Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's my story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome! It sounds like the car found a good home...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

The stock alternator is a flaming pile of crap. Literally. They catch on fire. would not be remotely surprised if the alternator is a dud and the harness is smoked.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The stock alternator is a flaming pile of crap. Literally. They catch on fire. would not be remotely surprised if the alternator is a dud and the harness is smoked.
        They better light on fire, 'cause if that's the problem, I'm gonna burn that bitch. I've been having to borrow the wife's car. It's a 2005 jeep with peppy response and rock solid brakes... i hate it. I miss my jello car.

Comment

I must have been really lucky as my 89 MGM was on the original alternator up over 100K (I had Instaclear so maybe I had a larger unit?) and my 89 LTC was 16 years old on the original alt and was fine (only had about 77K on it) when I sold it.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Ah yes, the old 2G. I must be one of the few who haven't had serious issues with one. Good thing swapping to a 3G is super-easy.

Starter bolts should be SAE, stock should take a 1/2" socket, but I've also used bolts with a 9/16" head when it was what I could find. Wobble extension on the end of three to six other extensions seems to be the ticket to getting at the upper bolt easily, especially once the head starts to round off a little (and they're not very tall either for some dumb reason). Pretty sure that upper bolt goes into a through hole in the bellhousing, meaning putting PB Blaster on it from behind would be an option, but hopefully that's now a moot point!
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Ah yes, the old 2G. I must be one of the few who haven't had serious issues with one. Good thing swapping to a 3G is super-easy.

Starter bolts should be SAE, stock should take a 1/2" socket, but I've also used bolts with a 9/16" head when it was what I could find. Wobble extension on the end of three to six other extensions seems to be the ticket to getting at the upper bolt easily, especially once the head starts to round off a little (and they're not very tall either for some dumb reason). Pretty sure that upper bolt goes into a through hole in the bellhousing, meaning putting PB Blaster on it from behind would be an option, but hopefully that's now a moot point!
              It is moot now, yes. It was a bad alternator.

Alternator was putting out 14V, BUT, the diodes had popped, so every time I shut down the car, the battery would drain a bit more. Mechanic found me a rebuilt one for $20 less than what I had found. He ran me a new ground to the block and install the new alternator, and charged the battery. She starts faster than I ever thought possible now. Mechanic cut me a deal since he went slightly over my budget, so he knocked off $40. In the end it was $300 on the nose, with only $140 of that going to labour and troubleshooting. Not bad since it took him a few hours.
              On a side note, he is confident he can get the bolts out for me "if the starter motor ever goes on you, 'cause it seems strong". He quoted me on a few other things I need done, and he's still coming in way under Canadian Tire (which has the cheapest per hour rate in town, but they have drunk fucking monkeys hammering away at your car). I think I found my new 'guy'.

Now on Friday comes the new winter tires, since I can slide 15 feet stopping at 5km/h...

Edit: Also, he loved the car. Says he doesn't get to see many old ones nowadays. He recalled a fond story of a marauder in his past, and his vile hatred for smart cars. I like him.
              Last edited by Neohippy; 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

that's the ticket! a guy willing to dig out the cheapest good parts, and hunt for the hard-to find ones, and a guy who likes the car. Glad to hear it worked out.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                  I must have been really lucky as my 89 MGM was on the original alternator up over 100K (I had Instaclear so maybe I had a larger unit?) and my 89 LTC was 16 years old on the original alt and was fine (only had about 77K on it) when I sold it.
                  you had the 100 amp alternator without the stupid rubber plug that causes all of the problems. Yours had a regular old ring terminal that went on a stud on the back of the alternator. The 65 amp is underpowered for one, but the bigger problem is the output connector. Its basically two flat push-on type connectors like are found on speakers, molded into this rubber plug and feeding to the battery via a pair of 10 gauge wires that go through a smallish fuse link. The rubber ages, the connctions get loose, and the whole thing generates so much heat that it catches the wiring on fire. Replacement 2g alternators actually come with a new plug that you have to install in order for them to honor the warranty. The 3g upgrade is popular because not only do you get double the output power, it eliminates the fire hazard. win-win in my book.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you had the 100 amp alternator without the stupid rubber plug that causes all of the problems. Yours had a regular old ring terminal that went on a stud on the back of the alternator. The 65 amp is underpowered for one, but the bigger problem is the output connector. Its basically two flat push-on type connectors like are found on speakers, molded into this rubber plug and feeding to the battery via a pair of 10 gauge wires that go through a smallish fuse link. The rubber ages, the connctions get loose, and the whole thing generates so much heat that it catches the wiring on fire. Replacement 2g alternators actually come with a new plug that you have to install in order for them to honor the warranty. The 3g upgrade is popular because not only do you get double the output power, it eliminates the fire hazard. win-win in my book.
                    I had those cars long before GMN, and believe me I could certainly tell the on the LTC that it could have used more power. If I still had the car, it would have 3G already that is for sure.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you're having fun already. :p

When do we get pics?

sigpic
                      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post

When do we get pics?
                        "Fun" is right. Learned more in four months with this car than I have with my '78 van in 4 years.

Come to think of it, I have no pictures of this car yet. I'll see what I can do about finding some daylight in the next few days to snap a pic or two of the old rust bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post

When do we get pics?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1268201Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1268202Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1268203Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1268204Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1853.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1268205Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1268206Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1856.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1268207Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1857.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1268208

Pics!

Comment

Any rust holes in the rear bumper?
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                              Any rust holes in the rear bumper?
                              Nope. Seems only trace amounts of surface rust on the chrome, if any, on this car. In fact, the ONLY thing rusting on this car is the panels. Everything else looks like it's only a few years old.

Comment

imagine having to work on like 30 of them lol

welcome to gmn.....i been pretty busy

old stuff needs new parts to be reliable

having owned a dodge spirit tho i would have dropped a motor in it lol........ex gf got over 300,000 out of my 91 es after we split up and i gave her the car......best 200 bucks i ever spent lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                                X