Quick question about wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about wheels.

What other cars have compatible wheels with an '86 Grand Marquis?

Everywhere I go (on the internets), they are unavailable, or it's a sham company that you should avoid like the plague.

Seems most of the sites insist on searching by vehicle, not by bolt pattern or centre bore. So what other cars have the sames wheels as the 'ol '86 land yacht?

Not really ready to purchase... I just wanna shop. Spring is a good 6 months away yet, and if the old beast survives the winter... she is Canadian through and through, and deserving of a little treat.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...85-Wheel-specs

sticky at the top of the page^^^ lots of info there.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...85-Wheel-specs

sticky at the top of the page^^^ lots of info there.

Yeah, I saw that, but it does not include the Grand Marquis. Pardon my ignorance, but am I missing something in that sticky?

Comment

virtually everything outside of the interior and front and rear fascias crosses over between the LTD/Crown Victoria/full size ford of a given year and the Grand Marquis. I should have made that clear. This extends to the wheels, brakes, suspensions, etc. which are identical. If it fits a "full size ford" or Crown Victoria from 79-91, it will fit a 79-91 Grand Marquis when speaking of chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels, etc.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

virtually everything outside of the interior and front and rear fascias crosses over between the LTD/Crown Victoria/full size ford of a given year and the Grand Marquis. I should have made that clear. This extends to the wheels, brakes, suspensions, etc. which are identical. If it fits a "full size ford" or Crown Victoria from 79-91, it will fit a 79-91 Grand Marquis when speaking of chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels, etc.

AHA! Thank you very much. This bodes well for excursions into junk yards and farmer's fields. I already know a place with an earlier Vic with some pretty parts.

Appreciate the help... off to find some shiny stuff now!

Comment

I got my reproduction turbines at http://www.autopartsfair.com/

I got the centercaps on ebay.
            Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wait... why does tire rack not have inventory on rims for an '86 grand marquis, but they do for a '90... But they don't have any for the crown victoria in that range.... Are they on the crack?

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                I got my reproduction turbines at http://www.autopartsfair.com/

I got the centercaps on ebay.

OH SNAP! Those are real purdy. Very jealous. I have the wire wheels covers, but only one center cap. I've always like the machined look.

Comment

incomplete database. it's a common thing. Discount tire doesn't have anything for an 82 Mark VI either... but they have stuff for an 88 Grand Marquis all over the place. EXACT same hub, spindle, down to the bearings, everything. Just not in their system.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep,just to quickly go over it:

"panther" chassis cars that are very mechanically similar to your car are:

79-91 Grand Marquis (sometimes listed as Full size mercury)
                    79-91 Crown Victoria/LTD (sometimes listed as full size ford)
                    all years Lincoln Mark VIs ( NOT mark V's or Mark VIIs. These share some drivetrain bits but are totally different body, interior, and suspensionwise)
                    80-89 (note the shorter year range than GM's and CVs) Lincoln Town Cars.

The Town Cars are on longer wheelbases than all the others by something like 4-5 inches.

I forget if you have a coupe or sedan. Either way, doors don't transfer between sedans and coupes, but most other body parts (fenders, quarters, trunk, hood, etc.) do. Doors of the same body style (coupe vs. sedan) will transfer over between Crown Vics and Grand Marquis.

I forget how the hood interchange goes, and how the relatively rare Town Coupes (Town Car front end on a two door) fit in.

Comment

yep,just to quickly go over it:

"panther" chassis cars that are very mechanically similar to your car are:

79-91 Grand Marquis (sometimes listed as Full size mercury)
                      79-91 Crown Victoria/LTD (sometimes listed as full size ford)
                      all years Lincoln Mark VIs ( NOT mark V's or Mark VIIs. These share some drivetrain bits but are totally different body, interior, and suspensionwise)
                      80-89 (note the shorter year range than GM's and CVs) Lincoln Town Cars.

The Town Cars are on longer wheelbases than all the others by something like 4-5 inches.

I forget if you have a coupe or sedan. Either way, doors don't transfer between sedans and coupes, but most other body parts (fenders, quarters, trunk, hood, etc.) do. Doors of the same body style (coupe vs. sedan) will transfer over between Crown Vics and Grand Marquis.

I forget how the hood interchange goes, and how the relatively rare Town Coupes (Town Car front end on a two door) fit in.

Well iff'n this place ain't the holy grail of crap google could never provide.

I do have the coupe, and I am curious about the front end left and right fenders. Both are rusty. Driver's side looks like the chrome trim is going to come off one day soon. No access to welder as of yet, wife and kid scenario keeps the car funds low. So I either find a wicked 'does it for fun' body guy in my area, or I find replacements and try to figure out how to do it.

Comment

The fenders of any Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis from... damn I'm blanking on whether 88-91 (different front end appearance) fit, but absolutely from 79-87 front fenders from either car will fit. Your only issue will be that some had "ditch lights" in them, and will of course have a hole if you remove them, and some didn't. The trim can also be different heights. Putting in a ditch light to match the other side would be easier than covering up a ditch light hole if you don't have them on your car. Of course getting a pair of fenders both from one car would be even easier.

Comment

The 16" steelies off a 98-02 whale panthers are pretty popular, if you want to buy new tires. They look slick with the CVPI center caps too.
                          If not, there are some nice 15" wheels that came on 90's panthers too, but Im partial to the 80's turbines myself.
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Damn! Can't find the sweet ass turbines. Been looking, but hot damn, they are hard to come by. One guy had 'em advertised... on his site that had not been updated since 2004. Disappointing to say the least.

Comment

Trust me, in this day and age, you want at least a 16" rim.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X