Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's my story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
    I think longevity would be a big thing. Keep in mind that any shrinking or stretching becomes a problem quickly when stapled/glued to a rigid structure and exposed to direct sunlight, rain, snow, etc. There were "cloth" tops offered, but how close they could look to oil skin and what the actual product name for said cloth is, I don't know.
    So either way, it sounds like it would be cheaper for me to blast the top with a tinted fibreglass epoxy resin, and sand it down until it looks normal. Normal... easier... those terms are so close it's scary.

Comment

dont forget, the rear quarter windows will have to be removed to take off that aluminum trim piece. the trim is held in by metal tabs that fold around the window frame. then the glass is sealed into place over the tabs. real pita. also, its all prefference. you have the option to go with a vinyl top, or no top. i left my coupe vinyless for cool factor and it was cheaper lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        dont forget, the rear quarter windows will have to be removed to take off that aluminum trim piece. the trim is held in by metal tabs that fold around the window frame. then the glass is sealed into place over the tabs. real pita. also, its all prefference. you have the option to go with a vinyl top, or no top. i left my coupe vinyless for cool factor and it was cheaper lol.

Holy crap. Build a tank, then put a fancy 'gotta have' trim on top that ages like a 3 pack a day dirt farmer in a desert. I see how they get ya.

So how many people have figured out how to cut a Grand Marquis LS into a Ranchero/El Camino hybrid? Problem cloth top?

Comment

But seriously... What kind of shop even does this crap? Upholstery shops? I don't see many vinyl tops nowadays. Can't imagine most body shop's 17 year old 'experts' have done many of 'em.

Comment

yeah... upholstry shops around here do the vinyl top. They do NOT do the removal. They have a collision center (body shop) do the removal and as such, do not guarantee that any of the trim parts will remain intact.

Also, there's that bit about having to remove the headliner to get to the nuts that hold the belt trim on the roof.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Fun, sounds like yet another case of you'd-better-do-half-the-work-yourself-or-else-your-junk-will-get-messed-up-oh-and-it's-the-hardest-part-of-the-work-too!
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Oh fucking joy. What kind of abomination is it to just cover the whole damned thing in fiberglass resin, then sand to fit, and paint accordingly. Not that I like shortcuts, I'm just really cheap.

Comment

then you prolly are better off to remove the vinyl and do the little bodywork yourself and then paint.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

slicktop FTW

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                      then you prolly are better off to remove the vinyl and do the little bodywork yourself and then paint.
                      Damn your logic. The fear of the unknown underneath the vinyl scares me. This is my daily driver, and I foresee a horrible atrocity hidden under that vinyl. Call me a pessimist, but hot damn, you never know.

I wanted band aid, you tell me it's a stitch situation. I know you're right, but.... maybe cracks make it look 'old school' right?... Yeah I got nothin'. Either way, I guess I will come back here with an "Oh my gods! There's a 2 foot hole in my roof under the vinyl, whatdoIdo?!?!" and I'll likely get a reasonable and simplified answer. However...

The vinyl project will have to wait, sadly. She may not be purdy, but she'll do until I can fill in the primary rust holes. It's like driving a parachute with all those gaps in the fenders... Priorities... suck. The only leaks are from the seal on the rear window, and the busted ass passenger door. So rust repair and fuel economy comes first. I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        slicktop FTW
                        What in sweet hell is a slick top, and why do I find it strangely R rated?

Comment

From the photos it does not appear the roof is your biggest issue. Go after the issues by priority - like having it run well and safe. Looks can maybe come later! Perhaps you can get by with some sort of vinyl repair/filler and vinyl paint. Wouldn't want to do it during a Canadian winter, however...maybe a spring project if and when the other issues are done.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I agree that for now you should just let the vinyl go. Get the rest of the car running like a top (pun intended) before you get into such tedious tasks.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Slicktop refers to vynil removal, two doors I think look best as a slick top but then again I went against the grain and have the only slicktop towncar on gmn or just about anywhere for that matter . It not to awful to do but it can be a chore getting the glue off the best way is to use medium paint reducer . I would find a hotrod upholstry shop if you want it recovered. But as others have said get the car up and running well before tackling outer appearance
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

You have got to set your priorities right for the car if you want to succeed, as you have alot of work ahead of you with this car, anyway that you slice it up. I would start by getting the car 100% reliable as a driver, before focusing on anything related to "looks".

Comment

Working...
                                X