Gas Mileage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Mileage Question

Probably been covered, at least in part before. Have a 1995 Merc GM, that is stock. New Motorcraft plugs, wires, TPS, EGR cleaned (along with ports), DP sensor, 5W30 Mobil1. Been getting (according to the Digital Dash) around 14-15 City Mileage (mixed but mostly with A/C on). Is this "normal" or "low"? Brakes are not dragging and wheel alignment is good along with factory tire pressure. Thoughts?????

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

define "city"? That doesn't seem out of line for an aero though, no.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Stop and go traffic - lights, etc.....NO highway. 0-50 or so usually.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Normal.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

WOW! My other car (1987 Merc GM with the 5.0) does better! Maybe time to sweat and turn off the A/C. Wonder what difference that would do besides make me uncomfortable?

Comment

I'd venture to guess at least a mpg (which is about 7%)

You may also have less advantageous gearing (3.55 seem to be the best in city). It's also very possible for an aero to be significantly heavier than a box with a 5.0, depending on options.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Curious about the weight issue. VERY good point! Got to look that up!!

Comment

dead of summer, the 93 would get 19mpg with all city with AC blasting. Check tire pressure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Tire pressure is as stated on Door Jam label. Have tried higher pressure (35 psi) but didn't seem to change the numbers. Bobby

Comment

got me then. I would suspect a sticky caliper (won't generally feel it if it's a rear one) that's possibly dragging a bit... or the e-brake cable is stuck on one or both.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I guess the drag would have to be barely minimal as the car REALLY moves. Maybe the mileage is as good as it is going to get???

Comment

maybe. If it's got the towing gears (or better) then that's probably about right. My 93 has the base setup with 2.73 gears in it. It will have 3.55 TL in it when scott's done with it though.

Comment

Not sure what the gear ratios are. Didn't have it new. How can I tell??

Comment

Find the axle code on the door sticker then decode it here. There also should be a tag holding on to one of the axle housing cover bolts.

Comment

TR = U65XX and AX = 5. Does that help??

Comment

Working...
                              X