Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

side to side tire play... not the tie rods... HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side to side tire play... not the tie rods... HELP!!!

My "04 Town Car has lateral play when tire is off the ground on the passenger's side. The driver's side is tight as a drum. I found this after feeling a shimmey in the steering wheel at 65 mph. Looking underneath I could see that the tie rod was moving with the tire so I thought the inner tie rod end must be bad. I replaced the inner tie rod and the outer since I had it apart. The darn thing still has play in it and the tie rod is still moving with the tire. I have never seen the inside of a steering rack. Is there anything inside that can cause one side to have play in it while the other side is tight? Or is it a solid piece going through the inside?

Any insight would be great!!!
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by lincolnlarry; 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM.
    sigpic
    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

I assume your wheel bearing is good and well packed with grease? I'd be checking that if you haven't already...start with the simplest/cheapest stuff first!
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

since this is an '04 i assume it has sealed non-adjustable wheel bearings. Is there any noise along with the shimmy? Such as a deeper droning sound? I severely doubt it is the rack, and if so it would affect the other side and you'd be experiencing other problems, such as hard steering. Other's will chime in however i believe to replace the bearing it must be pushed out with a press.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I'd guess bearing too. If so it should move in any direction, not just with hands at 9 and 3 o'clock but also 12 and 6, etc.

If you do have to change it, you generally buy the whole rotten unit, pretty expensive for the not-junk ones (compared to the old in rotor ones anyway)... looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqNHJC8E7z!vfpilBPDImY6-3!~~60_12.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1268348

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

The good thing about that unit is at least it wouldn't require a press which makes doing it yourself easier in this case. If it helps at all I've seen a few wheel bearings go bad (or out of adjustment) that only gives lateral movement, when it should have moved in the vertical as well.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

hub bearing would be my guess

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

if it's not the bearing i'll eat my hat

i actually just bought a new bearing for my grand prix, it is also the sealed bearing/hub assembly type.

i have to say that i quite like the fact that i don't have to pack it with grease.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

^ i hope you like replacing them all the time then lol...

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Is that a remark because it is a pontiac or because it is a sealed bearing?? the sealed bearings SHOULD last almost the lifetime of the car (with normal use and length of ownership aka 100K miles). Heck, My corolla, and subaru both with around 140K miles have the original sealed bearings with no play or noise.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                    they're currently 16 years old and only now starting to make noise. 160k miles. i might badmouth the shitmobile, but it's not really that bad.
                    Last edited by 1990LTD; 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                      the original sealed bearings on the 93 are still good as of when I left the car with Scott. 200K plus miles on it too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Bone head move of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was moving the tire the first time I just lifted the tire from under the control arm... finding the loose tie rod.

After replacing the tie rod, I didn't realize I had the other tire off the ground just far enough where It was able to move a bit.

I guess I better use all the brain cells for the rest of the year!!!! There's a long way to go!!!!!
                        sigpic
                        89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                        "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

It's a good stupid that saves you money

My old 97 MGM had an original bearing on the drivers' side, lasted over 220k miles. Pass side went at, um, 160-170k or so? But in rotor bearings are so cheap.

Pete
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

My '99 Grand Marquis with 234k (iirc) had to have a bearing & upper ball joint done right after I got it from my brother last year.
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                            X