erratic idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

erratic idle

When I do a cold start on my car, the idle goes up and down while on high idle, worse the colder the temp outside. After 30 seconds or so the idle drops down to normal and doesn't idle erratic anymore that i've noticed, nor does it idle erratic when i'm stopped at a light in drive either. Does this sound like a dirty/bad IAC or is it normal? I don't have a tach but to me it sounds like the idle jumps from 1200 to maybe 2000rpm, but like I said after 30 seconds give or take the idle drops and it idles normal again. I just want to clear this up if possible, makes it sound like i'm revving up the engine just after I start it and since a lopo doesn't sound too impressive it's kinda embarrasing, makes me look like a kid/redneck who thinks he has a hot car because of a loud exhaust.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Sound like an IAC problem

Comment

or an Intake temp sensor issue. They get as nasty as the IACs and can cause idling issues as well.

Comment

intake or coolant temp sensor. Get out the voltmeter and visit http://oldfuelinjection.com/ to find out what it ought to read.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't have a Haynes or Chiltons manual for my car yet, where are those sensors located?
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

the air charge temp sensor is on the lower intake near injector #4 (it's the 2-wire plug between #4 and #5 - the front two driver side)

The engine coolant temp sensor is on the intake just behind the thermostat housing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X