Headlight Low beam issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Low beam issues...

Hi all, glad I stumbled onto this site. Im hoping someone has seen this issue with there car. I have a 1991 Grand Marquis (5.0 blue), went to turn the headlights on the other night and all I got on the low beam setting was parking lights and tail lights. No low beam head lights. High beams however work. I checked fuses, replaced both low beam lights thinking a coincidence happened and both bulbs burn't out, but that was not the case. So now I am sitting with a car with no low beams, but high beams. Is there a relay that could be failing? Has anyone seen this before? Thanks in advance for the replies, Corey

There are no relays, so that is not your problem.

With the headlight switch pulled out entirely and when you pull the high beam lever do the low beams light up then like they normally would?

For a circumstance like yours (both going at the same time) my guess would have to be the headlight switch.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I would go more with the high beam lever. Mine did the same thing untill I replaced the high beam lever. Then I did the relay thing and all is fine.
      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Sounds like the multifunction switch in the column. The headlight switch puts power to the column switch, and that switch will connect either to the wires feeding to the low beams or high beams. Either that, or its a connection between the headlights and the dash. Not sure if the 91 has this, but I know the 80s models had a big connector on the driver's side fender, a little behind the wash bottle that had a ton of wiring in it. Some of the wiring in there fed the headlights, and occasionally the connector would get crusty and the lights end up dying. Usually its somewhat obvious because when you look at the connector, it will have a melted spot in it. See if you see anything like that. if the connector is damaged, usually the fix is to cut the damaged wire right at the connector and bypass the plug.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          There are no relays, so that is not your problem.

With the headlight switch pulled out entirely and when you pull the high beam lever do the low beams light up then like they normally would?

For a circumstance like yours (both going at the same time) my guess would have to be the headlight switch.

If I pull the hig beam lever, The high beams are on, and the low beams are faintly on. I think this issue will be a trial and error issue. Not sure which one to start with first the headlight switch or the multifunction one in the column. Is the column one a big job?

Comment

Column one would be WAY easier.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
            X