Best Air Filter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Air Filter??

Just curious to gauge everyone's experience in this matter. Have a 1995 GM (stock) and was wondering your thoughts as to the best air filter. Please explain any variables you use to determine the response (filtering capacity, air flow/performance, etc...). Trying to keep the car stock so not sure I'd consider Cold Air Induction or ones of that sort. K&N? WIX?....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

i use stp filters and change them regularly

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
      i use stp filters and change them regularly
      I did this before I put the stage one intakes on stuff. (cone filters) I'm lazy, so being able to leave a filter be for 15K or 30K miles is a good thing in my book.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nothing wrong with paper, but definitely look into whether the budget-priced gauze filters from brands like Spectre or Summit come in the size you need. K&N most likely does, but they're ... very proud of their product.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I use paper filters. They are better filtering than a foam or gauze, and in my setup (not 100% sure about efi panthers) it's not a significant restriction.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

you don't notice any difference with the higher flow stuff until you get over about 4K rpm. The Vic was definitely happier with it. it pulled better for the top third of the curve (just in drive, not even manual shifting). The 88... it just barely got better right around the top of it's lopo band. The Mark has always had one of those filters in it since I got it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

dont blow 50 bucks on a k&n unless you really want one

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Thanks Scott (and others). Was really curous as to other's findings!! Wonder if the Motorcraft is different thatn the Fram??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

maybe i should release the inner jew, but i can get two stp's for the price of one motorcraft lol.......i have alot of cars and trucks so i think and buy on a budget, sorry if that offends anyone

Comment

I use the 10" Spectre filter on the Tank. I like it. Well, I also have a cai on it.
                    It sounds healthy especially over 4k.

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Scott, no one should be offended at all! Cheaper price items getting the job done is a good way to go! Bobby

Comment

Hastings filters are the best paper filters I've come across. Really well made and long lasting. STP would be at the bottom of the scale... cheap and not long lasting(a lot less pleats). Spectre is a great value and just as nice as a K&N in my opinion. Did notice a difference when I put one in my '73 mustang with 351.

I wouldn't run an oily filter like a Spectre or K&N in a car with a mass air sensor downstream of the filter though. Because the filter oil can corrupt the sensor and make the car run worse. I would run a paper filter with a mass air sensor.

Comment

If it's properly oiled, it won't make a mess of the MAF. I've had one on my marauder airbox since I installed the airbox/maf. I just cleaned it for the first time a month or so ago, It wasn't very dirty and the maf didn't have any oily residue in it. It's been on there for about 6 years.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The trick with oiled cloth filters and a MAF is to carefully follow the directions when oiling them. The directions will explain how much oil to use, and its not much. Over-oiling it even a little bit can get oil on the MAF. Many people drastically overdo it, so its probably hyped up as a bigger problem than it really is.

I usually end up with whatever paper filter the store has. I've got a mix of Fram, Purolator, Wix, and STP in various things. I had a cone filter and got tired of it. It was a very cheap one without much filter area, and it needed cleaning relatively often. It got black every couple of months, and honestly I got tired of cleaning the thing so I upgraded to a factory airbox.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fram... Original replacement based on your specs

Comment

Working...
                              X