No announcement yet.

65mph+ miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowing in Canada in late December? Unheard of!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Im starting to think it may be a good idea just to ignore it and see what it does over time. Maybe in the spring or summer ill feel ambitious enough to do some gasket and vac line replacement. But im not gonna do it in the snow.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

You're as picky as I am - IT'S A GOOD THING! However, if it is not screwing with your MPG's or driveability I'd leave it for the better weather.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Well im still getting 23-26 mpg on the highway so it can wait.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            im gonna say unlikly but, i never like to rule anything out when not sure of the parts. my brothers 88 town car does a similar thing but does it a lower speeds. you feel the miss here and there. iv done alot of testing and what not, to the EEC components. i have no codes, and get 90s on cylinder ballance tests. i am looking for vac leaks now. i have done EGR/throttle body gaskets and checked hoses, so far. one thing i notice and will replace next, is the plenum gasket. where the lower and upper intake(plenum) meet, its very black. it is just like that, only around the gasket area. one can only think, that there is a leak and its sucking the leaky oil, from the rocker gaskets. i will try to get a pic, if i can open the hood, since its covered in snow and ice from yesterdays snow.

they're all like that if they've been used. just blackened from EGR and PCV gases.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

this cant be normal. lol
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1268302

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

considering EGR gases and PCV blowback... yeah... it can. Just means the gasket has worn out. New gasket and enjoy. And check the PCV valve/screen. That's one of the easiest gaskets to replace if the screws holding the name plate down on top aren't seized up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

here is another pic.

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1268303
                  the gasket is the onlything ti have not touched lol. the black shit made me think about leaks. when i get a chance, i will replace it. things come apart pretty nice from this car. here is a pic(i never posted pics of this linc) of the patient.

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1268304

Comment

you might check for seepage from the EGR spacer of coolant if the coolant lines are still connected. Hopefully that's not an issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

no seepage. just did the throttle/EGR gaskets. ever since i did the seafoam treatment, the car idles high. good, but high. me thinks the carbon has been washed away from the gasket area, inside and caused vac leak! i know the theory sounds good lol.

Comment

sounds like a good theory to me. Still needs new gasket.

Comment

^i think your on to something sly! ...on a side note, i sounds like a total n00b lol

Comment

Ok so today I went out and sprayed some WD-40 in the egr solenoid (popped off the cap and filter and sprayed it down in there). I noticed that if you put your finger over that little hole in there that it will cause the engine to run rough and if you leave it on there too long it will die is this normal? The only other thing I found is that if you put the car in park or neutral and rev it up there is a certain rpm range about 1/3 throttle maybe a little more where this miss will happen below that its fine above that its fine. Its a great enough miss that when in park or neutral that you can hear it through the exhaust and it slightly shakes the car. Dont know if this helps but I ask two local autoparts stores about a high rpm miss on a SEFI 5.0 one told me to check timing (later today) the other said it sounds like I have a collapsed lifer (I doubt it) or a valve floating but if I did why would it go away if I went faster wouldn't it just get worse?

Comment

Ok so found out if I rev the engine in park or neutral it will miss quite often somewhere between 1/4-1/2 throttle if i speed it up no miss slow it down no miss so its rpm specific. Hence the reason it doesnt do it under 60 or over 75 and of course I cannot find anyone else who has had the same problem. Today I checked the timing and its set perfectly at 10* BTC also replaced the tps due to a dead spot causing sputtering on slow acceleration so I fixed that but still have the miss. At this point im not sure if I should just start throwing money at it or leave it go till it either gets worse or goes away havent checked codes in a week or two I'll check em tomorrow but im sure I'll still get an 11 any ideas? Just a recap new plugs,wires,rotor,cap,IAC,TPS,egr solenoid,ignition coil,battery,alternator,map sensor,TFI module and im sure theres something else im not thinking of all this has been replaced since the beginning of july 2011. About the only things I havent replaced are the Air Charge Temp Sensor which I dont have a clue if it could cause this or not, and the O2 sensors which I doubt are bad because I still get 23-35mpg on the highway.
                              Last edited by mercurygm88; 01-08-2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

As a last resort im replacing the dizzy on thursday or friday. If that doesnt do it ill just have ignore it until it gets worse or goes away.

Comment

Working...
                                X