Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of oil should I use

Got a 2000 grand marquis with 27k miles what oil should I put in

Probably calls for 5W30 but the Owner's Manual will verify that.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

5W-20

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I believe the 5W20 began in 2001 but do verify that! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

it will call for 5w30. Ford started putting 5w20 in at a later date, but issued a TSB recommending running 5w20 in older 4.6 as well. Really, its your choice. My car uses very little oil, but it seems to use alittle more on 5w20 than it does on 5w30, I noticed no other differences. I run whichever weight is available, and if they have both I run 5w30.
          -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
          1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

te, but issued a TSB recommending running 5w20 in older 4.6 as well.
            Those recommendations are usually to keep oil stocks in the service department to a minimum. Same reason the 5.0 got downgraded to 5w30 in a tsb during the 90's--they only did it so they only need to keep a drum of 5w30 on hand, not a drum of each. Got a worn out 5.0, its going to drink 5w30 on the highway whereas the original 10w30 recomendation would just get sipped (or in my case, not used at all).

Really, its your choice.
            Exactly.
            If everything else you own uses 5w30, no reason to not use it in your 4.6. I use Dexron in my fords power steering becuase I don't want to be bothered with having a lone bottle of Type F kicking around when everything else I have uses Dexron and I've got plenty of bottles of dexron already becuase of it.

Alex.

Comment

I change oil every 4-5000 miles and use 5w30 synthetic in my 1998, usually whatever is on sale, and NAPA Gold oil filters.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
              X