What To Do With Cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Do With Cruise

I want to put an aftermarket steering wheel in my car eventually, to go with the gauges that also will eventually make it into my car. Anyways right now i'm gathering ideas for what people have done with the cruise control controls, since they wouldn't work on the new steering wheel. I know they can be mounted elsewhere, like on my Chevy trucks the cruise is mounted on the turn signal stick. I imagine they could be moved to somewhere on the dash or something but i'm looking for ideas on what others have done, since I want it somewhere that's convenient and that I won't regret later.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

I've seen it put on the dash trim in that little strip between the upper and lower panels. There are also aftermarket control switches you can get for aftermarket wheels to retain cruise function that way. I'd probably go that route.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The cruise control on most of our cars works by using resisters to tell the circuit what button was pressed. On my 1989 the signal is sent across 2 wires going through the slip ring. A tap of 0 ohms or direct short signals on and off. A tap of 2,200 ohms is resume. A tap of 680 ohms is set/accel. A tap of 120 ohms is coast. I'm not sure if they varied the format year to year or not. It gives the resistance values in the electrical-vacuum shop manual.

You can set up your own control panel if you want with 4 push switches and resisters of the value needed. I have been thinking of using my old message center console buttons to run my cruise. I am also toying with the idea of mounting the actual throttle mechanism under the dash and running the cable through the fire wall since I want the engine comp. as clean as possible.
      sigpic
      89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

So a good way to do it would be buy aftermarket switches and bracket and connect the wiring to them and find a good spot for them. It sure would be easier than trying to get the stock switches off and making a bracket for them. Plus if I go aftermarket I can keep the stock wheel together and possibly resell it.

Comment

I' ve gone to the JY and got switches from another ford wheel , then just found someplace ergonomically and aesthetically pleasing .
          sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Do you have a digital dash Dan? If not, you can relocate the buttons right to the right of the instrument cluster.

Comment

there are cruise kits for a lot of aftermarket wheels.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Why pay money for something you can do yourself for cheaper?

Comment

Why not, buying a aftermarket wheel, OP wants it in a spot that he won't regret. On the wheel fits that requirement
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    Why not, buying a aftermarket wheel, OP wants it in a spot that he won't regret. On the wheel fits that requirement
                    True.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Do you have a digital dash Dan? If not, you can relocate the buttons right to the right of the instrument cluster.
                      Nope no digital dash, standard crappy square gauges. And i'll have to look up which wheels come with a cruise kit, or look them up separatly, whichever.

Comment

Working...
                      X