No announcement yet.

The MegaMerc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shit like this is why I love older 4x4 trucks, all sorts of space under there even for fatties. Also, fuck toll roads. But at least it was a cheap fix, and hopefully your battery comes back to life.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

And why I don't have a fondness for lowering cars. Very handy when you can shimmy underneath to do things. Thats one thing I miss about the box, I could change the oil on it without having to drive up onto anything. Irony, I need to drive up on a couple 2x's to change oil in the GMC.

Comment

Followed up on the Starter issue last Sat. The Solenoid seperated from the Starter. The bolts were still there, cleaned & Locktited them. Charged the battery overnight, load tester shows acceptable results. Been running fine all week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1280868Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1280869
        Last edited by mitymerc; 10-23-2016, 07:14 PM. Reason: speeling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This starter looks like it's seen better days... Plenty of use could explain them bolts getting loose. Heck I've had some new starters come with loose bolts, solenoid is one thing but when the loose ones are the long ones that are supposed to make a 4kW motor stay put it things can get quite interesting if not caught on time

Red loctite should certainly fix the solenoid bolts tho, and this being the older Delco-Remy style starter it won't give a hoot that it was run with a nearly dead battery.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Speaking of bolts, are those starter bolts someones idea of a joke? They're partially rounded when they are freakin new!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Oh them fuckers! Yeah I wanna get a bag full of the, and use it to beat the shit outta whoever came up with the idea for them. It's a 3/8" bolt with a 1/2" head (typically would be 9/16"), shallow at that, and yes damn near half-rounded even when new. I've been replacing those pieces of fecal matter whenever I get the chance, never ever had I encountered a setup where a regular 3/8" bolt did not fit properly. And if such interference did exist, I'd use torx or even inverted torx (takes E-sockets) well before I choose to run that disasterpiece the factory gave us.

Comment

Didn't want to deal with the slow leaks in my summer wheels that I endured last year.

I had my tires dismounted & buffed the beads with a stranded plastic flapper wheel that I discovered lurking in the dark recesses of my garage.
                  Also cut out the valve stems.
                  I am going to clean the beads on the tires too.

Flapper.

Before.

After.

Surprisingly the flapper wheel made it through the job without losing many more strands.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

She done well.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I posted pics, but don't see them via phone? Can you guys see them?

Comment

I thought it was just me, or my work computer blocking the pictures for some reason. I tried my phone and remote login on my home computer and get the same thing.
                          Those guys are both admins so maybe they can see the pictures somehow.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

X-ray vision LOL

Comment

I had loading issues with the pictures yesterday. Had to refresh the page a few times to get them all to show up. The pics are there.

Comment

No issues here. Ratty looking wire flap wheel thing making good work of your aluminum wheel beads.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X