Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
    Um, uh oh....

well, "all she wrote for that pickup" I should say. I actually called 86VickyLX for a rescue mission and stuck his spare distributor in the car on the side of the road. Ran fine and I rebuilt the distributor once I got home. I thought it was the TFI initially until I realized it didn't spin properly. I found the magnet stuck to the bottom of the spider when I took it apart. New pickup and new TFI and it runs fine. Original TFI is around here someplace as a spare.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Vic!

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      I couldn't tell you if this test procedure/info is accurate but it might be worth a try:
      http://351winsor.com/joel/Ignition_Systems/tfi2.html

I wonder if 351windsor.com was already taken?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Link to TFI install.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...756#post777756

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Runs now?
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Runs now?
            Yeah, it started every time for me so without a hard failure I did not subject it to the test VCV suggested.

My usual local used parts repositories failed me (read basement, garage & storage garage) so I stole it from the Blue car ...

I beat it around the neighborhood a bit and it did not fail.

Comment

And now for something completely different, I put the front summer tires on last weekend and the rears on today.

Comment

The annoying belt squeak was bad last week, it was still intermittent and I couldn't identify the source. I ordered a tension pulley & installed it today. Still squeals, Removing the Alternator belt did not change the issue. It must be the AC or Thermactor pump....

Comment

The AC pulley can sometimes squeak if the clutch is not shimmed enough or the shims are worn enough to cause the pulley to scrape the clutch. If you turn on the AC and the squeaking stops... this is probably the issue. Otherwise, it's probably the pulley bearing.

This also reminds me that I need to replace the main belt on the beater. It's all cracky. Also need to rebuild the alternator... but meh. It still works even though it squeals for a little when cold.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Beater gonna beat...

Comment

yup

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I had already tried the ac on & off. Your post reminded me of all the ac clutches that were replaced on the Mustang. Apparently bombing through the twisties with the ac on releases the magic rubber & deposits it all over the bottom of the hood & engine bay.

Comment

A guy that has stopped by the garage & looked at the Megamerc in the past stopped by on Sat & offered me $2700 for it.....

Comment

Paid 5 tolls today... Arrived @ car this morn, hit the key, nothing (lose). Tried head lights nothing (lose). check voltage @ bat., Nada, Zip, Zilch, no voltages (lose). Ok , swap in alt & bat. Cool spark show when I attempted to connect Bat (lose). Ascertained that all loads were shut off, attempt to connect bat, cable stuck to terminal, the magic smoke is coming out!!! Pull it off! Pull it off! (lose) Hmmmm what could pull that kind of amperage? Hammered on starter, battery sparks (lose).
                            Why is the Starter cable touching the header? (possible rally?) Meanwhile I did not bring a jack, I can barely fit under the car, the back of my head is scraping on the concrete, my nose is pressed on various bits of undercarriage and cars, trucks and buses are whizzing past at 80 MPH. Unbolt cable, why is solenoid moving? Cable out

Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter cable 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1280821Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter cable 4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1280822

Long story shortened, Drove to next exit, paid toll, 2nd parts store had a useful cable, (win) back on road drove, past car, paid toll, backtrack to car. after shoving the cable in & rerouting it a few times We got it back together & actually made it home (after paying 2 more tolls). The battery is on the charger, I hope it takes a charge. I will investigate starter and reroute cable on Saturday.
                            Last edited by mitymerc; 10-09-2016, 07:23 PM.

Comment

magic smoke show is never fun... but always... always... lets you know WTF died.

Comment

I have occasionally been forced to force a smoke show as a diagnostic tool.

Comment

Working...
                                X