Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'83 Mark VI runs rich for years, still can't fix. . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its California. Everything is a pollutant in California. I'm half surprised humans don't have to go in for annual breathalyzer checks to make sure they aren't chugging out too much CO2.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Its California. Everything is a pollutant in California. I'm half surprised humans don't have to go in for annual breathalyzer checks to make sure they aren't chugging out too much CO2.
      wait for it...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

High CO2? Sure you don't mean CO?
        You would be correct. I am mixing my O2 sensors and CO emissions. I am still having nightmares full of acronyms after working on this.

CA smog testing is a complete racket, invented to keep gov't flush with tax dollars and mechanics and parts stores in business. I do everything I can to keep this Lincoln on the road--this is clearly designed to get you to junk your car. Ashame so many of these wind up in the yard over smog tests. I'd rather pay my polluter tax (smog certificate and some useless emissions parts) than give in to these enviro-fascists.

Really there should be an exemption for vintage cars that are only run a few thousand miles per year. These are obviously hobby vehicles and not being used as 20k miles/year commuter vehicles.

Comment

They don't have historic / antique tags or some rough equivalent out there ? NJ is like California-lite and we have historic plates with no state inspection. Heavily restricted for usage, but they exist. We have a joke of a smog test here, but I still have to do it. I would agree with you though, the smog checks are mostly intended to push older vehicles off the road. Theres no money for the auto makers in people keeping old cars running.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

CA has historic tags for any vehicle over 25 years but the restrictions suck. A hobby car is no hobby if you can't take it out for a Saturday night bar crawl, drive to the fancy restaurant in it, or go fishing with it. A road trip to Palm Springs or Las Vegas does not count as historical exhibition. Neither does, "I felt like taking the Lincoln to work today."

Besides, I love my original '83 sun-graphic California plates. Worried some thug will steal them one day.

Comment

Oh you have one of those deals where you can only drive to shows and to the mechanic, really low mileage restrictions, no operation after dark, etc? thats pretty much what we get here too. And that would be exactly why I don't have historic plates on my car either.

Comment

Gadget, I've never looked into historic plates here in NJ, but they can't be too strict as I've seen quite a few cars with them on the way in to work in the morning.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Texas has a middle ground called classic plates. allows for on-road use other than to and from events/shop, but still limits it to "pleasure only".

If I'm ever pulled over for driving it to work, I'll just say I like my job so much it's a pleasure to drive to and from it every day.

it's almost the truth and close enough to not be a lie... so meh. If he gives me flack about it... "my other car is in the shop" is my ultimate excuse.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by onedollarbob View Post
                    You would be correct. I am mixing my O2 sensors and CO emissions.
                    However, if CO2 is high, the engine is burning the correct amount of fuel. If CO2 is low, then you look at either O2 content, or CO content. High O2 indicates lean, High CO indicates rich.

Comment

Originally posted by onedollarbob View Post
                      this is clearly designed to get you to junk your car. Ashame so many of these wind up in the yard over smog tests.
                      NW Indiana is the same way - even my dad, as I understand it, junked a relatively nice '87 Grand Marquis when it wouldn't pass smog and it seemed more efficient to replace instead of repair.

Agreed on the idea of a separate mileage-limited registration, instead of the stupidity of having a historic-registered car effectively unusable for transportation. Though, how would they enforce that? Have a gov't goon poke his nose at your odometer every so often? Guess it'd beat having to have him poke his nose under your hood, though. Boy, do I like not having inspections of any sort ....
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                        Gadget, I've never looked into historic plates here in NJ, but they can't be too strict as I've seen quite a few cars with them on the way in to work in the morning.
                        If you actually read the restrictions its fairly strict, though I dont know how much they really enforce it. I know several people who run QQ plates and unhook the speedometer to keep the mileage under the limit.

Comment

I have QQ plates on a car in NJ, but then again, I've never even come close to the mileage limit.

I get the impression that the wording is very strict, but enforcement is more of a "meh" thing, since why go after cars that aren't driven much? Unless, of course, you're doing something stupid like 90 in a 45 zone, and then they'll probably throw any violations of the historic plates on top of whatever else they can.

But I couldn't say for sure.

Glad you got things going $1bob. While people see emissions checks as a pain, I sort of see them as an interesting bit of diagnosis. The few times I've had an emissions failure, and thankfully they've been very few, it's actually pointed out a problem that I fixed. And the way I see it, if it's running clean, it's running right, and less likely to have any unexpected wear or shortening of the engine's life....
                          1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                          Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                          Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                          Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Originally posted by King_V View Post
                            But I couldn't say for sure.

Glad you got things going $1bob. While people see emissions checks as a pain, I sort of see them as an interesting bit of diagnosis. The few times I've had an emissions failure, and thankfully they've been very few, it's actually pointed out a problem that I fixed. And the way I see it, if it's running clean, it's running right, and less likely to have any unexpected wear or shortening of the engine's life....
                            Yeah, if you fail emissions it's cause your car is messed up (as was found out here).

Emissions testing is designed as much to make you "junk your old car" as a plain old safety inspection. You're causing a danger to other people if your car fails either, just one is a more obvious danger (your tires are bald and you may fly off the road) as opposed to a bit harder to quantify (you're pumping out literally tons of carcinogens in front of people's houses).

If emissions testing was a conspiracy to stimulate the economy through new car sales, Michigan would be the strictest state, not Cali.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                            X