clean & paint the housing & rebuild it. Oh yeah, then determine which speedo gear to install, then install the rear & adapt the brake line & cable....

It has kinda stunk (more like a noxious reek) to not have my car for the last 6 weeks and who knows how much longer this will go on.....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Found a 44k 96 rear today, picking it up Fri. Unfortunately he said I will need to replace the rotors. I suppose any stock replacement type would be sufficient.

Any suggestions?

Also getting a trac loc & 4:10s Friday.

Comment

I have good experiences with Centric premium. That is a plain Chinese rotor, but a "cut" above the cheapies.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

They're solid rear rotors. Basically if they are round and fit over the holes, they'll work. Just make sure you figure out what pistons are in the calipers. Could be phenolic or steel, and the brake pads are different depending. Same actual pad, the clips are not the same. check both sides too just to make sure you don't have a mismatch.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Another thing you may want to consider. The 03 and up are vented rotors so not compatible but there are different rotors for TC vs CV. The TC rotors have a thicker hat which as Ivan deduced is for NVH. The earlier models may or may not have the choice. Either rotor will work in either application.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thanks, guys, any ideas on ultra rotor 66595 (rockauto) or bendix global prt5109 (summit)?

I will also check locally as time permits.

Comment

The last set of Bendix rotors I bought were for my S10. The studs were not in the right place and the wheel wouldn't go on. Found this out after doing a complete brake job on both sides. Ended up putting the old rotors back on with the new bearings.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I checked and TC & CV are the same rear rotor up to 02.

I have no experience with the two you mentioned. It is the rear so maybe not that important but I would try and get out of the "economy" and into the "daily driver" category if you are so inclined.
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

There was only 1 centric rotor when I checked the site this morning.

Thanks for the cross reference, I had already looked up the possibility of interchange w/the newer cars as I have a pair from a '98 in the storage garage, I will have to see if they are serviceable.

Comment

Got this today...

Click image for larger version

Name:	96 rear 01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1277268

'96 44k open diff, 2:73's.

Also picked up '03 Mach One 20k trac loc w/Ford Motorsport 4:10's.

It is now completely stripped, loose rust removed, ready to be cleaned prior to painting. I hope the weather is conducive tomorrow.

I hope due it being all ford & having the shims from the previous install that the gear set up will be close to if not correct on the 1st try. The hang up is that I don't know which shim goes on which side.

Comment

I imagine that I have to utilize the hard lines from the orig rear across the doner to connect the caliper lines? It a non-abs rear.

Comment

You can either use the original hard lines and make yourself a little bracket to hold the caliper hose, or you can install plumbing more along the lines of what the stock aero non-abs plumbing would look like. Your call, but I'd base it on the condition of the lines. On my car, the line at the back where it bends to go from the frame rail to the center hose was in bad shape, so we replaced all of it with new line running in the aero config. it also gets me down to 4 hoses in the system instead of 5 total (two on the front brakes).

Plus, I could not get the bolt out that holds the center hose to save my life. Its still in there with a piece of the original hose. The rest of that stuff has been chopped out.

Comment

Thanks Thain,

So I can utilize the old hardline across the rear, will it fit into the caliper or do I need adapters?

(I can not look @ it today) I hope to have some time to work on it tomorrow.

I do not see teeth or sensors on the axles, but the brake line set up is goofed. There is a hose from each caliper one has a distro block on it w/2 stubs of hard line
                              attached to it.

Comment

Calipers are metric. If you use old sae lines from your original car you need adapters. Most important thing, echos Thain here, is the condition of the line. Any sign of corrosion it is not worth keeping. Get the newer coated line, still pretty cheap, or some are using the Nickel? line now. You do need the double flare tool to install the fittings.
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                                X