Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's my story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's my story...

Good day everyone,

So, about 6 months ago, I was driving back from a fishing trip with my brother and my 3 year old daughter, when I heard a funny noise from the 4 cylinder engine of my 1992 Plymouth Acclaim. Got home and searched the engine for signs of trouble. The oil was dry. Bone dry. not a drop. Never had leaked before, but I had gotten an oil change, and system cleaning a week prior, and had driven it sparingly. I filled it back up, but the damage was done. The sound got worse, when it developed into a tick, then a tap. Then... a knock. it was 2000rpm away from tossing a rod. I pulled it off the street and put it up for sale for $250... after I had put $1800 into it 10 months earlier.

I frantically searched for a vehicle. I work in town, and live just outside in the county. It's not too far. 9km to my workplace. I am not a rich man, and mistakes in my youth make me less than ideal for loans. I have been living on cash for 7 years, with no debt whatsoever, and I intend to keep it that way. So my budget was low. And when I say low, I mean 3 digit, under $600. $600 woulda been pushing it too.

I walked to worked for a week, searching every day. Until I found out about a park and sell in a town about 35km away. They had a 1986 Grand Marquis LS for $400. I jumped at the chance, got off work early, and had a friend of mine drive me up there to get it. Paid cash, and I was on my way.

She's 2 door, white, with blue interior and crack riddled blue vinyl top. The passenger door has been smashed in, the lock works from the inside only, but the key hole light still works, even though there is no mechanism behind it. It's also missing the gas flap.

Whatever, take it down the street, put $20 of gas in and off I got back home. Radio works, AC works, windows work, everything is better than expected. She handles like a bowl of jello.

Fast forward one week. Going to pick up a drunk buddy for some festivities when the check engine light pops on. The car veers to the right every time I try to stop. Oh shit, what do I do?
    I limp home in the car, heater on max, trying to cool the engine. It was a hot tense ride, using the brakes as little as possible. The caliper had seized. So I went out and acquired new rotors, new pads, new calipers, new bearings, and a crap tonne of brake fluid. The repair was simple enough, but I could only bleed 3 outta 4 tires, since one bleeder valve was as round as the moon in the back. But still! Brand new brake system in the front, it felt good to stop again.
    Fast forward another 2 weeks. The engine light returns. I'm low on coolant. Wtf? I just filled it up. Fill it up again and go on my merry way. Make a pit stop, pop the hood... Small drip drip drip. I touch the rad cap... cool... I pop it open. Fluid waaaay down there eh? I top it up, and I start the car. Freakin' green water cannon out the front of my car. I have a leak I guess. On top of that, using the heat causes my windows to fog over. heater core is joining the party. Let's ALL start spewing our guts.

So... I go out and acquire a new radiator, new upper, lower, and heater hoses. I get a new heater core, new clamps, new fluids. I pull the plenum, I pull the rad... they are rotten. You can put a finger through the fins. Felt like crunchy wet wheat biscuits.

Power steering goes on me, replaced the hose. Then the brake light starts turning on, no pressure in the brakes! So I go out and acquire new drums, new shoes, new springs, new wheel cylinders, new master cylinder, bleed the whole system, again. Sweet, new cooling system, new brake system.

... Fast forward to a week ago. Charging system light turns on after driving ten minutes. Oh shit. Run the car to try and charge it up (oooold battery). Stop the car, try to start again, it's dead. Shit. 2 hours later, what the hell, give it a shot, starts, blammo, no problem. Rinse and repeat for several days until today. Got out of the bank, and not so much as a pitiful "whiiiRRR" from the starter slowing rolling over. Just obnoxious clicks.

Bought a new battery for it 2 days ago. Alternator is putting out 14.1V, ground wire looks like it's made of spinach it's so green. I want to try replacing that before I really try to replace the starter. Why is the block ground in an impossible to reach area? Is there any where else on the block I can run a better ground that's easier to access?

I ran new 4awg cable to the starter, but found the mounting bolts on the motor are rounded off. How can I get them out of that tight space? And what the hell size are they supposed to be?

Also, working under the car, outside, in 2 feet of snow, for the first time... if only for a second... I thought of towing it to a shop. But hot damn I'm so close to fixing this too. I need some vast panther hive mind action to tell me what kind of bolts made it out of hell and into my starter mounts, and where a good tapped hole on the block is that isn't behind the fan or through an exhaust manifold.

I just want my old crap wagon to start again. Oh yeah... on the lighter side. She's a 351W with 316000km on her. The engine still purrs and even with the crap battery and ground, until 2 weeks ago, she started in -20C better than in +5C, she is Canadian through and through. I have already taken this car hunting with my brother. It was harrowing, and pretty stupid. A land yacht is no vehicle for a quad path, let me tell you...

Long winded I know, but this is just the tip of the iceberg with this beast. I've got electrical gremlins coming out the rear.... I'll save that for a post after I get the thing to start again.

My name is Chad, pleased to meet you all!

Hello and welcome Chad
    sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Kick off your shoes and enjoy the ride !

Comment

Man, it sounds like you have had some bad luck. Not sure what I can do to help you from here, I'm not sure about the grounds.

Where in Canada are you located? We've got people in a few provinces including myself who may be willing/able to come and help you out in person.

If it makes you feel any better, when it's all said and done you will have a fairly unique and desireable specimen. 2 door is rare, 351w is Canada only among grand marquis made after 1981 or so.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          Man, it sounds like you have had some bad luck. Not sure what I can do to help you from here, I'm not sure about the grounds.

Where in Canada are you located? We've got people in a few provinces including myself who may be willing/able to come and help you out in person.

If it makes you feel any better, when it's all said and done you will have a fairly unique and desireable specimen. 2 door is rare, 351w is Canada only among grand marquis made after 1981 or so.

Bad luck... maybe. Total with purchase price I am still under $2000, not including gas in this monster.

I love this car though. I've gotten more tools as a result of this car than any other thing.

I'm in Central alberta. A short jaunt from the larger cities... in a working car.

I have been learning more about the glories of the 351W recently. I think it's why my car has lasted the abuse it's gotten. She just needs some love.

Know where I can find a replacement passenger door? Or a cheap ass welder so I can start band aiding her wounds? But i digress. I'll try to start another thread elsewhere with my shopping list of 'what the fu-' repairs that need to be done.

Comment

Unfortunately, the doors are the most significant part of the 2dr that are unique. You may get lucky on craigslist or kijiji, but they aren't reproduced, and with production as little as 1/10th of the sedan numbers in the later years, 2dr specific parts are few and far between, at least at a reasonable price.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Like johnunit said, 2 Door specific parts, like the doors, are becoming incredibly hard to find in good condition.

Good luck to you with the restoration!

Comment

Its an old car that sounds like its lived a typical and not excessively well cared for life. Can't say anything you've experienced is unusual. Thats one of the big pitfalls of starting with a 25 year old car that hasnt been used in a while, all the crap that will normally break over time will all seem to fail at the same time. On the upside, once you replace all that junk, you're pretty much good to go for a while. It sounds like you're mechanically inclined and not afraid to fix things when they break, so you should be OK. The folks that can't/wont fix or have things fixed are on the short end of the stick when it comes to an old car.

Block ground is easier to get at from underneath I find. You can attach the cable anywhere, just make sure its clean. Not sure of anyplace thats really better off the top of my head though.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow.
                  Welcome to the party!!

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Definitely get to the block ground from underneath. For rounded off bolts...heat and vice grips.

Glad you haven't given up on her. Most people expect the world for a $400 car. Nice to see you realized it will all even out in the end on price. I spent two years looking for a p.side door for my Crown Vic. Hopefully you have better luck then I had.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Howdy! Bummer about the trouble, but not bad for $400. 'Bowl of jello' lol!

On the starter, I couldn't get my top bolt out, I used a recip saw and cut the ear off the starter. Plenty of bolt working room with the starter out.

Pete
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

with the doors being rare, im not sure if i want to sell my other set from my old coupe lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Welcome! That was an epic intro
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Starter is still in there. No daylight after work, and today, it's snowing pretty hard. Car is still up on jacks, turning into a snow drift.

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                            Howdy! Bummer about the trouble, but not bad for $400. 'Bowl of jello' lol!

On the starter, I couldn't get my top bolt out, I used a recip saw and cut the ear off the starter. Plenty of bolt working room with the starter out.

Pete

This is the best I idea I have heard so far. I don't have a reciprocating saw, but I'm sure I can find something good enough when I get pissed off enough at it.

Comment

The unthinkable. I actually broke down and took her into a shop. Gave the shop a whole pile of parts, told them to fix it with what I have provided and told 'em to keep it under $300. We'll see what can be done. Mechanic seemed genuinely intrigued by the symptoms. Last I heard the battery needed charging... damned alternator... again. Either way, we'll see what he says tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X