Quick question about wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    Trust me, in this day and age, you want at least a 16" rim.
    Continue... with example... I am curious.

Comment

HPP's, or really any 16" rim on a panther up till 02. There's tons of choices. I'll never buy a 15" rim again.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

HPP's, or really any 16" rim on a panther up till 02. There's tons of choices. I'll never buy a 15" rim again.
        This I must check out.

So jealous of your wagon. Like a truck and a car had sex, and produced an unflippable SUV. Reminds me of Harry and the Hendersons. I love my yacht, but I wish I could haul lumber with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neohippy View Post
          This I must check out.

So jealous of your wagon. Like a truck and a car had sex, and produced an unflippable SUV. Reminds me of Harry and the Hendersons. I love my yacht, but I wish I could haul lumber with it.
          Ya, best winter beater is best.

As for rims, nothing beats HPP's. Especially if you spend a little time on them.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Ya, best winter beater is best.

As for rims, nothing beats HPP's. Especially if you spend a little time on them.

They are purdy. But what exactly does HPP stand for?

Comment

Hpp is the designation for handling and performance
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                Hpp is the designation for handling and performance
                No shit. Vanity = performance? Or do rims affect something my novice brain can't compute?

Is there an offset to these things I should be aware of? I would love to walk into the local big box like a boss, point out some generic steelies with the right bolt pattern, and have an under paid/appreciated grunt carry them to my (old but awesome) car. The current steel wheels I have are cracking around the hub and mounting holes. Old sad steel.

I googled the crap out of HPP before I thought; "Duh, ask the experts."

Acronyms are my Achilles heel.

Comment

No shit. Vanity = performance? Or do rims affect something my novice brain can't compute?

Is there an offset to these things I should be aware of? I would love to walk into the local big box like a boss, point out some generic steelies with the right bolt pattern, and have an under paid/appreciated grunt carry them to my (old but awesome) car. The current steel wheels I have are cracking around the hub and mounting holes. Old sad steel.

the 16" HPP wheels allow you to run a tire with a shorter sidewall which tends to give better performance since you have less sidewall to flex compared to a 15"
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Sure those aren't just the stamping marks? All the ones I've seen look similar to that.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Before running off at the mouth perhaps you should ask a more specific question like what's the scoop on hpp rims or something like that not and I quote what does hpp stand for. Mind you I'm not a big fan of stock rims but that's me . But then again I'm sure I've done plenty of things to my linc to be sacrilege but that's not the point. Just refine your question next time if you could it helps to give you an answer your looking for thanks.
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

He said " no shit" as in " I did not know", in a quizical voice, not smart ass sarcasim. Sometimes its hard to express your voice through text.
                        He's obviously new and willing to learn.
                        Calm down homeslice.

-ryan s.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                          He said " no shit" as in " I did not know", in a quizical voice, not smart ass sarcasim. Sometimes its hard to express your voice through text.
                          He's obviously new and willing to learn.
                          Calm down homeslice.

-ryan s.

-ryan s.

Nail on the head. Thanks!

Just genuinely curious, not trying to ruffle feathers. I figure there's a reason people suggest the things they do, but that is not always immediately apparent to me. Thus, I ask plenty of seemingly pointless questions.

Comment

yeah sidewall is important. If you're running 70-75 aspect ratio sidewalls, push the car side to side at one of the bumpers sometime, and watch the tires. They'll pretty easily flex a half inch or more, and that same flex is in play (but even more) in cornering. It does a lot to dull cornering "feel" and reduce grip at extreme cornering speeds/loads. It does have the effect of a smoother ride over smaller imperfections, but the general trend among new cars is that the tradeoff is a good one and less sidewall is overall positive, though some of that IS vanity.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Well, a lighter wheel has less rotational mass making it more effective.

-ryan s.
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Jeebus, I do love this forum. Learns me faster than 45 million results in 0.06 seconds. But now I wanna spend more money on my car... maybe this is a curse in disguise.

Comment

Working...
                                X