'04 GM LS burns oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'04 GM LS burns oil

So I picked up a fairly low mileage '04 (52,000) about a month ago. This is my first non-rental GM... and I'm very happy with it. We've put about 2,000 miles on it in a month, mostly roadtrips.

There is a faint but distinct oil-burning smell when the engine is hot. And after three weeks without a car wash, there are noticeable brown streaks coming back from the grille. So there's definitely some oily air conditions in there. My question: Is this even a problem? I know some engines like the Northstar you expect to burn oil... then again Northstars aren't supposed to last 250k like the Modular V8 is.

If it's no big deal there's no big deal but I want to take this car to 200k+ so if there's something I should pay attention to now, I want to do so, rather than waiting until something major happens.

Previous owner was a cop and my understanding is the car had good preventative maintenance, regular fluid changes and tune-ups etc, but I think it's a given he didn't do any of the standard 50/60,000 mile stuff since he traded it around that point.
    '04 LS Premium

Can you take pics of these streaks please?
    Thanks!
    And Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

sounds like it may be a trans/oil cooler leak if it's up by the grill. Pics for sure. this has me intrigued.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, the external oil coolers were only available on the CVPI's.
        Interesting? Yes.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

External oil coolers were also available as part of the handling and performance package (HPP) which was also known as LSE trim on '01+ GMQs w/ this package. Its the same as the Crown Vic Sport package, and on an '04 will be easily id by bucket seats w/ a center console and dual exhaust.

I am also intrigued by this oil burning issue, its somewhat unusual on a newer 4.6 w/ such low mileage. Although if its less than 1quart every 1500 miles, its nothing to worry about really.
          -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
          1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Working...
          X