Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's my story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my wagon was sorta the same way. i got it shipped here from alberta. the underside is mint, including the frame. only had a slight rust issue behind the rear tires on the outside quarters(got that fixed 2 years ago). you guys dont use salt right?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      my wagon was sorta the same way. i got it shipped here from alberta. the underside is mint, including the frame. only had a slight rust issue behind the rear tires on the outside quarters(got that fixed 2 years ago). you guys dont use salt right?
      Nope. No salt in Alberta, just gravel. Mine used to be a farm owners car. Still have the original bill of sale and everything, she was the dealership's demo model in '86. Car came with a trunk filled with grain, and the inside of the car filled with hay. I assume the majority of my rust issue is from gravel road travel, especially based on the state of the windshield. Dents and dings that were never covered up.

I priced out panels from ford... yeesh. I could build a garage to do it myself in for cheaper than buying new ones. Need to find a guy who works for beer.

Comment

if you can find them, they are good lol. one thing to do though(when it gets warmer) is to remove the carpet and make sure you dont have rust on the floor. other than that, looks like you just need a door and front fenders. and of course, remove the vinyl top. also, i wish more places used just gravel, than that nasty salt. they are now using more of that liquid death(brine) here.

Comment

Replace the vinyl top if needed. Only the cheapass models didn't come with vinyl tops. Don't wanna look like you have a poverty car do you?

-- the only guy on here who actually likes vinyl.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like it... I just don't like replacing it or sitting on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              I like it... I just don't like replacing it or sitting on it.
              what he said!

Comment

Speaking of which, can I remove the vinyl? Meaning, is the roof flush with no seam? Or is that vinyl necessary for keeping it level looking?

Comment

theres a big unfinished seam between the small window and the rear glass that has to be filled in. Theres also a line of holes across the roof for the belt. If yours has the coach roof with the fiberglass shell on the back, then that also has to be dealt with. if you have no metal trim around the rear glass, and the vinyl tucks in, its got the shell.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    theres a big unfinished seam between the small window and the rear glass that has to be filled in. Theres also a line of holes across the roof for the belt. If yours has the coach roof with the fiberglass shell on the back, then that also has to be dealt with. if you have no metal trim around the rear glass, and the vinyl tucks in, its got the shell.
                    Long story short: Shit.

Anyone know a guy who can redo a vinyl roof in central Alberta? For a fair exchange? I hear them that Americans can git'erdun for only $100-200, is this true? Only thing I can find here is $500, which is more than I paid for the car, and a complete vanity purchase, with no functional use. So it's hard to justify.

But I want a new one oh so bad.

Comment

500 is more realistic.

If it helps, it's not a totaly vanity purchase as a severely damage vinyl top will eventually rust undernearth.

It's a LONGGG job, but it can be done at home.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                        500 is more realistic.

If it helps, it's not a totaly vanity purchase as a severely damage vinyl top will eventually rust undernearth.

It's a LONGGG job, but it can be done at home.
                        You intrigue me with your words. Please, tell me more! (about the diy home jobby)

Comment

there's a thread around here somewhere about it.

It is a ROYAL PAIN though. LOTS of labor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Basically you buy a sheet of vinyl big enough, and usually a special underpadding of foam, and rip the old stuff off and put the new stuff on.

The problem is that the old stuff is REALLY REALLY glue on, and basically needs to be scraped off. like Slymer says there's a thread around here somewhere.

Oh and you'll have to remove the trim, which involves taking the headliner out, and the b-pillar interior panels out, basically taking everything above seat level other than the dash out of the car for access to the back of all the moldings/trim.

It's not particularly skilled work, the main skill is in getting the vinyl to sit right with no wrinkles, but that's mostly taking your time. It's just epically time consuming and physically difficult. Picture that gunk left on books and stuff when you take off the stick wrong, but tougher, a quarter inch thick and covering every square inch of the vinyl area, and you have to get it all off completely and not put huge dents in the roof AND seal it so it won't leak again.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                              Basically you buy a sheet of vinyl big enough, and usually a special underpadding of foam, and rip the old stuff off and put the new stuff on.

The problem is that the old stuff is REALLY REALLY glue on, and basically needs to be scraped off. like Slymer says there's a thread around here somewhere.

Oh and you'll have to remove the trim, which involves taking the headliner out, and the b-pillar interior panels out, basically taking everything above seat level other than the dash out of the car for access to the back of all the moldings/trim.

It's not particularly skilled work, the main skill is in getting the vinyl to sit right with no wrinkles, but that's mostly taking your time. It's just epically time consuming and physically difficult. Picture that gunk left on books and stuff when you take off the stick wrong, but tougher, a quarter inch thick and covering every square inch of the vinyl area, and you have to get it all off completely and not put huge dents in the roof AND seal it so it won't leak again.

Now, all the crap work aside... Does it have to be vinyl only for longevity? Not that I'm going to go out and do this (based on the glue reference. I deal with shit quite similar to what was described). But, what would be the disadvantage of oilskin, other than the increased maintenance of greasing and dying? I only ask out of curiosity, and the fact that I like the looks of oilskin over vinyl.

Comment

I think longevity would be a big thing. Keep in mind that any shrinking or stretching becomes a problem quickly when stapled/glued to a rigid structure and exposed to direct sunlight, rain, snow, etc. There were "cloth" tops offered, but how close they could look to oil skin and what the actual product name for said cloth is, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X