Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio solutions for 1999 Lincoln Town Car with Alpine stereo

Hello all,

To complement my 89 Grand Marquis, I recently obtained a 99 Lincoln Town car.

I updated my grand marquis radio to Pioneer MVH-8200 - a great radio with great AM/FM reception, and SD card slot for mp3 storage, and most importantly it does not look too trashy and out of place. My Town Car came with Alpine radio and I was wondering whether y'all have any suggestions of what to do. Ipod with FM transmitter seems to give rather suboptimal result. Is there a way to wire in an aux cable connection into the existing stereo system, either through the CD changer or the head unit? Thanks!
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

What model of Alpine unit is it? (i.e. "CDA-7894"). Is it an aftermarket unit hooked up to a stock CD changer?

Look on the back of the head unit...what AUX plugs are back there? Some times they make AUX cables with an iPod jack or just one with a headphone jack.

Those FM transmitters are garbage. Doesn't matter whether it's a $10 one or an $80 one....
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I myself have an all alpine system if you want to you should be able to get an aux moduale but you can also just buy a newone at bestbuy fir 140 bucks or so with a front face aux jack
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I think he is talking about the factory Alpine stereo.

OP, give Crutchfield a call and sell if they have an Ipod integration kit for your car. I would be willing to bet they do and it will plug into the port where the CD changer does.

Edit, check this out. http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=45
        Last edited by tjc78; 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thanks for your responses. Yes, I was indeed referring to the stock Alpine stereo system.

I'll look at the ipod integration kit, as it may be an easier and more cosmetically appealing solution than replacing the whole unit. Due to stock unit's unconventional size, any aftermarket stereo will be either too small or too big!

Comment

Okay, I did some more digging. One of the options is hooking up this device - it would basically replace the CD changer into an ipod adapter plug. Any experience with this?

Pros would be a remaining factory stereo, remaining steering wheel controls. Cons? I'm not sure the audio quality coming out of the stock unit is all that great...

Comment

I had the Toyota version of that item in my 06 Avalon. It worked perfect, and sounded as good as any other source. If loosing the CD changer isn't a big deal I would go for it.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Losing CD changed is not a big deal, but I'm overall not very impressed with the sound quality of the main alpine unit. The sound quality of my 89 marquis with stock speakers (it says premium sound on them, whatever that means) sounds better I must say...

Comment

Like I said before and yes I understood that the unit was stock and most alpines have an adaptor plug that you can buy for aux input

Reason I suggested the aftermarket one is that it has a front aux USB port built in and with a din kit it would fit in quite nicely and as the price is maybe 40bucks more that would be the easiest solution and should have some nice sound to it as well
                  Last edited by zoomie; 12-08-2011, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Try this site best one I've found so far http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-499-1...al-radios.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                      Try this site best one I've found so far http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-499-1...al-radios.aspx
                      Anything cheaper? That one is $255! Could you send over a link for a cheaper aux adaptor? I don't own and iPod, so I would rather have a simple aux plug.

Comment

I would recommend just buying a alpine unit with the aux port already built in plus it should help you adjust the sound alot better they have not only adjustable bass and treble settings but frequency settings as well it would be something worth looking into the CDe-102 through 122 series are relatively cheap and have a USB aux port in the front

Comment

Working...
                        X