No announcement yet.

Quick question about wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I apologize if I seemed edgy I am a man and do admit when I eff up sorry that I read your reply as sarcasm guess maybe the homelife is Twigging me out some I'll admit lol but no harm done . Yup factory rims can be had and made to look good and the hpp is nice a good set of aftermarkets in my opinion will give you more options I'd say 18 is about the max I'd go rim size there are some nice aftermarket 15s out there such as mine for instance but you can also change the sidewalk just by going down in height size ther is much diff form a 75 series than a 60 series you can even go with. 50 or the ludacris 45 series which look like big rubber band basically something like 2 inches high. Or so but if your going to spend money I'd want to figure out what you want your car to do such as flashy,fast,corner,sound good sky is the limit like my car for instance is themed on a black bomber stealth fighter and a drag racer we have a member here who is themed from a panzer tank just whatever you decid to do I can't wait to see!
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
      yeah sidewall is important. If you're running 70-75 aspect ratio sidewalls, push the car side to side at one of the bumpers sometime, and watch the tires. They'll pretty easily flex a half inch or more, and that same flex is in play (but even more) in cornering. It does a lot to dull cornering "feel" and reduce grip at extreme cornering speeds/loads. It does have the effect of a smoother ride over smaller imperfections, but the general trend among new cars is that the tradeoff is a good one and less sidewall is overall positive, though some of that IS vanity.
      I like 15" wheels because I hardly ever try to push this two ton boat around corners like a Miata, plus the fact that I like the look of bigger tires like the old muscle cars, and 15" tires are cheap compared to 16's, and I need all the help I can get when it comes to price.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Neohippy View Post
        No shit. Vanity = performance? Or do rims affect something my novice brain can't compute?

Is there an offset to these things I should be aware of? I would love to walk into the local big box like a boss, point out some generic steelies with the right bolt pattern, and have an under paid/appreciated grunt carry them to my (old but awesome) car. The current steel wheels I have are cracking around the hub and mounting holes. Old sad steel.

I googled the crap out of HPP before I thought; "Duh, ask the experts."
        In full, its 'Handling and Performance Package', a named option set on your brand new CV/GM order form. Depending on year, it got you the wheels you see, air suspension, bigger sway bars, and dual exhaust, maybe a different base gear set as well. Just a package that contained things you didn't, or couldn't get with another option package or as individual options.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          In full, its 'Handling and Performance Package', a named option set on your brand new CV/GM order form. Depending on year, it got you the wheels you see, air suspension, bigger sway bars, and dual exhaust, maybe a different base gear set as well. Just a package that contained things you didn't, or couldn't get with another option package or as individual options.

Alex.

3.27 base gears on all of the ones i've seen. got a HPP rear axle in the basement
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post

Alex.
            So dual exhaust was an option? My car has the dual, but none of the other features. I guess it could have at one point, but I doubt it, based on the records I found behind the glovebox.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
              I like 15" wheels because I hardly ever try to push this two ton boat around corners like a Miata, plus the fact that I like the look of bigger tires like the old muscle cars, and 15" tires are cheap compared to 16's, and I need all the help I can get when it comes to price.
              I like the way you think. I can do nothing but agree on the price issue.

Anyone know where to get sweet ass white walls in 15"?

Comment

Those 16" wheels appeared on 90s and later models with the HPP option. THere was no such animal in the 80s. The closest you could get was the tow package, which gave you dual exhaust, a transmission cooler, different gears, and some other misc items.

Unfortunately most whitewalls also happen to be crappy tires. Don't know why that is. Turbines look good with whitewall or raised white letter tires, but nobody seems to manufacture a tire in that style thats worth a damn. Thats actually another reason I like 16" tires. It handles better, and there are better tire options available. Unfortunately the thought of popping 500 bucks on a set of tires just bothers me, so I understand where you're coming from. My truck has been getting used good condition tires for low prices for the decade I've owned it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Those 16" wheels appeared on 90s and later models with the HPP option. THere was no such animal in the 80s. The closest you could get was the tow package, which gave you dual exhaust, a transmission cooler, different gears, and some other misc items.

Unfortunately most whitewalls also happen to be crappy tires. Don't know why that is. Turbines look good with whitewall or raised white letter tires, but nobody seems to manufacture a tire in that style thats worth a damn. Thats actually another reason I like 16" tires. It handles better, and there are better tire options available. Unfortunately the thought of popping 500 bucks on a set of tires just bothers me, so I understand where you're coming from. My truck has been getting used good condition tires for low prices for the decade I've owned it.

I was about to comment on the $500 for tires, but remembered I am in Canada. $500 is a holy hella stellar deal for tires here. Even walmart all seasons are hard to get for $500. Just got winter tires put on my beast because of a winter sale. Free blancing, free mobile installation (they did it in my work's parking lot while I worked), free enviro levy, and it was still over $650.

A new tire and rim package for summer will easily cost me over $1200 for the cheapest ones unless i go with steelies and nexen all season tires, even then it's still going to be $800+ and look/perform like pure garbage.

I envy American tire prices. I need a passport. Driving down for a tire job would be cheaper in gas than shipping is.

Edit: That sucks about white walls. Loved 'em ever since Back to the Future when I was younger.

Comment

i got 225/70/15s with white walls for the lincoln this summer. less than 500bucks too. hercules MX IVs or somethin like that. also, one of the only tires to come with road hazard too, so im told.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                      i got 225/70/15s with white walls for the lincoln this summer. less than 500bucks too. hercules MX IVs or somethin like that. also, one of the only tires to come with road hazard too, so im told.
                      Where?! Do they ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Neohippy View Post
                        wife and kid scenario keeps the car funds low.
                        Boy, isn't that the case around here. I have a Lincoln HandyMIG, but there's labor and supplies to be considered, and I'm lucky if I find time to do anything with cars at all! So my fenders, rockers, quarters, and trunk floor are just stuck rotting without any end in sight. Guys with no family and some surplus cash flow just don't get it.

A big +1 on '98-'02 wheels (I own two sets myself)
                        Last edited by 1987cp; 12-16-2011, 01:45 AM.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

lemme borrow the mig
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You're welcome to come down and use it in my garage. :-D I still haven't sprung for shielding gas, though, so it's flux-core-only at the moment.

I got it for just $300 from Sears.com three or so years ago ... I wonder if you have any comparable deals available to you ....
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I've got a crappy Harbor Freight Chicago Flux-Core welder, bought it for about $100 that came in handy back in high school building sport compact class dirt track cars. Gasless welds are tough to make look pretty but they hold if you do it right. My welding skills still suck though, need much more practice. That's what I do with old stock exhaust parts, I practice welding on them.
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                              X