Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My $600 1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series(Beverely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

time for an update. i am in the process of prepping the cars frame to make it rust and rot free for the snow coming ahead. i used por 15 products and sandpaper to get my frame to be clean. started by treating the frame with marine clean then metal ready and then finally por 15 rust preventive paint. so far it came out nice i have half of the frame done due to the lack of good weather. tomorrow is suppose to be nice so i will finish up the frame tomorrow. i used the sand paper to sand down loose and flaking paint and rust. today since it is raining i pulled the lincoln into the garage and started to por 15 the trunk floorpan. pulled up the caret to see not a speck of rust occuring i was shocked. so i just marine cleaned the floorpan then let it dry then applied my first coat of por 15. after that coat dries i will apply another and it should be done. in nice weather i also plan to pull out the interior and carpet to por 15 the floor pan inside the car.

anyways heres pics of my process. oh and this is all painted by hand with a paint brush i dont have fancy spray guns.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Me likey already!! As long as the "prep" was done correctly it should be effective and long lasting!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

what type of paint did you use?
        2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
        2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
        1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

POR 15. since i used the step by step instructions it should last.

you can buy the kit here

http://www.por15.com/

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

POR15 is good stuff. Eastwood makes a comparable product as well, its als good stuff. A friend of mine used Rustoleum undercoating and it also doesn't appear to suck. Its sort of an odd silver/black color though. Truth be told, regular old Rustoleum paint and their rusty metal primer would likely do the job just fine. I know Rustoleum also exists in satin black, which pretty nearly approximates chassis black for the proper look.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Kind of wish I had the time and $$ to put fancy paint all over everything.

RustOleum Rusty Metal Primer is good stuff.

What's that stupid fuel-pump looking thing inside the trunk? Is that one of those "trunk munchers"?
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Kind of wish I had the time and $$ to put fancy paint all over everything.

RustOleum Rusty Metal Primer is good stuff.

What's that stupid fuel-pump looking thing inside the trunk? Is that one of those "trunk munchers"?
                yup
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

well i am wanting to bump the timing a little on the lincoln. form the factory i think there set at 10 i want to bump it to 13. how can i do that.

Comment

You need a timing light. Remove the spout connector, hook up the timing light to cylinder 1's spark plug wire. 10 degrees BTDC should be marked, if not, mark it. Then with another color, mark 13btdc. I know to advance the timing, you turn the distributor clockwise, and to retard it, you turn it counter clockwise. Start up the car, point the gun at the pointer and see where you are now. Shut it off, loosen the distributor hold down, so it's able to move, but don't move it yet. Start up the car and with the light on the pointer, adjust it so 13btdc is directly under the point of the pointer.

Comment

that's the proper way... I cheat. I loosen the dizzy while it running and adjust it on the fly... not for the faint of heart or first timers though and this is NOT any kind of recommendation for doing it this way. seriously bad mojo can happen if the dizzy slips.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nothing wrong with loosening the holddown while running ... I just try to avoid doing that because I'm paranoid about getting zapped. I also hate reaching over the accessories while they're spinning. Slightly less dangerous with an electric fan and 3G alternator, though.

What sort of mishap do you have in mind when you speak of "dizzy slippage"?
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          Nothing wrong with loosening the holddown while running ... I just try to avoid doing that because I'm paranoid about getting zapped. I also hate reaching over the accessories while they're spinning. Slightly less dangerous with an electric fan and 3G alternator, though.

What sort of mishap do you have in mind when you speak of "dizzy slippage"?
                          im gonna wait to bump the timing till my ho swap is done. on the other hand the frame is all por 15d for winter. looks good also got mail from hypostang and got the center caps for my wire wheels on there today. thank you again hypostang. pics soon.

Comment

heres pics

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                              that's the proper way... I cheat. I loosen the dizzy while it running and adjust it on the fly... not for the faint of heart or first timers though and this is NOT any kind of recommendation for doing it this way. seriously bad mojo can happen if the dizzy slips.
                              You're telling me your distributor as soon as you loosen it even a little bit does like the exorcist and spins around by itself?

My Dad tried loosening my distributor while it was running. Wrench slipped, went into the fan, broke the fan clutch. I didn't figure that out until a few days later when it overheated and blew the heater core.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                                You're telling me your distributor as soon as you loosen it even a little bit does like the exorcist and spins around by itself?

My Dad tried loosening my distributor while it was running. Wrench slipped, went into the fan, broke the fan clutch. I didn't figure that out until a few days later when it overheated and blew the heater core.
                                no... I'm saying it's a possibility that it may spin the dizzy some and possibly cause a backfire which can cause other crap to go wrong. It can't go all exorcist on you cause the TFI is attached. The engine should just idle real bad and die if the dizzy slips, but it can get far enough around that it might backfire... hence the caution.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X