Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's my story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as it stands, the car is one appointment away from vanity treatments. With the new cooling system and new brake system, all that's left in question is the engine electrical. With the alternator done, I have another appointment with the shop coming up to replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and belts.

Since winter is pretty well a write off for doing anything major, a lot of my time involves planning on how to afford the vanity fixes, thus my interest in the vinyl top.

On top of that, no pun intended, I am working on getting the suspension system redone (it's fine as is, just old), and working through some ideas on how to re-manufacture some of the internal panels around the dash.

I also want to reseat the heater core, as one of the bolts rusted through the firewall, I want to replace my blower, and the blower switch, get a new windshield. I need a new headlight switch, and have been considering the relay method, as I found some cheap relay kits at a local surplus.
    And of course, new radio deck and speakers/wiring.
    All these are just either time, or spending money on a pay cheque. The vinyl top however... That's a mountain to climb for sure, and as I said before, it will wait. But hot damn it's fun to think about.

As far as what I'd like to see with this car? I'm not 100% yet. But I am toying with the idea of a gloss black finish, with a burgandy top, but my interior is blue, so it would clash horribly. My 3 year old wants to see it red, and the wife wants it purple with a cream top ("pimp mobile" she calls it).
    I may just end up going all black on the exterior and shop around for every piece of chrome I can find. there was a '78 panther of some sort for sale not too far from here that was gloss black with chrome trim, I just about shat bricks it was so purdy.

All I know is... I hate white cars, and I drive one. So that must change in the next year or two. Depends on how much money i want to throw at a body shop, or at getting a welding station set up at home.

Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages to using carbon fibre (or straight epeoxy backed vinyl) overlay on high impact areas? I have seen it used as a protective barrier on the front end trim, around doors, and used as an accent on the top trim bar. Didn't even look tacky, on most of the cars, when used in moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
      Slicktop refers to vynil removal, two doors I think look best as a slick top but then again I went against the grain and have the only slicktop towncar on gmn or just about anywhere for that matter . It not to awful to do but it can be a chore getting the glue off the best way is to use medium paint reducer . I would find a hotrod upholstry shop if you want it recovered. But as others have said get the car up and running well before tackling outer appearance
      Do you have pictures I can drool over?

Edit: Found out you have 2 pics. Now I require more. Especially of your slicktop area. The curiosity eats away at me inside.
      Last edited by Neohippy; 12-15-2011, 08:02 PM.

Comment

here are pics of my lincoln and merc coupes to give you an idea what a slick top looks like. if you go to my cardomain page, you can see all my pics. link in my signature. or, you can check out my readers rides page.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20665984006_large.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	780.8 KB
ID:	1268237Click image for larger version

Name:	20665984005_large.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	752.1 KB
ID:	1268238Click image for larger version

Name:	2584864005_large.jpg
Size:	719.1 KB
ID:	1268239Click image for larger version

Name:	2584864008_large.jpg
Size:	723.6 KB
ID:	1268240

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Do not touch the heater core unless you're planning to replace it. If its original, it probably won't appreciate it.

If you want pics of a slicktop conversion, look for the Project79 or P79 thread in the Scott's Automotive area. There ought to be plenty of pics of what you'll find under a 2 door roof. Theres also some pics in the Galactica rebuild thread in that area of what you may find if you let the old vinyl stay on there too long. I personally like vinyl tops, but I can deal with a slicktop car better than a rusted roof. A chunk of the roof on my car had to be replaced.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            here are pics of my lincoln and merc coupes to give you an idea what a slick top looks like. if you go to my cardomain page, you can see all my pics. link in my signature. or, you can check out my readers rides page.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]31131[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31132[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31133[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31134[/ATTACH]

Well damn! That looks, dare I say, pretty slick! I'm not opposed to this.

Is there some kind of trim kits for the windows to get rid of the gap?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Do not touch the heater core unless you're planning to replace it. If its original, it probably won't appreciate it.

If you want pics of a slicktop conversion, look for the Project79 or P79 thread in the Scott's Automotive area. There ought to be plenty of pics of what you'll find under a 2 door roof. Theres also some pics in the Galactica rebuild thread in that area of what you may find if you let the old vinyl stay on there too long. I personally like vinyl tops, but I can deal with a slicktop car better than a rusted roof. A chunk of the roof on my car had to be replaced.
              I replaced the heater core a few months ago when I did the cooling system. That's how I found out about the rusted out hole where the bolt goes. I have some fill in there now, but I didn't get it fixed at the time due to a flurry of repairs all at once, and the need for this car to be a daily driver.

Thanks for the tips on the pics. I'm off to scrounging for eye candy I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Neohippy View Post
                Well damn! That looks, dare I say, pretty slick! I'm not opposed to this.

what gap do you speak of, that is around the windows? after vinyl removal, all your trim goes back on place. the side window moldings will fit real nice, with the vinyl deleted.

and yes, there are a few detailed threads around here on doing a slick top conversion.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                  what gap do you speak of, that is around the windows? after vinyl removal, all your trim goes back on place. the side window moldings will fit real nice, with the vinyl deleted.

and yes, there are a few detailed threads around here on doing a slick top conversion.
                  Well no shit. Looking more like expensive is turning more into just tedious. And yes, I was questioning the possibility of a gap where vinyl once was. Just drops back in you say?

Comment

Do you have pictures I can drool over?

Edit: Found out you have 2 pics. Now I require more. Especially of your slicktop area. The curiosity eats away at me inside.
                    Kinda hard to do stuff with an I phone but if you do a search for slicktop towncar you can go through and find my the black project begins thread there is a more extensive pictures of my work that I've done to my car actually everything on the car Fixits,modifications,paint,body work and exhuast where all done by me it's been quite a task but I love the thing even though there are days I ve wanted to scrap it
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Non-coachroof vinyl Ford/Merc cars seem to all use trim that's identical to or interchangable with slicktop cars. Though, my vinyl-topped '81 two-door has that weird textured rear window trim instead of the usual bright stuff. At least it has bright trim around the quarter windows, so that'll work great if I ever de-vinyl it, and bright rear window trim should be comparatively easy to get hold of.

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                      there are days I ve wanted to scrap it
                      Sounds completely normal for a Ford product.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

Sounds completely normal for a Ford product.

Only when you have a rusted-out old junker, then yes perfectly normal.

Comment

Hey! I resemble that remark.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Just fair warning, the stuff that lives under the vinyl and trim on a Lincoln is not what you will find on a Ford or Mercury. Lincolns never sold without vinyl, so they didn't concern themselves with making the roof look decent without it. Fords did sell without vinyl, so the roof was made so that it could be finished and trimmed relatively easily. The Mercury is the same, if for no better reason than it uses the same sheetmetal. Lincoln sheetmetal is different.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X